AuthorMessage
Red5
Part of the furniture
Red5

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Nexium - When can I stop taking it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nexium - When can I stop taking it?   Nexium - When can I stop taking it? EmptyThu 09 Aug 2012, 7:41 am

I stopped taking mine for a little while but the reflux has come back although much more mild than pre sleeve. I did get a mild case of gastro a couple of weeks ago and queried with my surgeon if it was due to reflux. He said no but it can cause you to be more susceptible to things like gastro
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Nexium - When can I stop taking it?   Nexium - When can I stop taking it? EmptyThu 09 Aug 2012, 12:50 am

i think nexium etc interferes with calcium absorption so make sure you take a calcium supp if you are on it
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Nexium - When can I stop taking it?   Nexium - When can I stop taking it? EmptyWed 08 Aug 2012, 10:05 pm

My surgeon has his patients take anti reflux meds for 6 months post op.

I am nearly 3 years out and still take mine every morning, as without them I get reflux.

What Chaz has said I have also been told:

Apparently there is a small but real risk of oesophageal cancer if you have constant reflux.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Nexium - When can I stop taking it?   Nexium - When can I stop taking it? EmptyWed 08 Aug 2012, 1:35 am

I'm now (nearly) 12 months post op & still taking my reflux meds.

I was given pariet originally, have tried somac, currently on nexium but going back to pariet once this lot runs out.

I'd rather take that tiny pill each day than have reflux, even though it's only mild at times.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Nexium - When can I stop taking it?   Nexium - When can I stop taking it? EmptyWed 08 Aug 2012, 1:11 am

My doctor told me that it is better to take anti-reflux medication forever than to have reflux. I still take it (Somac). Apparently there is a small but real risk of oesophageal cancer if you have constant reflux.

I'd talk to your GP.
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2012-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Nexium - When can I stop taking it?   Nexium - When can I stop taking it? EmptyWed 08 Aug 2012, 12:50 am

*bump*

I was given a box of Nexium on discharge from hospital and when I saw my surgeon for review the other week, I questioned if I needed to continue on this (ie get another script) and he told me no.

I took my last tablet last Friday and sometimes I feel a bit refluxy, but nothing to be too concerned about.

I was thinking of asking my GP for a script.

Your thoughts? Continue or leave it be?
Back to top Go down
wombat
wombat

Female
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Nexium - When can I stop taking it?   Nexium - When can I stop taking it? EmptySat 02 May 2009, 3:43 pm

My surgeon said 4 months to keep acid production to a minimum to facilitate healing.
Back to top Go down
sophia
Part of the furniture
sophia

Female
Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Nexium - When can I stop taking it?   Nexium - When can I stop taking it? EmptySat 02 May 2009, 8:38 am

Hi there,
I was only on Nexium for a month post surgery, as a precaution only. But I never had any problems with reflux either.
Sophia
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nexium - When can I stop taking it?   Nexium - When can I stop taking it? EmptySat 02 May 2009, 4:53 am

the best thing would be to ring the docs secreatry and ask her to ask him. I'm still taking mine, I had my surgery in january and my scope in october and was taking it then and everything was okay. I have been on it for six years but started it cause I had gastric inflammation from a medication I was taking at the time. I was taking 40mg a day, I have cut it down to 20mg a day and when this box runs out, I am going to stop taking it and see how things g and will fill my script only if I start getting reflux again.

Oh, i forgot to say, I haven't told my doc yet, i'll mention it when I next visit but I am a bad patient so dont do as I do!!
Back to top Go down
MatildaPug

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Nexium - When can I stop taking it?   Nexium - When can I stop taking it? EmptySat 02 May 2009, 1:50 am

Hello to all,
Hope you are all feeling great. Was wondering if anyone knows if I could stop taking Nexium. I'm 9 1/2 weeks post op and my prescription has run out.
I haven't had any reflux probs before or after surgery but Dr P said it is to help with the stomach lining repair. I think he said I should take it for 3 months, does this sound right to anyone.
I'm feeling really good but am scared of any probs coming up if I don't keep taking it.
As usual I'm relying on the wisdom of you fabulous forum fanatics to point me in the right direction, I'll do whatever you say, I'm that hooked!

Thanks, take care

Matilda P

Start Weight: 131.8 (21/1/09)
Pre Op Weight: 125.5 (24/2/09)
Current Weight: 109.7 (2/05/09)
Height: 172cms
Goal Weight: 70kgs
Lost so far: 22.1kgs
Still to lose: 39.7kgs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nexium - When can I stop taking it?   Nexium - When can I stop taking it? Empty

Back to top Go down

Nexium - When can I stop taking it?
Page 1 of 1