Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dm1432

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-07-06

No Pre op optifast diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Pre op optifast diet    No Pre op optifast diet EmptyFri 04 Oct 2013, 5:53 am

Hi Bubbles,

Dr David Yong (through BMI) at Joondlup, he was straight to the point and is very easy to talk to as well!

regards
Back to top Go down
Bubbles1984
Part of the furniture
Bubbles1984

Female
Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2013-03-31

PostSubject: Re: No Pre op optifast diet    No Pre op optifast diet EmptyFri 04 Oct 2013, 5:47 am

Hey DM! Who was your surgeon?
Back to top Go down
dm1432

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: No Pre op optifast diet    No Pre op optifast diet EmptyFri 04 Oct 2013, 5:27 am

Hi,

My surgeon wasn't bothered, said give it a go for a week if you can't do it "no worries"!  His view was it wasn't at important like a lap band, he just moves the liver out the way for a sleeve !

Did it for 3 days before surgery and had no issues.
Back to top Go down
woodie1

Female
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: No Pre op optifast diet    No Pre op optifast diet EmptyFri 04 Oct 2013, 2:04 am

Hi Bubbles

My surgeon wanted me to lose 3kgs before the surgery with whatever method I chose (starting at 118kgs).  My sister had the same procedure so she put me onto the Opti but for me I was better off with food choices as the Opti made me feel very ill.  For some it works really well and it also prepares you for what comes after surgery with such limited food choices for many weeks.  The Opti is a good substitute when you can't get your head around the nutritional requirements for recovery and knowing what it is all about before that time would be a bonus as the recovery period (especially the first couple of weeks) can be an emotional and scary time.  Also as sassyjane says, the loss in fat around the liver helps the surgeon which is a big plus apparently.

I lost the 3kgs and my surgery went very well as has my recovery (nearly four months out).  

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Chongololo
Part of the furniture
Chongololo

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2013-01-10

PostSubject: Re: No Pre op optifast diet    No Pre op optifast diet EmptyThu 03 Oct 2013, 9:34 am

Hey there :)

My surgeon has a flat 'two weeks opti' rule for everyone. People with a lot to lose have been given 6 weeks or more, there is a surgeon here in Perth who doesn't think it helps, and his patients have to do a couple of days light eating/fluids the day before from memory.

no opti does seem to be more the exception than the rule.

cheers!
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

PostSubject: Re: No Pre op optifast diet    No Pre op optifast diet EmptyThu 03 Oct 2013, 9:31 am

hi bubbles, I did not have to do opti at all,i did it for three days prior to the surgery just for my own benefit and give the guts a bit of a clean out etc.The opti stage varies from each surgeon,some do some don't. If the surgeons thinks you may be a bit fatty in the liver you mostly will do opti,it is mainly to shrink down a fatty liver and also to give the surgeon more room to move and see whats going on.
Back to top Go down
Bubbles1984
Part of the furniture
Bubbles1984

Female
Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2013-03-31

PostSubject: No Pre op optifast diet    No Pre op optifast diet EmptyThu 03 Oct 2013, 4:00 am

Hi, Is there anyone out there who has been sleeved that didnt have to do the pre op optifast diet?  Im wondering how you went after the op with not doing the diet before hand?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Pre op optifast diet    No Pre op optifast diet Empty

Back to top Go down

No Pre op optifast diet
Page 1 of 1