AuthorMessage
Toran
Part of the furniture
Toran

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2014-01-21

Needing some advise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyWed 10 Dec 2014, 5:27 am

That's what I looked like driving off from the accountant spot on

see so bloody annoyed I repeated myself lol  Needing some advise 427584
Back to top Go down
Toran
Part of the furniture
Toran

Female

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyWed 10 Dec 2014, 5:26 am

That's what I looked like driving off from the accountant spot on

Last edited by Toran on Wed 10 Dec 2014, 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyWed 10 Dec 2014, 4:38 am

Bloody taxman!!

I'm waiting till after christmas to do my taxes now...

Road Rage

(I don't know why I used that picture for the taxman, it just made me laugh... hehe).
Back to top Go down
Toran
Part of the furniture
Toran

Female

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyTue 09 Dec 2014, 10:37 am

Hi Greenfrog,  

I only did mine yesterday the answer I got was the same if you hadn't claimed last year, poor accountant. It was all bad news first time I've left with a frown instead of a smile in a long time. Right before Christmas it's BS.  I walked out with a massive bill I'm hoping to be able to pay off, bugger giving it to them in one hit.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyTue 09 Dec 2014, 3:47 am

I tried to work it out last night and got confused and gave up...
Maybe I should just do my tax and see what happens... hehe

Thanks aussiearies
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyMon 08 Dec 2014, 12:02 pm

Sorry Greenfrog.

This is off the ATO website

On 14 May 2013, the government announced in the 2013–14 Budget that it will phase out the net medical expenses tax offset.
From 1 July 2013, those taxpayers who received the offset in their 2012–13 income tax assessment will continue to be eligible for the offset for the 2013–14 income year if they have eligible out-of-pocket medical expenses above the relevant claim threshold. Similarly, those who receive the tax offset in their 2013–14 income tax assessment will continue to be eligible for the offset in 2014–15.
The changes mentioned above will not apply to all taxpayers – the offset will continue to be available for taxpayers with out-of-pocket medical expenses relating to disability aids, attendant care or aged care expenses until 1 July 2019.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyMon 08 Dec 2014, 9:28 am

Soo... if you have never claimed medical before, you can never claim ever?

Ohhh.... I hate tax!!!!

Grumble, grumble!!

Roar
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyMon 08 Dec 2014, 6:39 am

If you claimed medical expenses in 2013 you can claim in 2014. You could only claim in 2013 if you claimed in 2012.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyMon 08 Dec 2014, 2:14 am

What I can't claim it on tax!!!
bugger!!!
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptySun 07 Dec 2014, 5:00 pm

Nini wrote:
No you can't claim medical bills if you didn't claim last year. They are phasing this rebate out, unfortunately. I kept every bill, made an extensive xcel spreadsheet to keep track of all my medical bills out of pocket expenses (over $8000) only to be told I couldn't claim anything 

Needing some advise 81722

Nini.

NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS!  One year I spent $18k, last year I spent $16k (this is all out of pocket from PHI and Medicare claims) and like you did the excel spreadsheet nearly falling over when I realised how much I had spent and no wonder I am always broke!  Will need to have a chat to an accountant to get around this as I know my expenses the new financial year will be over - fingers crossed no more surgery and massive gap fees though!!
Back to top Go down
allykat
allykat

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyThu 04 Dec 2014, 8:20 am

Thanks again for all the advise, I will go and have another chat to them about everything. I just want them to be happy & healthy and want him to be able to see his kids grow up!
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyWed 03 Dec 2014, 8:52 pm

No you can't claim medical bills if you didn't claim last year. They are phasing this rebate out, unfortunately. I kept every bill, made an extensive xcel spreadsheet to keep track of all my medical bills out of pocket expenses (over $8000) only to be told I couldn't claim anything 

Needing some advise 81722

Nini.
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyWed 03 Dec 2014, 8:45 pm

Garfield99 wrote:

Now also remember, anything you have paid medical wise and it's over $2500, you can claim 20% back from the tax man.  Might not be much but hold onto those receipts and claim.  This includes buying degas from the chemist, a neck heat pack, a taxi because your car broke down and you had to drive there - anything you can relate to medical expenses from your surgery, you can claim.  

This may not be the case anymore as this has changed over recent years so please check the Tax Office website before relying on this money back.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyWed 03 Dec 2014, 6:07 pm

Get PHI just for him and he will have to wait the 12 months waiting period before being seen anyway.  Yes there will be a gap fee and that is negotiable with the surgeons.

First step - go see GP and get a referrral for a public and private surgeon.  Take photocopies and get PHI.  The name on the letter of the referral means nothing, you can use any surgeon as long as they have a referral letter.  The public hospital may decide his condition is more serious and bump others to get his done - it happens if his case is considered more serious then others and at 200kg - it's serious.  If not, your next step is to find the right private health surgeon and that is not only the best because this is your life at risk (I almost died from mine so don't take it lightly) and either save up the gap in that 12 months time, whilst asking your doctor for a discount if at all possible and prepare yourself for surgery.

There are other other out of pocket expenses you need to consider.  Anesthetists will rarely discount if every so you could be up for $300 there and there is the medications you will need when you get discharged that you will need to pay.  Minimum $150 depending on how things which includes painkillers, reflux meds etc.

Now also remember, anything you have paid medical wise and it's over $2500, you can claim 20% back from the tax man.  Might not be much but hold onto those receipts and claim.  This includes buying degas from the chemist, a neck heat pack, a taxi because your car broke down and you had to drive there - anything you can relate to medical expenses from your surgery, you can claim.  I was on panadeine forte and yes, works put didn't relax me, so I bought over the counter strong pain with calmative (cheap brand of Mersyndol) and claimed that back.  Plus helped me sleep better :-)
Back to top Go down
Maryle

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyMon 01 Dec 2014, 9:32 pm

I had a friend in a similar boat but requiring knee surgery. Three of us chipped in and paid up front for PHI a years premium in advance for the lowest cover needed for her surgery. All she had to do was wait her waiting period and save as much as possible to cover any out of pockets.

It sure beat the minimum five year public hospital wait list and solved the "what to give for a present" problem for a long time. Her op went well BTW.
Back to top Go down
emmabear
emmabear

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2014-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyMon 01 Dec 2014, 6:55 am

Does he have any superannuation? See if he can access the full amount to self fund?
Back to top Go down
Ellio17
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyMon 01 Dec 2014, 6:29 am

If its a choice of life or death, I'm sure they could afford it. Even just for him at  single rate.
Life is all about choices, Lets hope they make the right choice.
Back to top Go down
allykat
allykat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyMon 01 Dec 2014, 4:40 am

Thanks for your replies. I have spoken to my friend about getting PHI for just him but not sure they would be able to afford the premium. I will have another chat to her about it. I will do some more research and hopefully can point them in the right direction. I know having a sleeve will be able to change his life like it has done for so many others.
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyMon 01 Dec 2014, 3:15 am

Sorry, just re-read your post.  Can he afford PHI just for himself?  Would be cheaper than a family or couple rate.
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyMon 01 Dec 2014, 3:12 am

Hey Allykat,

I'd give a clinic/surgeon a call and talk to the receptionists, hopefully they should be able to help out re: public system and WLS in your state.  I don't think it's widely done, and like Bumbles said, huge waiting list.  They'd be better off getting PHI and waiting 12 months, then using super for the balance if they don't have savings.  I got my sleeve done without PHI, however it's a very big risk to take.  And the only reason I could afford that was because I live in NSW and there's one public hospital that you can go into as a self funded private patient in a public hospital, reducing the amount from approx. $20k to $9k.  Good luck in your researching.

Cheers, DayleD
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptyMon 01 Dec 2014, 2:22 am

This would be a question for a dr as im unsure what the current situation is in the public system. I had heard they are not taking any more people as the waiting list is huge. However a friend of mine was sleeved about 2 yrs ago publicly and he waited about 5yrs on the list.
Back to top Go down
allykat
allykat

Female

PostSubject: Needing some advise   Needing some advise EmptySun 30 Nov 2014, 10:53 pm

Hi everyone, I have been trying to find ways to help out a good friend. To try and cut a long story short, her husband has had a weight problem his whole life and at the moment he would weigh, at a guess, 200kgs and is around 5'11". He has a family history of heart problems and epilepsy and my friend is really concerned that he is going to have a heart attack if he doesnt drop some weight. They cant afford PHI to cover WLS and i was wondering if there is any way to have a sleeve done through the public system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Needing some advise   Needing some advise Empty

Back to top Go down

Needing some advise
Page 1 of 1