Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??

Go down 
+11
jacquilove77
Kaili
Mareeki
Admin
ssteph2342
Liquefied_stars
chrisbychic
KahunaLou
Shanna
applesauce
kittycat
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyThu 25 Sep 2008, 1:29 am

alot of dr's and dieticians suggest scrambled eggs.....but alot of us have problems with it...i have been told it is because when you break the egg and cook it, it changes the way the protein is in it...not really sure what that means but maybe it explains something.
I found that poached eggs went day way easier than scrambled.
I also found when i went on to mushies at week 3 that Le rice(not sure if you have that over there, but it is just vanilla creamed rice, quite yummy) went down really well. when i got a bit further along, maybe week 4 or 5 i added some tinned peaches or apricots with it.
Another thing that i found great was porridge, just make sure it is well cooked and you add lots of milk.
I hope this helps

Nicole
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyWed 24 Sep 2008, 11:07 pm

Hi Shanna
The way I read your stage 2 and stage 3 is this:
In stage 2, the meat and eggs and fish and everything else is okay - if it's blenderized, with lots of gravy or sauce.
In stage 3, it's okay to start trying the same things without blending - but if you have any problems, you should go back a step for a while.
Yes, cottage cheese is mentioned in both, but that's probably just because they're trying to encourage you to try it pureed and then not pureed.
Don't forget you can add protein powder to your skim milk, which will help you out a lot. And I've given you other suggestions privately, but there's heaps of ideas in the post-op diet thread too.
Best of luck.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyWed 24 Sep 2008, 7:30 pm

Okay, now I am realize I was really confused. I read up on stage 1 and on stage 2 but I never looked in stage 3. And things that I was eating thinking they were included in stage 2 like mashed and pureed tuna fish is in stage 3 - see below and you will understand where I went wrong.

My doctor - Kini of Mount Sinai- gave me the following-

Stage 1 First two days after surgery- liquid diet - jello, water, tea, broth, Propel, Crystal Lite

Stage 2 First month after surgery - Bariatric pureed diet with soft solids
Applesauce, bananas, pureed peaches
Skim milk, low fat cottage cheese, yogurt, sugar free puddings
Chicken broth - no chunks or noodles
Blenderized pureed meat and poultry
Soft poached eggs- h doesn't mention scrambled which I eat really soft but I will pull it back out just in case.
Masked potatoes or soft vegetables
Popsicles
Fudgsicles

No creamy soups

Stage 3 After one month at least of stage 2
Lean ground meat or turkey (I think this means no bolognese sauce which I think you Aussies have tried)
Soft flaky fish, canned tuna, tofu, eggs (so much for tuna salad, egg salad, and salmon although why it is okay to eat blenderized meats but not a blenderized tuna, eggs, or salmon I can't for the life of me understand- it just makes absolutely no sense to me.
Cottage cheese, soft cheese, hard cheese - another confusion since cottage cheese iis also in stage 2
Soft pasta
Cooked or canned fruits
Crackers, cold cereal - so much for trying Cheerios made soggy. Oh well it tasted gross anyway.

Anyway to me the whole thing is counter intuitive and doesn't make much sense but I will go back to the drawing board. Somehow I think there is going to be a lot of mashed potatoes in the immediate future.... better go buy a few spuds since I can't eat broths - too salty, and the blenderized chicken salad didn't work - certainly I can't imagine trying beef. HMMMN it is a puzzlement.

Off the work - I'm late.... anyway get back to me on your lists. Suggestions welcome except no salt, no raw eggs, no spicey, no sugar, no tomatoey - too much reflux, no Slim Fast- too many calories for the amount of protein, and no more yogurt. I can't wait to see what you are all going to come up with.

So far I have a glass of skim milk for breakfast and another for afternoon snack. Mashed potatoe for lunch, maybe a poached egg for dinner. Remember I work at construction sites and have to climb ladders- light headedness not suggested.

Hugs to all- this should keep you all thinking,
Back to top Go down
Stacy

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyWed 24 Sep 2008, 4:35 pm

I have to agree with the rest.

I had surgery Sept. 11th and I am still on full liquids. I start soft mushy foods tomorrow for 2 weeks and then start introducing solids slowly.

There is so much healing going on right now that your tummy really can't handle solid foods. For the sweets...I take it your not getting the dumping syndrom? Now is the time to break the habit and stick to soft mushy foods if you are two weeks out for at least another two weeks and then start introducing solids.

Stacy

269 lbs/Sleeved Sept. 11th
242 lbs currently
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyTue 23 Sep 2008, 9:53 am

wow shanna.....mmmm....trying to think of something to say...

I agree totally with chris....way way to soon for all that stuff.......i dont want to preach to you...but please be careful and stick to your plan...if not your dr's what the girls have said on here might help you.
Im 12 weeks out and yes im having a few wrong things but for those first 6 weeks i really watched what i ate and followed the dieticians plan.
I hope you can try to do this...as it frightens me that you are trying that many things so soon.

Holly,
My dr and dieticain recommended....1 day on clear fluids, 2 weeks on full fluids and 4 weeks on mushies.

Nicole
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyTue 23 Sep 2008, 7:52 am

I agree with Holly, Shanna - it's way too early for fish for you. And I think you just found that out, didn't you? Not to worry - you live and learn.
Personally, I wouldn't be having some of the other stuff, either - you don't want to stretch that baby tummy before it has a chance to settle.
If you have to have sweets, that's okay - but do it with stuff that won't hurt your tum. Stick to diet jelly, egg custard, low-fat ice cream, low-fat mousse, etc - but stay away from the donuts, fudge bars, and brownies. You really do need to let your stomach heal before filling it up with solids.
Oh, and definitely stay away from the fish for some weeks yet - in fact, I'm eating fish myself right now, with sauce, and it's not sitting as well as I'd like either.
Oh, and If you felt you were 'entitled' to the brownie, then I'd say it was definitely head hunger, not stomach hunger. The sleeve won't help the head hunger - you have to battle on with that one, I'm afraid. Some people find it gets easier as they go along, but you need to start working on it now, so you don't undo all the benefits of the op.
Some other suggestions:
Try adding some protein powder to your skim milk - it should help you feel less hungry, and will up your protein levels
When you have head hunger, try a drink or a low-fat ice block or some diet jelly instead of food - it will increase your fluid intake and help you feel full. Don't worry if drinking never helped your hunger before the op - it will now, because it will fill your baby tummy up.
I hope this helps you out a little, and I wish you luck.
Chris
Back to top Go down
holly369
holly369

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Shanna, I'm confused.   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyTue 23 Sep 2008, 2:01 am

Shanna, I didn't think you were supposed to eat solids so soon. My doctor has me on liquids - 1st week, full liquids -2 and 3 weeks, mushies 4-6 weeks and then food!
Maybe some doctors are so strict. Let me know (and everyone else) what your doctors told you.
curious,
holly
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyTue 23 Sep 2008, 12:48 am

First off let me qualify this with - I am only 2 weeks out-

How funny life can be. Right now I am reading this and am simply desperate to throw up my dinner. I would give anything to be able to upchuck the tiny piece of poached salmon I ate. Still despite being violently nauseous I of course feel absolutely compelled to throw in my two cents. If you never hear from me again it is because I have brought up my dinner all over the keyboard.

What I decided I would do about sweets is eat them. Otherwise I will go nuts. So here has been my experience during the first two weeks.

I absolutely had to try a chocolate covered Hostess donut. One bite- tasted like wax- spit it out
An ice cream sandwich - ate just over half - yummy
One tablespoon of a homemade brownie with chocolate chips - mmhm mmhm good
Two bites of a glazed donut from Dunkin Donuts which I justified because I had an emergency on a job site and had to run out with out breakfast.
Weight Watcher fudge bar- 3/4 to 1 max per day- but now I am tired of them

So I don't feel deprived but more like the people I used to watch - who could eat one cookie and stop. Where will I be when I am as far out as Hayley. I just don't know.

As for hunger- that is more variable
Today breakfast was 8 ounces of skim milk, the one tablespoon of the brownie, I got the smallest size of mashed potatoes from Boston Market and ate that for snack, then lunch, then snack. Then dinner was that wretched small piece of salmon. Oh lord I want to vomit. Excuse me while I try again...

Anyway- other than squeezing in my applesauce/ crushed pill combination I am pretty sure I am done for the night.

My point is that I felt that I was entitled to try that brownie since I had only had the one glass of skim milk and it was 11:30. Was it head hunger, craving, real hunger, I am not sure. But I was glad I ate it and even though I thought about a second bite I was able to stop myself. And for every day that I have like that I will kiss the ground- which also may help me upchuck the damn fish.
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyMon 22 Sep 2008, 12:43 pm

now me saying i was hungry !!!! i was talking to apple yesterday and she said something that made me stop and think.....she asked someone if they felt hungry or empty.....a lightbulb moment went off for me....as i have said i feel hungry but a different kind of hungry from before. Now that hungry is empty...like i said before, its like i know that i have to eat something......so thanks apple for making me realise the difference.

Nicole
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptySat 20 Sep 2008, 11:49 am

yes i think id feel happy about the few "naughty" things i eat if i exercised more but i still feel really really tired, i just crash at night nowadays, hard to believe up until 6 weeks ago (pre-op) i had a sleeping disorder and couldnt get a goods nights sleep to save myself !
Catherine
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptySat 20 Sep 2008, 10:40 am

Hi all

I also dont suffer any hunger pains i eat cause i want something not wise most of the time or i get head hunger which i hate my boyfriend is always on my back about eating cause i forget alot of the time especially if we are out fishing or something he always brings something healthy for me how kind of him . But im naughty at times and have chocolate or icecream or something have to control that better im happy with my loss so far need to get into the exerciseing though

Cheers Sue
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptySat 20 Sep 2008, 8:44 am

He he I WANT STUFF !!!! What you described up til 8 months is exactly how I am feeling now so am happy to hear there is hope out there and I may not always feel this way...I just think about food nearly all the time...so pretty much like before the op. but I can only eat small amounts now...I am also having fantasies about guzzling down lots of fruit juice...cause I really miss it and crave it.
Catherine

]
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2008, 12:45 pm

but catherine are the cravings actual hunger or you wanting stuff ? that hunger hormone only controls physcial hunger. It will not control your head in any way shape or form. I went though a phase where all I thought about was food non stop, it drove me crazy because i could not physically fit in things I wanted and it was a matter of waiting until I could fit the next thing in. I honestly do not think I cam properly came to terms with it until our wedding anniversary last months when faced with a sea of food and it just did not bother me any more. That is like 8 months after surgry. So do give it time. I honestly eat because I want something or because it is time to eat never because I am hungry. It just seems so differnt from life before. The ONLY thing I do now is when I am in a binge mood of wanting junk is to fill myself up as that puts me off eating anything. so I keep diet yoghurt handy and down enough of that to make me very full and thus I lose all interest in any head hunger. Not sure how that works for others but even before surgery when stuffed to the gills full I have never had an interest in food.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2008, 10:50 am

This is very interesting because there definitley seem to be some of us who just don't feel hungry now and the rest of us...well we do.....I'd met a few sleevers before the op. who just forget to eat all day because they didnt feel hungry, thought that sounded great !! I'm not too bothered about whether I feel hungry or not because I am satisfied with a small amount which is fantastic however....I am bothered by strong cravings nearly every day and still feel like I am constantly thinking about food/surrounded by food everywhere I go/trying to avoid the fattening stuff etc...just like when I was dieting before, I think my expectations of how the grhelin hormone worked were wrong....POOS !!!!! Catherine
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2008, 8:37 am

Oh Hayley this was a BIG bit of pizza on a thick base. Close to a quarter of say a dominos pizza and it had heaps of toppings. I can eat heaps more of say a thin and crispy base pizza than that, more like what you said, so I should have said that about the pizza I had :) I like to talk in terms of thinks like frozen meals as they are always the same size and same consistancy so it is so easy to compaire, but it makes me feel like I say I am always eating them hehehehe
Dayle the other sleever that is a long way out can finish a 6 inch sub. I can finish a subway wrap if I leave out the lettuce but it is a tad to uncomfortable. but then I have not tried for a month now. I am not kean on their bread hence I like the wraps. now the small sumo sald rolls I love and eat all the time and their wraps I finish and they are quiet large, actually larger than subway so I might not strugle with a subway wrap now as I do not strugle with the sumo ones. I tend to have their chicken advocado and bacon wrap toasted at subway and mostely finish it each time.

what I MUST stay away from is chips as I can easily consume 200gram packet of them. i just made it a rule to only eat them with dip as that fills me up and i do not auto keep putting those suckers in my mouth. I am at a total stall weight wise at the moment, I knew it was coming, and have to find the motivation to do some serious exercise and cut some calories to lose that last 15kg OR do the optifast to move it. I think I will be lazy and wait until after the royal show tho.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2008, 8:15 am

applesauce wrote:
even finishing a slice of pizza is work close to a year out from surgery then trying to get down something as simple as a bit of yoghurt over 2 1/2 hours later can be close to impossible.

applesauce

See this is what worries me Apple, I hate to compare myself to others, but it worries me that I can eat two and a half peices of pizza. Yeah its good because I used to eat 5 to 7 peices.. but still.

I can also fit a 6'' sub from subway. full of meat and salad... Of course thats not at the same time as the pizza!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2008, 6:01 am

Honestly before surgery dizzy nausea to the point of wanting to vomit if I needed to eat some times hunger could drive me nuts. tho once I had eaten I tended to stay satisfied for ages in fact bloated for ages unlike most others who got hungry again very fast. the male of the species could eat again quiet soon tho. So no pattern there from before surgery to after. I also suffered shocking reflux before surgery and still can now if I am not careful. I had a sauasage at my sisters the other night with onions and that made me sit up later than normal hehehe I could just feel it there going if you lie down I am coming to get yah hehehe. The male of the species never had reflux before or after surgery. He did tho have his his first incidence in for ever of vomiiting that night as the streak was very tough, bbq at my sisters. So even this far out you can have a little reaction but as I said months since he has reacted to tough meat, and he hates the feeling and would just rather bring it back up.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2008, 5:17 am

I'm like you applesauce. I don't get hungry either. Just experience head hunger and smells still drive me insane.
I do have to force myself to eat and every meal is a struggle to work out what to have as I never feel like eating.

steph
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2008, 4:52 am

Nicole - makes perfect sense to me! I was the same, but then the last few days have been feeling quite hungry. I reckon that it will go again, though, as I've had it before and it's left me after a couple of days. I hope so, anyway! And yes, I think some people do get the wrong impression about the grehlin - no-one ever said the op would stop you being hungry forever, just that you would be less hungry with less of the hormone and a smaller tummy.
Applesauce - thanks for taking us through your day of food. It helps to know what others have, especially on what they consider a 'bad' day.
Hayley - no worries - I'll hover over the words next time to see if they change colour - just hadn't done it before! And I'd be feeling negative too, if I were you - experiencing extreme hunger due to all that acid, and now putting on weight as well. See how you go at your next weigh-in, and if you're still worried, get on the phone to your doc! Best of luck...
Chris
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2008, 2:22 am

hi apple,

Isnt it funny how we think that when we have a bad day that we have just eaten all day long, but in fact we really still havent eaten anywhere near what we would have eaten before.
I think your very lucky not to experience real hunger......but im the opposite to you at the moment that it....as i experience real hunger but not head hunger. I must admit though that the hunger i do get is not like the feeling i used to get before this surgery. I used to feel sick until i ate something before. But now its just a "i know i need to eat something" hunger. Does that make sense?

Nicole
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyThu 18 Sep 2008, 3:39 pm

I would hate to give a false impression of lack of real hunger, just neither the male of the species or I just do not experence it at all. Head hunger sure thing. Take today for example. I was off to the casino with my mum, so catching the bus. I get motion sick so knew I must eat when taking my meds to had one of thos mcains snap in half meals rather than just yoghurt for breakie. morning tea I had 2 fork fulls of strawberry shortcake just because it looked yum, and in fact was yum, along with a cup of tea. Again not hungry. Lunch was chinese but it really did not look interesting to me at all and I doubt i had 3 fork fulls of it and just pushed it around the plate and ate a little taste of chicken and drank most of a tetra pack of apple juice. Had some diet coke later in the afternoon, then 2 cups of tea and *cough* 3 shortbread cream biscuits, I know very very bad, blame my mum for having them in the house hehehe. Again only because they where there and it is years since I have had them. Got away late from there straight to late night shopping with the male of the species and daughte so it was not until after 8pm that we found dinner in a food court and I just grabed a slice of pizze, such a healthy diet today as you can see. By the time we got home it was late and I only just remembered my dinner meds which must be taken with food. It was a serious job trying to force in 100ml of yoghurt to take them with as I just can not face anything else to eat as I feel like I have done nothing but eat non stop all day today. which is pretty much true considering the amount of rubbish I have consumed.
I think I have typed all this to show that even when you fall so far off the wagon and do nothing but eat it is even very hard to do serious damage, even finishing a slice of pizza is work close to a year out from surgery then trying to get down something as simple as a bit of yoghurt over 2 1/2 hours later can be close to impossible.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyThu 18 Sep 2008, 2:41 pm

hi jacqui,

I totally agree with you.....i do get hungry....i think we all will.....how can you not. When your stomach is empty of course you going to feel hungry. Im really wondering about this gherlin thing...i think when people read about this it gives them a false sense of what this is all about....do you agree???
Like you i have i have 3 meals and maybe 1 or 2 snacks....but only a small amount. That is what helps us lose weight.....

Nicole
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyThu 18 Sep 2008, 10:57 am

jacquilove77 wrote:
i just don't want people to think you're never going to be hungry again - and indeed why would you want that in the first place?
You have a very very good point here! I had read about quite a few other sleever's saying they NEVER felt hungry anymore, and that was what I expected, so I do agree. I honestly dont really feel that much different than before surgery, healthier yes, smaller yes, but not much less hungry. I know this sounds quite bad, but I do think I kinda had my head in the clouds! Sorry everyone, I am feeling somewhat negative at the mo.

Hayley
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyThu 18 Sep 2008, 10:53 am

chrisbychic wrote:
Oh, Hayley, it tricked me because it wasn't a different colour or underlined or anything! Chris

Sowwy!! I will underline next time!
Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? 32773
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? EmptyThu 18 Sep 2008, 9:48 am

Oh right - in that case, I definitely agree with you. A healthy hunger and appetite and easily appeased is wonderful, isn't it?
Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: