nervousjulie
8 posters
AuthorMessage
nightowl

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-11-10

Introducing myself. Empty
PostSubject: arthritis 48yo   Introducing myself. EmptySun 19 Jan 2014, 12:45 pm

I'm also hoping for improvement in my knee and back pain when sleeved. I have had scoliosis and misaligned knees always, with added arthritis as I age, so I don't expect total resolution of pain....but better mobility with less drugs would be much appreciated! Good luck to all :-)
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself.   Introducing myself. EmptyTue 14 Jan 2014, 8:03 pm

Hi Julie

Congrats on your decision to be sleeved and improve your quality of life.
 Introducing myself. 446871  Introducing myself. 217555 
I am also 60, was sleeved 4 years ago.
I had medical problems and mobility issues.
My life has changed so much.

I had no issues with the Optifast diet.
I listened and took advice from others on here, so stayed away from the soups and desserts.
I just had Strawberry Optifast and Berry bars (keep these in the fridge, better eaten really cold)
I made a huge pot of vegie soup out of my vegie allowance or just made salads with no fat dressings.
Plus you need to drink heaps, think I was doing about 4 litres a day.

12 months seems along time to wait, but it will fly by.
Wishing you all the best.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself.   Introducing myself. EmptySat 11 Jan 2014, 11:08 pm

Hi Julie and welcome to the forum!

We have all been where you are now, the waiting game is very stressful and you keep second guessing yourself -am making the right decision??? You will definitely go through times when you think you are crazy and other times when you know this is the only real option. 

For me, this has been a wonderful journey. I am almost 6 months post sleeve and within a couple of kg of my goal weight. I feel years younger and my health has improved out of sight. I was at the point of giving up my job because it was getting too hard but now I no longer have any knee, hip or back pain. My Plantar faciitis in my feet has gone and I am off my blood pressure tablets.

I know it is hard to wait for so long but use your time wisely. Read everything you can - the good and the bad. The more you know about the operation and after care the less stressful the journey will be. It's good to know that a lot of the things you will experience are normal and will pass - like difficulty drinking plain water and the stalls.

If you are worried about the life style change begin to make tiny changes now so the shock is not too big. I started about 6 months before the op. Once a month I would introduce 1 change. For example I started by taking a daily vitamin, the next month I switched to de-caf coffee, then I stopped drinking diet Pepsi. Pick your own small things to change - don't waste the next year! By the time you get to the op you will be in a better place to follow your Dr. plan.

best wishes for your journey
Nini
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself.   Introducing myself. EmptySat 11 Jan 2014, 10:15 pm

Hi Julie and all I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet. It is amazing how good green vegies taste when you have been on opti a few days. I hated OF but after a few days and figuring the best way to mix it (lots of ice in the coffee one tastes like an iced coffee), it isn't too bad; you get used to it. The berry bars are a godsend when working or out and about. I was in my fifties when I had my GS (nearly three years ago, how time flies); within months of loosing weight all my health problems reversed, and most are non existant, including my back problems (as long as I do not lift heavy heavy items). Julie you should know as you the older you get how the time flies by faster. A year will pass so quickly, you will be on the other side before you know it. Happy travels on your journey. Take care.
Back to top Go down
shoeberry

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2013-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself.   Introducing myself. EmptySat 11 Jan 2014, 10:25 am

Hi Julie, 

Don't stress about the optifast until you try it. Yes, some people don't like it, but others do. Personally, I did not like some of the flavours, but quite enjoyed the strawberry shake and cappucino bars (and I hate coffee - go figure). 

And you can have 'approved' vegetables, which is basically not the starchy ones (ie no potato, pumpkin etc), but lots of others. I am not a huge veggie fan, but made a lovely soup from the allowed veggies. And you can have diet jelly, and a couple of other things. There are some sauces and essences you can add to your veggies or shakes to improve the taste. 

There are lots of ideas on here once you wander around a bit. 

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
Vikki28
Part of the furniture
Vikki28

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2013-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself.   Introducing myself. EmptySat 11 Jan 2014, 8:23 am

Hi Julie,

I am 52 and I have 2 slipped disks in my lower back so I can understand your situation. I have been sleeved and losing weight, I am also hoping that this will help with my back pain and mobility issues. Good luck to you and I'm so happy for you to have the opportunity to get better.
Back to top Go down
nervousjulie

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself.   Introducing myself. EmptySat 11 Jan 2014, 8:04 am

Thanks I would be very interested in how you go.  I know now that it is the right thing to do.  I wish I hadn't delayed it from August and realise that it is something I have to do as soon as I qualify or forget it.  I know that my sciatica which is coming from by back will make it harder for me to get around so weight loss has to happen.  It will give me a bit of extra time to get the money together around $5,000 as well as private health insurance.    But no public waiting lists for this.
My doctor has assured me that I am not too old.  I certainly hope not.  I am trying to keep healthy and walk but I am in pain is and it is getting more difficult.    There is so much to learn and I did not get a lot of help from my initial consultation with the surgeon but know a lot more now.  I had a friend who lost 35 kilo with lap band but this is not for me as I don't like the lap band concept.   I haven't had any dietician appointments as it is too early and I am hoping that maybe I can take something else instead of optifast for the pre operation stage.   I have lost a little bit of weight by watching what I am eating but nothing that will make any real difference. Introducing myself. 427584
Back to top Go down
muchlygirl
Part of the furniture
muchlygirl

Female
Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2014-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself.   Introducing myself. EmptySat 11 Jan 2014, 3:07 am

Hi Julie

I am 52 and in the same situation, mobility is becoming an issue. I have had to give up my Personal Training sessions due to dodgy knee and hip.

I love the way Dr's say "you just need to lose weight"!!!!
Do they think this has never occurred to us before. I sometimes feel like answering " OMG do you think so, I know I have a few extra pounds"
I mean at 162 kgs do they think I haven't noticed.

Anyway I am booked for my op in march so I will let you know how it goes.
I start my optifast on tuesday for 8 weeks - well I am doing Opti slim as I prefer the flavour to optifast and the dietitian gave me the ok to swap. She also gave me an alternative food diet, but I don't mind the shakes.

Good luck and stay strong.
Back to top Go down
nervousjulie

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-08-31

PostSubject: Introducing myself.   Introducing myself. EmptySat 11 Jan 2014, 1:59 am

Hi, I am an older person 60 years  who is hopefully going to have the sleeve operation.  Originally it was going to be August 1014 but now is going to be January 2015.  I had to put the operation off but am now back on track.  I have to qualify for health insurance by waiting 12 months.  It is a very big decision for me to have this operation but I know it if for the best as I am slowly losing my mobility and I don't want to end of on one of those scooters that I see heaps of big people on.  I have severe arthritis and my doctor has advised me that this is the only thing that will help. i.e. lose weight.  I cannot lose weight by normal methods.  The things that really worries me is the lifestyle change and having to go on Optifast.  I believe it is really awful and you cannot eat anything else pre the operation but hopefully will cope with this.
I  Alreaam looking forward to the operation now and I believe I will be ready but it is going to be a very long wait for me the next 12 months.  Hopefully I will learn a lot here and am looking forward to reading lots of posts.  I am not sure how to navigate this site yet or how to post a profile picture etc.  But it is early days. Introducing myself. 487524
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself.   Introducing myself. Empty

Back to top Go down

Introducing myself.
Page 1 of 1