Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!

Go down 
+8
Bailey1275
Blondie83
snickers1
btgirl
jaleci12
tumultuous-tara
Jarrah
swift788
12 posters
AuthorMessage
swift788
swift788

Female
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2013-04-14

Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptyFri 20 Sep 2013, 1:55 pm

hey Liz,

I am now on soft foods and feeling better! I was worried when I was on purée that I was able to eat quite a bit more than other people but now that I am on soft foods I have found my portions aren't as big so I am feeling better :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptyFri 20 Sep 2013, 1:45 am

Swift I was just like you. When on purees my tummy demanded more food, felt constantly hungry!!  I am on soft foods now and feeling much better. Still need to eat roughly 3 hourly but I don't have the horrible hunger pains that I was having before. 

Hope you are feeling better now :)
Back to top Go down
Jedda

Female
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptySun 15 Sep 2013, 10:40 am

It has been 5 months now since I was sleeved and I was the same at first, hungry all the time. I would go to bed feeling hungry and not be able to sleep or wake up all night long because I was so hungry. I don really know what I have done that is different but I don't have that problem anymore. I just think it is a matter of time, once everything settles, u know what u can and can't eat, u can actually eat a bit more, and I really think smaller meals/snacks throughout the day really help me, not just eatting 3 times per day. Smaller portions more times per day prevents u from getting hungry or eatting too much at one time causing discomfort and vomiting.
Back to top Go down
swift788
swift788

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013, 3:29 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone :)

I am still getting the hunger pains but I am trying to eat my food slower and I might invest in one of those timer apps to really slow myself down and trial it for the next week. 

I move onto soft foods on Monday. When I've been eating my puréed foods these last 2 weeks, I find I get full (on about 200ml of food) but then about an hour or so later I get these horrible pains which feel like I'm really hungry. I try to constantly sip water to try and keep these feelings at bay but I know it's still my body just changing.  I have my post op app with the dietician and my surgeon on the 10th October so will discuss it all with them then, but I appreciate everyone's replies, makes me stress less about it all :)
Back to top Go down
MandyShy

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptySat 07 Sep 2013, 10:44 pm

Hi by all. If you had a leak Hun you would know the pain would be excruciating. I found when at your stage if I took in more than half a cup of fluid I'd feel sore as it was too much. Just remember we have all had MAJOR surgery, hell we've lost 3/4 of an organ. So it takes time to adjust, remember its also swollen and will be for about 4 weeks. I'm 4 weeks post op and have gone and still going through the nausea stage. I suggest like others get that nexium and stay on it. I didn't and hence why nauseous. Like you I craved solid food but knew I couldn't so what I did is for example when my mate who stayed to help me cooked a meal I had one bite of the meat chewed it and spat it out. Lol it helped gave me the chew sensation with out hurting my tummy. Invest in a bullet blender some stores sell less expensive models. It's great for smoothies and purée stage. Keep a stash of water melon, watermelon is an alkaline producing food so it helps relieve integestion and keeps that yucky stomach acid at bay and its full of liquid as times it's difficult to drink plain water.
I'm now week 4 and last night I had some home done cous cous with pumpkin, it was soft and went down quite well and surprisingly didn't make me feel ill. I did have a touch too much so I felt off from being too full, my bad. I'm still limited to obviously intake that's thicker I only managed about 1/2-3/4 cup. I can't have much dairy as it makes me ill, so it's really basic stuff for me, hope that will improve once I'm healed fully. It's trial and error and we are all here to help each other :) good luck
Back to top Go down
Tones75

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptySat 07 Sep 2013, 8:36 am

Hi all done, I was sleeved on Monday.  I feel a lot better each day, but like you have been surprised that I have been able to drink 2/3 cup with little effort or restriction.  A few days ago my hubby cooked a roast chicken and I felt very hungry, from the smell and from then have been thinking about food more.  I guess resting watching all those ads for food on TV doesn't help either but I think I'm just head hungry.  I think it's fairly natural to think about food, given that I haven't eaten much for nearly three weeks, and I doubt very much that your leaking, I reckon you'd know pretty quickly if that was the case.  If you've left the hospital you can call them anytime and ask though if your concerned.  I called the hospital several times after being discharged (only stayed in for one night as I couldn't sleep in there) and they were terrific.  Good luck xx
Back to top Go down
all done

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptySat 07 Sep 2013, 6:38 am

Hi all... I had the sleeve 3 days ago.. Had the reflux ( frothy ) and a sore back from all the gases pumped into me for 2 days which is normal I suppose. Had to remember to take tiny little sips of water/ juice. I could hear it gurgle all the way down to my belly.. And then there would be this churning rumbling noise. Was wondering if I would have to live with an orchestra in my tummy everafter....Thankfully, it is dying a slow death..! Of course, I had nexium in my line and am taking parietal once at night time. Day 3.... I am feeling great..as in no pain ( never had pain in my tummy post op )...can walk around without any extra effort... Which surprises me so much. I am so grateful for that. I am still in hospital and will be for one more day and then I'll be going home ( regional ) to my hubby and bub. When I touch the dressings on my tummy, they are slightly tender, but no big deal.
Now... This morning, I had a mug full of Optifast in 20-30 min. It was tasty... (after 2 days of water/ black tea and coffee). I actually caught myself on my last sip and realised what I had done and was literally waiting for the pain to start. I did feel a fullness in my chest, so walked around and it settled! Again... Surprised.. But now after 3/4 th of a cup of pear juice, I am wondering if everything is alright...! I am also feeling a bit hungry and craving some Garlic Prawns!!!! What if everything is leaking from my stomach?????!!!!! I haven't passed stools since op day! Gee... Getting nervous. Any suggestions?? Will definitely check with doc. Also coughing since yesterday which is uncomfortable as I have to hold my tummy tight. I am using the ball thingie to exercise my lungs..oh.. Let me check. It's called the TriFlo11.
Back to top Go down
Bailey1275

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2013-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptyWed 28 Aug 2013, 6:03 am

Nexium is fantastic stuff - I was constantly vomitting and had so many problems with eating and drinking.

Initially I was taking Nexium 40mg three times a day and topping up with 3 or 4 Gaviscon Dual Action tablets in between each dose - now I have Nexium every two or three days and maybe 1 or 2 Gaviscon tablets in between.
Back to top Go down
Blondie83

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptyMon 26 Aug 2013, 12:40 pm

I was on Nexium post op also (week 6 p/o now for me) and I found within the first 2 weeks or so if I didn't take my Nexium i would have the worst all day and constant refluxy type pain/discomfort. I didn't catch on until I read on the forums somewhere that Nexium when taken first thing before eating etc actually inhibits the receptors in your body that create the acid/reflux. The minute I went back on it it was gone. Now I haven't taken it since half way through week 4 and I am doing fine.
Back to top Go down
http://slimmering.wordpress.com/
snickers1
snickers1

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptyMon 26 Aug 2013, 9:18 am

Jarrah wrote:
btgirl wrote:
Why is Nexium better than pariet?
Love Btgirl
I am wondering this, too. I am taking Nexium... just curious as to the difference between the two... :)
I'm 4 weeks post op and my surgeon has changed me from Pariet to nexium as I was getting break through reflux at night. He said the nexium gives longer coverage and is a bigger tablet. Since being on the nexium I feel less nauseated in the mornings and no night time reflux. Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Jarrah
Part of the furniture
Jarrah

Female
Number of posts : 911
Registration date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptyMon 26 Aug 2013, 6:59 am

btgirl wrote:
Love Btgirl
I am wondering this, too. I am taking Nexium... just curious as to the difference between the two... :)
Back to top Go down
swift788
swift788

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptyMon 26 Aug 2013, 5:01 am

Thanks for your replies ladies,I didn't see your post Tara until after I had sen the doctor but he prescribed me Nexium anyways, just took my first one. 

Thanks for the heads up jaleci, I will try and slow down my drinking more and see how that goes :)
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptyMon 26 Aug 2013, 3:49 am

Love Btgirl
Back to top Go down
jaleci12

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptyMon 26 Aug 2013, 3:13 am

I posted a couple of weeks ago re hunger pains after I had eaten and when I was full. I spoke to the nurse that suggested I had either eaten too fast or a spoon or two too much. I slowed down my intake and really listened to my full feeling and the feeling has gone now.
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptyMon 26 Aug 2013, 1:33 am

Ask for Nexium not Pariet.

Cheers
Tara
Back to top Go down
swift788
swift788

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptySun 25 Aug 2013, 12:46 pm

Thanks heaps for your reply Jarrah, has made me feel a bit better and thinking it most likely is just the reflux/heartburn. Will see the doctor about it tomorrow and see about getting some medicine.

Appreciate your reply :)
Back to top Go down
Jarrah
Part of the furniture
Jarrah

Female
Number of posts : 911
Registration date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptySun 25 Aug 2013, 12:24 pm

Hi swift788,
I certainly noticed a niggly kind of hungry feeling that turned out to be reflux/heartburn. I used an over the counter heartburn medicine first which confirmed it for me - but I did also clear it with my surgeon's office first and he told me what to get over the counter. Since then, he has put me on a daily medication. I notice that if I forget to take it, I really notice it by mid-afternoon.

I have read that it takes a couple of years for it to settle down... I have my fingers crossed that I can get over it a bit quicker. Still, if that's the worst thing I have to take - Ill have it!

Good luck getting to the bottom of it. It's a massive learning curve for us sleevers, eh?!
Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! 65317
Back to top Go down
swift788
swift788

Female

PostSubject: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! EmptySun 25 Aug 2013, 11:34 am

As of tomorrow, it has been a week since I had my sleeve done. All has been going well, but on late Thursday I noticed that I seemed to be a bit hungry. I have been following my dieticians plan of how much to drink and yet I still seemed to have this small nagging feeling of hunger.

Is it true hunger or could it be reflux? I did start to have a little bit of  reflux a few days ago and I'm unsure if it is real or not? 

If anyone can please help I would really appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!   Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please! Empty

Back to top Go down

Newly sleeved...unsure and need help please!
Page 1 of 1