Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations :)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations  :) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations :)   New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations  :) EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 11:56 am

It took 5 months from when I saw my GP for a referral to my operation but mine was a bit different because I had to fly from Tasmania for my appointments with the dietitian, psychologist etc so it took extra time to organize. Mr Michell didn't give me a date until he had all the reports from those appts especially the Respiratory Dr. It would be a lot quicker if your already in Melbourne.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
Brunie42
Part of the furniture
Brunie42

Female
Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations :)   New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations  :) EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 11:48 am

I had my first appointment with my surgeon on the 16th July and got my date then and then had a sleep apnea test on the 2nd August and a gastroscopy on the 9th August.

Last week received my last lot of appts before my operation...
Back to top Go down
Ilovespraytans

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-10-07

PostSubject: Re: New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations :)   New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations  :) EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 11:40 am

Thank you so much for your replies. It is a great start! I'm currently in essendon but happy to travel. Have either of you been waiting very long for your surgery? I guess also I would need to find a good GP for a referral? I'm super excited at the opportunity but also super nervous!
Back to top Go down
Brunie42
Part of the furniture
Brunie42

Female
Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations :)   New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations  :) EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 11:07 am

Hello and welcome...I am Bruna (Brunie42) and I am in Melbourne...I am in Cranbourne West....Where are you??

My surgeon is Mr Geoff Draper at Peninsula Private Hospital....heard great reports of him and he is everything I heard....my surgery is in 21 days.....

Good luck with your journey....there are lots more people in Melbourne in other suburbs too and different surgeons...
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations :)   New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations  :) EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 11:05 am

Hi Ilovespraytans,

Welcome to the site. I am 10 weeks out from being Sleeved by Mr. Ian Michell. I recommend him highly. He has a nice manner but more importantly he is an experienced but cautious surgeon. He does liver and kidney transplants as well. He told me in all the years he has been doing this surgery he has had one leak which was right in the beginning with an extremely morbidly obese patient.  He does use a NG tube and a drain to check for early leaks etc and also does a swallow test the day after. My lap sites are absolutely tiny and I had almost no bruising whatsoever. I did have shoulder tip pain from the drain but as soon as that came out I had absolutely no pain from my lap sites. I have had no complications or post op infection. He charges $4000 gap fee which includes his follow up appointments. He came an saw me everyday at about 8.30 am even on the weekend. 
I wasn't 100% happy with the Epworth Hospital, but I am a nurse as well so I notice the little things and didn't get a private room! Good luck with your search. If you click on the search button at the top of the page and type in Melbourne surgeons I am sure heaps will come up.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
Ilovespraytans

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-10-07

PostSubject: New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations :)   New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations  :) EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 10:40 am

Hi,
I have recently moved to Melbourne from far North Queensland. I work as a nurse in the operating theatre and often am involved in assisting with gastric sleeves. Now that I have moved I would really like to get a sleeve done, but have no idea of the surgeons here. If anyone has some suggestions of surgeons they would reccomend or have used I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks so much :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations :)   New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations  :) Empty

Back to top Go down

New to Melbourne, would love some help in recommendations :)
Page 1 of 1