tracey
Sponsor
tracey

Female
Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 11:13 am

Hey Steph, I originally was sent to my surgeon because of severe reflux. I had had it for over 20 years but it got to the stage I couldn't bend down without throwing up. Pain at night was terrible even on meds. As I was having surgery anyway for an 8cm hiatus hernia up in chest area I decided (not happily) to give the band a go at the same time. When test results came back doc said he couldn't do the band because of the damage/weakness in my stomach, but would like me to consider the sleeve. I think I said yes straight away. lol.

Anyway after surgery I had lots of nausea and reflux! This was on top of stitches in diaphram. Was nearly three days before I could swallow even water.

As I said in a previous post still on Losec and probably will be forever. Have tried a few months ago to stop taking them but by about the third day my chest just burnt. While it is still reflux it is still nothing compared to what I went through before surgery. At least now one small tablet a day keeps me pain free and as Apple said, stops any more damage to my body.

hugs
tracey
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 9:29 am

reflux is not something you can just live with it actually causes serious damage to your body and in some cases their are links to cancer from it if you do NOT control it. The hernia repair is almost always successful but there is always some whom it doesnt work for. Tho some surgeons reguard it as a success if meds control the reflux. It just depends on the surgeon. I am one of those who suffered severe uncontrolable reflux even with meds before my sleeve and still require reflux meds 2 years after surgery. I think from memory here I have heard of only 1 person who did not suffer reflux before surgery who has ended up with reflux after surgery long term, as in still on meds more than a year out. But maybe the forum is busier now there might be a couple more.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 9:19 am

Janette wrote:
I also take Losec.
I have been taking it for 8 years for a hiatus hernia and reflux before surgery, it worked really well, so this was drug of choice post-op.

Hi Janette,

I also had a hiatus hernia which was operated on at the same time as my sleeve and I am still on Nexium for it. It's going on 2 years now and I have tried to cut back on the medication but wake up at night with reflux if I do. I thought the op for hiatus hernia was meant to fix this and the medication would only be needed for a short time. What's the point of the surgery if I can't ever get off the medication anyway? Has anyone else had the same thing happen?
Would love to hear from others who had hiatus hernia op's.

steph
Back to top Go down
vogue
vogue

Female
Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Thanks for your feedback & advise   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 7:40 am

Thanks guy's for your feedback & advise, Im taking it all on board Heartburn!!!! 217555
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 7:38 am

I also take Losec.
I have been taking it for 8 years for a hiatus hernia and reflux before surgery, it worked really well, so this was drug of choice post-op.
Back to top Go down
tracey
Sponsor
tracey

Female
Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 7:30 am

I have had a lot of trouble with reflux before and after sleeve surgery. I was on Losec before surgery and went on to the higher dose of Somec after. In the early stages I had a lot of trouble with vomiting and found I couldn't take Somec with food in my tummy or eat straight away afterwards. The morning tablet on an empty stomach and a cup of peppermint tea was no worries.

I googled somec and losec together and found a study done on the effects of each one. They both were nearly identical BUT I was surprised to see they had very different ingredients. After this I went back on Losec and have had no problems. I still take the low dose every morning and probably will forever. To me its not a big deal as that is the only medication I have to take nearly 14months post sleeve and I don't see it as a big price to pay.

As theres a range of meds out there for reflux, you just have to find what works for you....but don't put up with the pain when you don't have to.

hugs
tracey
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 7:04 am

i am a bit of a gulper when swollowing tablets. i have been known to get a horrid pain from a big pocket of air that feels trapped by the water. i found it easier to take them with a spoon of yoghurt for a while.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
vogue
vogue

Female

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 6:50 am

applesauce wrote:
I would try another somac with just a sip of water, sounds like you took a big gulp of water and it came back with a rush.

applesauce

Geepers thast an understatement!!!!!!!!! Heartburn!!!! 878453

I will, maybe with dinner :) thanks for that xx
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 6:49 am

I would try another somac with just a sip of water, sounds like you took a big gulp of water and it came back with a rush.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 6:32 am

I had it quite bad at the start and still have it now but only take a tablet every 2 - 3 days.
Back to top Go down
vogue
vogue

Female

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 6:28 am

Libby wrote:
Hi Vogue,

You need to give Dr Leongs office a ring and ask for a prescription for Somac (I think there are 2 strengths - over the counter and prescription). Dr Leong doesn't give out anti-reflux medication like the others do, you have to ask for it.

Heartburn!!!! 217555

HI Libby, I went to the chemist today & got Somac ( over the counter) dont know what happened but within seconds of swallowing it & projectiled everywhere!!!!!!!!!! Not sure if its just coincsidence but suffice to say that tablet didnt stay down :) Did you have any reflux trouble?
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 6:25 am

Hi Vogue,

You need to give Dr Leongs office a ring and ask for a prescription for Somac (I think there are 2 strengths - over the counter and prescription). Dr Leong doesn't give out anti-reflux medication like the others do, you have to ask for it.

Heartburn!!!! 217555
Back to top Go down
vogue
vogue

Female

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptySun 14 Mar 2010, 9:19 pm

shortsleeves wrote:
Hi Vogue,

Sorry to hear you are suffering as I do also with the same, although I have to say that it appears to be slowly subsiding. I take Nexium each day and have done so since the procedure. Somac is available over the counter but you will need a prescription for Nexium (and there are two strengths).

I just looked up the symptons/definition of heartburn and reflux and it appears it is one of the SAME thing.

This is what I found:

There are a number of symptoms of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (often just called reflux) with the most noticeable being heartburn. It is estimated that about one third of adults experience heartburn at least once a month, with about 10 per cent of the population having heartburn once a week and 5 per cent at least daily.

Heartburn is a burning pain that is generally felt in the chest area behind the breastbone. The burning pain moves upwards during an episode of reflux. It can sometimes be felt in the throat. The pain of heartburn is usually provoked by eating or by bending over or straining.

Anyway hope you receive relief soon
Take good care
Bruna

acupuncture

Thanks for that Bruna, off to the chemist today after another shitty night of pain.. Heartburn!!!! 217555
Back to top Go down
shortsleeves
Part of the furniture
shortsleeves

Female
Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-11-03

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptySun 14 Mar 2010, 12:13 pm

Hi Vogue,

Sorry to hear you are suffering as I do also with the same, although I have to say that it appears to be slowly subsiding. I take Nexium each day and have done so since the procedure. Somac is available over the counter but you will need a prescription for Nexium (and there are two strengths).

I just looked up the symptons/definition of heartburn and reflux and it appears it is one of the SAME thing.

This is what I found:

There are a number of symptoms of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (often just called reflux) with the most noticeable being heartburn. It is estimated that about one third of adults experience heartburn at least once a month, with about 10 per cent of the population having heartburn once a week and 5 per cent at least daily.

Heartburn is a burning pain that is generally felt in the chest area behind the breastbone. The burning pain moves upwards during an episode of reflux. It can sometimes be felt in the throat. The pain of heartburn is usually provoked by eating or by bending over or straining.

Anyway hope you receive relief soon
Take good care
Bruna

acupuncture
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptySun 14 Mar 2010, 8:46 am

My surgeon has his patients take Somac or Losec, etc for 6 months post-op, they were given to me before I left the hospital. I was even give Somac IV when in hospital.

Good luck Heartburn!!!! 217555
Back to top Go down
vogue
vogue

Female

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptySun 14 Mar 2010, 3:12 am

applesauce wrote:
It is reflux about half of those with new sleeves get this for the first few months. 99% grow out of it by 6 months. But do not put up withit phone your surgeon or GP and ask for a script tell them it is reflux and they will give you nexium (i think I spelt that wrong hehehe) or somac. Go to the shop and grab some chewable quick ease for tonight to make it a tad more comfortable until you can get a script monday. There are stronger over the counter tablets at the chemist if you have one open near you on a sunday. the name excapes me but it begins with and R and it use to be script only.

applesauce

Will do, thanks so much once again.. Heartburn!!!! 217555
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptySun 14 Mar 2010, 3:00 am

It is reflux about half of those with new sleeves get this for the first few months. 99% grow out of it by 6 months. But do not put up withit phone your surgeon or GP and ask for a script tell them it is reflux and they will give you nexium (i think I spelt that wrong hehehe) or somac. Go to the shop and grab some chewable quick ease for tonight to make it a tad more comfortable until you can get a script monday. There are stronger over the counter tablets at the chemist if you have one open near you on a sunday. the name excapes me but it begins with and R and it use to be script only.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
vogue
vogue

Female

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! EmptySun 14 Mar 2010, 2:42 am

Hi Guy's, does anyone suffer constant heartburn? & if its not heartburn Im feeling its like someone has put a rock on my chest after I eat & drink...I have to sleep upright at night to kill the pain.. Hopefully this is just temporary!! Heartburn!!!! 697586 I look forward to your feedback Heartburn!!!! 217555
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heartburn!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heartburn!!!!   Heartburn!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Heartburn!!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: