3 posters
AuthorMessage
Carissa5984
Carissa5984

Female
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2015-10-31

Personal trainer reaction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Personal trainer reaction   Personal trainer reaction EmptyFri 06 Nov 2015, 11:59 pm

Thank-you all for your words of encouragement! As each day passes, I feel more and more comfortable in my decision.

I have no intention to stop seeing my PT before or even after my sleeve as I will still need to work hard to loose the weight because I am *shockingly* currently at a BMI over 50!!! I will need her help even after I get the sleeve to loose the weight, tone up and get sexy - and keep the weight off!!

But I do agree - perhaps she thinks that I would ditch her when I loose the weight. Like I said, I don't have any intention to ditch her. I may have to talk to her some more about it. Tell her my reasoning. What my plans are. Tell her that even though she is saying no, I am my own person and have already booked the consult with the surgeon. And perhaps we have to have the conversation that if she doesn't support me, I will look elsewhere for a different PT who will?

Just such a shame that she reacted so negatively in the first place because I really like my PT and I enjoy coming to the gym. Perhaps she has now had some time to think about it, I can talk to her again about it all.

Wish me luck!! lol
Back to top Go down
KatyOverWeighty
KatyOverWeighty

Female
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2015-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Personal trainer reaction   Personal trainer reaction EmptyFri 06 Nov 2015, 2:18 am

Hehe yes Carissa.. I'm a huge advocate of ignoring the self-absorbed opinions from people I actually love, so someone who has a vested interest in me staying overweight? Bless her for trying...

Glad you came to the decision on your own to ignore her.

FTF - u should check out David Thorne's other emails, there's loads of them. He's a legend!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Personal trainer reaction   Personal trainer reaction EmptyFri 06 Nov 2015, 1:40 am

Bahaha, standing at my computer crying with laughter - Katey, where do you get this stuff ???!!! Too many funny quotes to list !!!

Carissa, perhaps you could tell your PT that you're swapping one less effective 'tool' (her) for another more effective and personalised one (the sleeve) :-)
Back to top Go down
KatyOverWeighty
KatyOverWeighty

Female
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2015-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Personal trainer reaction   Personal trainer reaction EmptyFri 06 Nov 2015, 1:19 am

'Tool' being the operative word for your PT in particular. She's just money hungry. Let's face it, if there weren't any fat self-loathing people in the world then PTs would be out of a job and they would need to apply their limited intelligence elsewhere.

If you're after a chuckle, have a read of this email exchange...

http://www.27bslash6.com/buffed.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Personal trainer reaction   Personal trainer reaction EmptyThu 05 Nov 2015, 9:32 pm

Welcome, Carissa.

I lost 40kg over a couple of years but last year, that came to a halt and the trajectory has only been upwards since. I'm so sick of it. Over the past 30 years I estimate I've gained and lost more than 150kg - more than two average sized people. The insanity has to stop. Oh, my GP told me not to have the surgery because in his experience people replace one addiction (food) with another (alcohol). Shut the f**k up, doc.

Kudos to you for making a decision to improve your health. Ignore your trainer who's most likely never been obese and has therefore never known how soul destroying it is to be constantly hungry or, if not hungry, feeling constantly deprived on yet another diet. There's a reason only 3-5% of people who lose a substantial amount of weight keep it off, remind her of that next time she opens her mouth.

Also, read this.

http://www.lessdangerouscurves.com/2014/06/will-vsg-work-for-me.html#comment-form

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Personal trainer reaction   Personal trainer reaction EmptyThu 05 Nov 2015, 10:53 am

Hi Carissa, and welcome - i don't know if it's the same 12 week challenge as my gym runs (national franchise), but I won it at my gym last year, after considering WLS and thinking "No, I'll give it ONE more go". I din't lose as much as you, but lost the most kg & body fat % at my gym, so I won - yay! Then I put it all back on....and more, in the next 12 months. I have lost the same 25 kg + SO many times over the last 13 years, I finally realised that I just can't do it & keep it off myself. I do plenty of exercise (still - although I feel the toll of carrying extra weight right now) but I can't take control of my appetite, cravings & eating habits!

I would not tell any PT - they are pretty much guaranteed to talk it down & tell you not to have it done, they can help you, blah blah blah. Yes - they can help you with the fitness part, not the eating part - they can't watch you 24/7. I wouldn't tell her you've made an appointment with the surgeon - it's none of her business! It is actually no one else's business - it's a huge decision, and it's one you have to make for yourself, in discussion with medical experts, not someone who knows how to exercise!

I've only told a few people, and am definitely not going to tell any of the instructors/PTs at my gym, not even my very favourite one - I think it's in their nature to think it's 'the easy way out', or 'cheating', etc. You need to make up your own mind through research and information, you don't need a misinformed ,negative opinion clouding your judgement. Just my 2 c
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Personal trainer reaction   Personal trainer reaction EmptyThu 05 Nov 2015, 10:32 am

Never had a PT, but I got the same reaction from the pre-op exercise physiologist I saw.  Completely clueless of the struggle.   

When I saw him, I'd lost about 12 kilos.  He really upset me.  I never went back, but screw him - look at me now.  

Given we pay these people, they have a choice to be supportive and to work with us.  Otherwise, SACK THEM.  I did.
Back to top Go down
Carissa5984
Carissa5984

Female
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2015-10-31

PostSubject: Personal trainer reaction   Personal trainer reaction EmptyThu 05 Nov 2015, 7:53 am

Hi,

I'm a 31yo who has lost 21kg this year during a 12 week challenge at my local gym, then put 10kg back on and now am on track to loosing weight again - 5kg this week alone! I train with my trainer 3 times a week, and eat clean 'most' of the time.

So I made a completely personal decision to enquire about getting a sleeve a few weeks ago because I was sick of the yoyo up and down weight game. I wanted a permanent tool to help me keep the weight off once and for all.

I was excited about my decision and told my trainer about my plans. That was the worst decision I have ever made! She was completely against it! I would probably go as far as to say she has told me not to have it done. Crossed professional line I feel! I was quite angry, and hurt. I thought she would support me doing this!

It took me about a week to come to the conclusion that it is MY decision and I can do what I like with my body. This surgery is a tool for me. Having a trainer is a TOOL for me too. She can't control my life.

So I made an appt with the surgeon for a consultation - the earliest date I could get was March 3. And I have not told her. I am almost afraid to tell her.

Has anyone else had some bizarre reactions from their personal trainers?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Personal trainer reaction   Personal trainer reaction Empty

Back to top Go down

Personal trainer reaction
Page 1 of 1