Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
missmel
missmel

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2014-01-12

Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptyThu 15 May 2014, 10:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi Everyone,

Im Mel and I just recently had my initial consult with Dr Wong.  My sleeve date is 19/6/14 and Im on Day 2 of my 5 week Opti pre op diet.  So far Im handling it ok but hey it's only day 2 lol.  Just wondering how much can I expect to lose on the opti phase? 

I live on the Central Coast of NSW with my hubby and 18 month old boy/girl twins

Really looking forward to getting to know some other sleevers for mutual ongoing support and encouragement.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Fittru

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptySun 18 May 2014, 10:17 am

Weight loss: I have lost around 57kg all up. My highest was 134 and I now sit at app 77kg most days. Could probably loose a few more but don't do anywhere near enough exercise or watch my intake enough. I really am quite happy at a standard size 14. It's smaller than I was at 14!!!!!!!!
Food intake: definitely more since about the 12 mth mark. Breakfast is usually 1 piece of toast or occasionally an egg but still only one.lunch is a sandwich or if out will try to order a protein source. Eg steak and salad. I eat as much protein as I can and leave the rest. I can definitely eat more at lunch than at dinner time!
Dinner is what ever ther family is having. I have a hubby and 2 teenage sons so could be anything, only in a much smaller size. Probably up to a cup in total. I have not found any food I can't eat and have NEVER vomited since my op. Definitely have over eaten on occasion and been incredibly uncomfortable for a spell but never had it come back up.

I realise how lucky I have been. I had a text book recovery and no problems at all. But that said, I followed every rule I was given to the letter! I am not sure i will ever say I love my sleeve (as others do) but I appreciate it for what it has given me and the new life I now have.

Best of luck with your journey and look forward to hearing more as you move forward. Xxx
Back to top Go down
Kell86

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptySun 18 May 2014, 10:16 am

I am from Mardi (near Tuggerah)
I have seen Megan and she was lovely and very helpful, I am also going to see a psychologist (my own) beforehand as I really don't want to go back to my old bad habits after the surgery.

I am only taking a week and a half off work as Dr Wong said it should be enough if anything goes smoothly because I have a sedentary office job.

Are you using health insurance?  I am paying myself so my biggest worry is if there was some kind of complication as I cant really afford to have more surgery etc at a private hospital, I just have to think positive that everything will be ok!

Your pic looks familiar, do you work in Sydney by any chance?
Back to top Go down
missmel
missmel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptySun 18 May 2014, 9:52 am

Oops sorry I missed you Spaz, thank you for the warm welcome.  Umina is a nice part of the coast, Im actually on the other end up north.  If you can do the 5 weeks, I guess i better suck it up and just do it hehehehe....thanks so much for your support xx
Back to top Go down
missmel
missmel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptySun 18 May 2014, 9:49 am

Hi Girls,

Thank you so much for making me feel so welcome... I am loving the forum and all the helpful info is very much appreciated.

For all you CC girls, what part of the Coast do you live? Im in Blue Haven.  Maybe we could have a Optifast shake one day? (instead of a coffee hehehehehe)

Kell, Im very excited to meet someone who is seeing Dr Wong Too.  He seems very professional and experienced so Im sure we will be in good hands.  I tried to get my date for the 12th too but he was booked out so had to wait another week.  Have you seen Megan yet?  She is so nice and very helpful too. 
I am nervous too, especially going under a general and knowing what they will be doing to my body etc, but it will all be worth it in the end.

Kylie, that is very exciting we have our op on the same day - shame it's not in the same place so you could keep me calm lol.  You are lucky having only 2 weeks of opti - but it's not that bad really - I seem to be really suffering from the crankies more than craving food etc.  Good luck hun I will be following your progress.

Nightowl, lovely to meet you too. So glad to hear your op went well with no complications.  I have heard Dr Munro is very good also.  Congrats on your weight loss so far.  I have a BMI of 50 and am short too so I guess that's why they want our liver to shrink as much as possible.  Dr Wong never mentioned the meat, so I am just having my 3 meal replacements plus a bowl of homemade vege soup.  It seems to be working so far - looking forward to being post op though lol

Fittru, yes I keep hearing great things about Dr MUnro and I really like Megan.  She is so helpful and really knows her stuff.  Do you mind if I ask how much weight you have lost and what it's like 1.5 years later?  How much do you normally eat these days?

Glenice, I have heard that about the lady not being operated on and even my suregon said he has had instances where he has had to wake the patient and tell them to do another 4 weeks of opti so I decided there is NO way I am going through that...so Ive been sticking to it to a tee.  I love Kiama so much.  I actually grew up in Narooma (a few hrs south of there) and really love the South Coast.  Would love to move back there but omg the house prices are through the roof!  Would love for my kids to grow up somewhere like that....better keep buying lotto tix lol.  How's everything going 2 mths post op?
Im so sorry to hear about your fur babies xxx

Day 5 and Im doing ok, but seriously aggitated and cranky (especially with the hubby) poor thing although I did pre-warn him I would turn into a first rate biatch during this first week.  I just hope it goes away as every little thing is getting to me to the point where I have to walk away and go into another room for 5 mins to calm down.  Ah well I shall soldier on.  Off to work tomorrow, I wonder how the troops there will welcome my mood  Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 557634 

Have a great week everyone xoxoxoxox
Back to top Go down
Kell86

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptySat 17 May 2014, 3:48 am

Hi Mel,

I too am from the CC and am having my surgery with Dr Wong, though my date is a week earlier.
I am doing 4 weeks of Optifast (Dr recommended 3) and am currently on day 3, it is hard but I am trying to think of the reason I am doing it and if I can't do it now how can I expect to adopt healthy eating habits for life?

I am so nervous about the surgery (mainly about nausea/complications) but Dr Wong seems to be quite experienced and very nice so I am sure we are in good hands!
Back to top Go down
Kylie21
Kylie21

Female
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2014-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptyFri 16 May 2014, 11:01 pm

Hiya Mel,

We have the same op date!! I'm super excited!!! I have 2 weeks of opti which I will hopefully conquer. I am doing lite n easy at the moment but not really having much success. I have lost but not as much as I thought I would.

To Glenice,

I love Kiama!! We go there for Christmas. Maybe we could catch up to swap stories. I'm from Melbourne.

Love reading everyone's stories and encouragement!!

Kylie😊
Back to top Go down
nightowl

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptyFri 16 May 2014, 1:42 pm

Hi Mel, Great to see more coasties on the forum! I'm originally from the Illawarra and have been living and working on the central coast for 25 years. I'm a 48yo health worker with a wonderful supportive husband.

I'm 7 1/2 weeks postop with Dr Munro and dietitian Megan, and have had a really good experience so far :-) I haven't yet found anything I can't eat a little of, I'm losing weight and have no reflux (didn't need any meds). I lost 14 kg preop on 38 days opti, and have lost 11 kg since op.

I had a very high BMI (64) as I'm short and wide, so did 5 1/2 weeks of opti with low carb veg and 90 grams of lean meat a day, and it did the job, my liver shrunk and I had no surgery complications. I found it easier to tell myself I was following a preop prep rather than a diet, because I can follow preop instructions to the letter, but have always failed with "diets". If you must have a blow-out,  have some lean meat (check with Megan) rather than carbs (that Vegemite toast is tempting!).

As others have said, this forum is a great resource. Welcome, and best of luck :-)
Back to top Go down
Fittru

Female
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptyFri 16 May 2014, 5:32 am

Hi there. I too am a coastie who was sleeved in Sep 12, so just over 1 1/2 yrs out now. I was done by Dr Munroe who is in the same rooms as Dr Wong. Super happy with him and really like the dietician there, Megan. She was a great encouragement for those difficult first few weeks.
Re opti. I only did 2 weeks and lost 7 kg but everyone seems robe different. 
Anyway, welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask anything. Someone here has always thought it,felt it or done it!!!
Back to top Go down
Glenice

Female
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2014-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptyFri 16 May 2014, 4:56 am

Hi Mel

Welcome to the forum. This is the place to be - I am 2 months post- sleeve and this is the place I learned the most about what was going to happen to me and all the befores and afters.  I live in Kiama with hubby and 2 cats, and recently 2 old dogs who have now sadly passed away.  I work at Wollongong Uni full time and took 4 weeks off for my surgery and recovery period.  When I got back to work I was well and had no fatigue or other issues.

Congrats on making the big decision to take this step - its a big decision (having major surgery alone - let alone that its about 80-90% of your stomach being removed) but the overwhelming majority of people have a smooth ride with few or no problems.  I had a dream run before and after and have not had one single problem with my surgery or complications.

If you have a question, chances are several of the same question have been asked before - so have a scroll through the various areas on this site and you will more than likely find the answer to your question and if not - ask it again, everyone is really helpful and willing to give you some insight.

All the best for 5 weeks on Opti - that will be tough - but worth it!!  I had heard of an incident where someone had not stuck well to the opti and when she got onto the table the surgeon wouldnt do the procedure as she had not lost enough fat from around the liver, it wasnt safe to proceed.  This scared the bejesus out of me and made it very easy for me to remain motivated to stick to the opti. So much so, the first words out of my mouth when I came to after anaesthetic was - has the procedure been done?  I was petrified...but all was good!!

All the best and come visit regularly -we'd love to hear from you.  Cheers Glenice
Back to top Go down
spazzi

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptyFri 16 May 2014, 4:16 am

I was born and raised on the Central Coast (Umina)! I now live in Melbourne :) 

At times 5 weeks is going to seem like a lifetime but you'll be able to get through it! I had 6 weeks, and it went pretty quickly. There were days where I wanted to cheat, and some days that I did cheat a little early on. I just kept thinking about my liver too. You want the surgery to be as safe as possible so it's worth the 5 weeks!

good luck xx
Back to top Go down
missmel
missmel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptyThu 15 May 2014, 11:11 pm

Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 618285  for the welcome Wenchie - finding the forum really helpful so far.
I have lived here for about 10 years, moved up here from Sydney.  It is a nice area although its getting very busy these days.

You are right, its all about the liver so we just have to suck it up lol.  The hardest part so far has been making my toddlers their brekky and lunch etc, all I want it a bite of their vegemite toast but I will stay strong....Day 3 today and then only 32 days to go bahahahaha
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptyThu 15 May 2014, 12:27 pm

Hi Mel, and welcome aboard!!

I love your part of the world, spent many of my young summers in Budgewoi/Toukley with my best friend and her family!

In regards to Opti, the loss is variable, some lose a crapload, others don't lose much at all. I lost 10 kg, but I think that is because my starting weight was way up there. Just keep it in the back of your mind if possible, that this part of it isn't about losing weight, it's about making sure your liver is healthy enough for the surgery. Any weight loss is a bonus!
Back to top Go down
missmel
missmel

Female

PostSubject: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 EmptyThu 15 May 2014, 10:49 am

Hi Everyone,

Im Mel and I just recently had my initial consult with Dr Wong.  My sleeve date is 19/6/14 and Im on Day 2 of my 5 week Opti pre op diet.  So far Im handling it ok but hey it's only day 2 lol.  Just wondering how much can I expect to lose on the opti phase? 

I live on the Central Coast of NSW with my hubby and 18 month old boy/girl twins

Really looking forward to getting to know some other sleevers for mutual ongoing support and encouragement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Coast   Newbie from Central Coast - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Central Coast
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2