Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?

Go down 
+12
lin1970
Suzy77
MAXI2mini
rhi82
Val 007
Barney Rubble
daniolga
Bec25
gruggy
Mumofone
veronica simcoe
Aerial
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Aerial
Aerial

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-03-13

Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? Empty
PostSubject: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptySun 07 Apr 2013, 3:57 am

Hi, Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me - waiting for their private health insurance to kick in so they are able to get gastric sleeving? I have an 11 month wait and it feels like I'm just stagnant!

Like most on here, I've tried most diets to date and other things, 12 week challenge at the gym, weight watchers, Jenny Craig, the one where they test your blood and tell you what foods you can eat (no surprises that no one should eat chocolate, pasta, bread, etc....not sure why I paid $300 for them to tell me to steer clear of carbs!), acupuncture, atkins diet, heart foundation diet, and so many others. Each time I lost weight then put it back on again. It's like I'm trying to fill a void - life is so boring and so very lonely.
Back to top Go down
veronica simcoe
Part of the furniture
veronica simcoe

Female
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Hi, im waiting too   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptySun 07 Apr 2013, 5:54 am

Hi Aerial

Im waiting as well, been waiting since end of August last year and will hopefully be getting my sleeve done in November when I get back from vacation. Ive also been on nearly all those weight loss programs and lost weight and then put it all back on again, hopefully this will work for me too. Im in Bunbury.

Veronica

Aerial wrote:
Hi, Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me - waiting for their private health insurance to kick in so they are able to get gastric sleeving? I have an 11 month wait and it feels like I'm just stagnant!

Like most on here, I've tried most diets to date and other things, 12 week challenge at the gym, weight watchers, Jenny Craig, the one where they test your blood and tell you what foods you can eat (no surprises that no one should eat chocolate, pasta, bread, etc....not sure why I paid $300 for them to tell me to steer clear of carbs!), acupuncture, atkins diet, heart foundation diet, and so many others. Each time I lost weight then put it back on again. It's like I'm trying to fill a void - life is so boring and so very lonely.
Back to top Go down
Mumofone
Mumofone

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyMon 08 Apr 2013, 12:48 pm

Same boat here! Had my 1st appointment & booked to see the surgeon Mr Michael France on the 20th of may. But my PHI want kick in till 14 feb 2014! Nice to feel like things are moving with appointments etc but still a long ie to wait!
Back to top Go down
gruggy
gruggy

Female
Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyMon 08 Apr 2013, 11:20 pm

Yep me too, my PHI kicks in Jan 2014 and I was having a real confusing time trying to figure out to deal with it [binging crazily, depression] but reading and making friends on here and seeing the psychologist that my surgeon gets his patients to see before he'll agree to surgery has helped so much.
I feel more settled down and have found some peace and even some positives in the waiting time.
I'm working on taking care of myself emotionally, enjoying my exercising
instead of thinking I have to work to the max or it's not worth it,
concentrating on eating some of my food slower and trying to cut down my
sugar binges.
All this without any pressure to have results, just
because I love and care about myself, knowing that the sleeve will work
on getting results.
It's not easy but we'll make it,this year will go past no matter what we do so better to try and feel good and prepared when the surgery comes than to have a wasted year of depression and binging. Maybe we can check in on each other and be some sort of support.
I will see my surgeon again in October to set a date.
2014 here we come :-)
Back to top Go down
Bec25

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyTue 09 Apr 2013, 3:49 am

Hi everyone. I am also new here been lurking for a while now. I have my referal to see Dr Alan Thomas here in Perth. I called today and they asked me to call them back approx 9 mths into my waiting time for my PHI.... I have spent all morning researching and getting quotes as I needed to up my PHI to cover everything but I am looking at around the $120 pm mark and that is a whole lotta dollars!!... I am just so confused right now...
Back to top Go down
daniolga

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-04-10

PostSubject: costs and PHI - public money should be spent on GS!   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyWed 10 Apr 2013, 7:01 am

i'm having my op in two weeks and i've been amazed how much it costs. i have good private health insurance but i'm still going to be over $5,000 out of pocket and that's not including lost income. i live in nsw, which doesn't offer bariatric surgery (except in trials) in public hospitals. it totally totally sucks!! i'm lucky i can scrape enough together (it's my whole savings) but there must be lots of people who could never afford it. so the system saves $5000 now - but then has to pay lots more later, when we develop diabetes, heart problems etc. ridiculous!
Back to top Go down
Barney Rubble

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyWed 10 Apr 2013, 9:00 am

Hi guys

me too, my PHI kicks in 1st august 2013 i have spent a year nearly thinking about having this life changing procedure. I have tried not to let it be the focus of my life as i knew the wait would do my head in. Cant believe how the time has crept up on me, auctually now ive gotta come up with the $$ from somewhere,,,,dunno how but im gonna make it happen. I rang to see the surgeon and was told wait till june or july otherwise he would want to see me again closer to the time of my PH cover kicking in.

arrrgggghh now i feel like i should be more organised.

Barney ;)
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture
Val 007

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptySat 13 Apr 2013, 1:52 am

Hi

I had to wait a whole year. Just keep reading this wonderful forum.

You will be inspired............................ Double check with your PHI that it does cover for the Sleeve, you can ring up any Bariatric Surgeon and get the item number........... then contact PHI for confirmation.

Val
Back to top Go down
Bec25

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptySat 13 Apr 2013, 2:49 am

After much delibation and investigation I went with HCF at $80 a mth. They have guaranteed me that it covers gastric sleeving and I now have to wait till the 9th April next year. Is anyone else with HCF???
Back to top Go down
rhi82
rhi82

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptySun 14 Apr 2013, 3:47 am

Hi guys,

I had to do the 12 month wait for my PHI to kick in as well, and just wanted to say that even though it seems like an age away that year goes so quickly! I remember starting my PHI and then sitting back and thinking 'ok, now only 11 months, 3 weeks and 5 days to go...' ;) Try not to dwell and become too obsessive about it, I kind of put it in the back of my mind as 'something happening next year' and it made the time go easier.

I have BUPA budget hospital cover with a $250 hospital excess, which costs me $38 per fortnight.

Back to top Go down
MAXI2mini
MAXI2mini

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptySun 16 Jun 2013, 2:04 am

Ahhh, so glad I found this topic. Now I don't feel so alone in my PHI "Wait"
I have around 11 months til PHI kicks in and it just feels like time is going sooooooooo slow.
This forum has become one of my fave places to visit, reading thru all the posts, diaries, etc..... and gathering as much information as possible
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptySun 16 Jun 2013, 3:59 am

Hi everyone, just want to wish those waiting lots of luck and say I think you are doing the right thing in waiting with PHI. It is so rare to get a complication but it does happen. I thank god for my PHI which is now well up and over the $100K mark since my original sleeve last October due to my ongoing issues. My private health took the pressure off and no waiting ever for treatment or further ops which makes it so much easier. If you can wait, the peace of mind is worth it I assure you.
All the best
Suzy xx
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptySun 16 Jun 2013, 8:24 am

Hi

I was in the same boat. Back in Oct/Nov 2010 I joined PHI. Then on the 13 June 2011 I rang to get details so I could have the sleeve in Oct/Nov that yr. I found out I could be a private patient in public hospital but the surgeons I was aware off only did it in private hospitals.

I upped the PHI cover and then waited until 29 June 2012 to get done. I had to do it during school hols. I had my first surgeon apt in March. So all up it was over 18mths. As frustrating as it was I don't regret the time waited. I also saw a psychologist and started exercising. I also brought small size plates/bowls to help portion control. It was very hard and I fell down but got back up.

I think if you can start looking at why you are overweight - emotional, physical, the way you were brought up, culture, etc. This will help get you in the right mind set. And you may find , like me, it is a journey that will  be helped by the sleeve in a physical sense but the emotional side needs a lot of work.

Also see if you can exercise. Even if it's hard, maybe start doing abit more walking. Slowly does it and don't beat yourself up if you feel like you stuffed up. There are a lot of tools like pedometers or apps on iphones that are free. I use the Striiv app on my iphone as it tells me how many steps I did. If you do 500 steps one day, maybe aim for 550 the next. The 'experts' say a good rate is getting to 10000 a day. It might sound a lot but you will be surprised.

Anyway, I hope that gives you some ideas. Also you can do it, you are not victims of circumstance. You are empowering yourself to live a healthy, active and fun life.

Big hugs
Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? 542174
Back to top Go down
Jasmellea

Female
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptySun 16 Jun 2013, 1:37 pm

I already had PHI and still had to wait over 6 months for an appointment. Its tomorrow.  Not sure how much longer after that I will have to wait for a surgery date but I expect it will be another few months.

12 Months will go fast for you.
Back to top Go down
Dejablu72
Dejablu72

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyThu 22 Aug 2013, 6:55 am

Hi All,

I am so glad I found this thread! 
I went to my GP and obtained a referral to a bariatric surgeon, got straight in for an appt with said surgeon two weeks ago....but still have to wait for my PHI to mature :(
I have tried to think positive about the waiting time as an opportunity to do some research and reflect upon my reasons for this surgery.
However, I am a woman that wants everything yesterday! 
I have joined HCF and been informed that my cover will include obesity surgery. Does anyone know if there is a difference between PHI covering a band or sleeve? I assumed that given both were classified as obesity surgery that they were covered....as long as your Insurer stipulates this. I am aware there is a difference in the out-of-pocket amount of sleeve vs band, and I also have to pay a $450 excess per year for hospital admissions.  

Cheers,

Deja
Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? 697586
Back to top Go down
~shelli~
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2013-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyThu 29 Aug 2013, 12:28 am

I've just upgraded our hospital cover and now have to sit back and wait.  I almost cried when he said our cover wasn't enough, it's obviously changed because I'm sure it used to be covered. Anyway, nothing I can do but wait. I'm not even going to bother to see the surgeon until early next year now, no point doing it this early out when I know I can't have the op until September 2014.

I'm going to take the time to attempt yoga and pilates and work out if I am in fact just addicted to food and eat too much or if there are other reasons why I overeat.

Good luck to everyone waiting!
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyThu 29 Aug 2013, 5:09 am

I ended up waiting about 18 or so months. I realised 6 odd months in I had the wrong cover so had to wait another 12mths after upgrading.

It is hard to wait that long but there are advantages as you can do lots of research, prepare the body and mind. Start to gradually get some exercise in and cut down on portions. I am not saying I lost heaps in that time but it helped me get some focus. I also saw a pysch and started working on the food thing.

14mths out and I don't mind that I had so long too wait. It still is hard work and I am still working on the head stuff.wow
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyWed 30 Oct 2013, 11:14 pm

Im two days in with PHI, so another 363 days to go lol

Im with HCF and they advised the doctor Ive chosen has a nogap arrangement with them and they cover all hospital costs. She also advised I ask my doctor if he could recommend a nogap anaesthetist as they often work together.

So now my question is, other than the surgeon consults which arent covered, what other expenses can I look at occurring?
Back to top Go down
~shelli~
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2013-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyThu 31 Oct 2013, 1:02 am

You are right Lin. I've come to see the wait as a really good thing as I can really get my mental mojo sorted out!  It will also give me time to save for the out of pocket expenses.

Bumbles - out of pocket expenses will obviously depend on your level of cover and your surgeon but some things that will not be covered (as I understand it) are:
- Assistant Surgeon at the hospital - we have to pay the hospital directly for this and I'm not sure if our PHI covers that cost or not, I haven't checked yet.
- Hospital excess.
- Any gap in surgeon and anesthetist fees - you might be lucky here and have no gap on either!
- Psychiatrist visit - some surgeons want you to attend and some people like to see one just to talk through what's going on and work through any issues.
- Dietician visits - pre and post op. I'm not sure of costs or how many visits are needed. I would imagine that each case is different.
- Opti-fast diet - pre-op for however long the surgeon/dietician advises and some use it post-op as well. I've had a bit of a look at prices and it will quickly add up when it's all you are eating/drinking.

That's all I can think of at the moment.  Welcome to the waiting club!
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyThu 31 Oct 2013, 2:57 am

Thanks Shelli!

I dont mind paying for a consultation here and there as needed, its the big unexpected $'000s bill after the surgery that PHI is renowned for that has me worried, hopefully its as HCF promised - will need to query regarding the assistant surgeon though.
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyFri 01 Nov 2013, 3:57 am

I've booked my first consultation with the surgeon, his receptionist advises its bulk billed? I hope thats true!
Back to top Go down
Bec25

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? EmptyFri 01 Nov 2013, 10:20 am

Hi everyone! I am still waiting for my PHI to kick in. I had to change PHI and I am also with HCF.. Mine kicks in on 9th April 2014. My surgeon has asked me to contact them when I have 3 mths to go before PHI kicks in to book my first appointment. 

I have been contacting my PHI every 2 mths to double check that I am covered! So far so good. I am paying $21 a week and can't believe  how fast the time has gone. Only 5 mths to go before I can have the op and I am chomping at the bit!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?   Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyway waiting for their PHI to kick in?
Page 1 of 1