Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??

Go down 
+11
jacquilove77
Kaili
Mareeki
Admin
ssteph2342
Liquefied_stars
chrisbychic
KahunaLou
Shanna
applesauce
kittycat
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
kittycat
kittycat

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? - Page 3 EmptyTue 02 Sep 2008, 11:21 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi I'm worried cause I'm over 3 weeks post-op and still want to eat just like before. Was wondering how long after the op. the appetite suppression kicked in ??
Thanks.
Catherine
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
KahunaLou

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? - Page 3 EmptyTue 02 Sep 2008, 2:27 pm

In my case, initially after post-op, I was definitely not hungry. Could be that since I was on liquids/mushies that it would be easy. Also, my guess is that I had it in my head for several months before that this would be a "rebirth" and that I would really try to get this right this time (Lord knows that I was somewhat successful in my previous attempts to lose weight, but I still always felt hungry and when I plateaued, lost the desire, then put it all back on, etc.), so I believe that while some of it is physical (the surgery and Ghrelin loss as part of the removal), a lot was in my head also. That said, now that I am 6 weeks post-op and am now back on solid food, I'm finding the transition a little more difficult that I've had for the first few weeks. I'm finding that I look at buffet or something on the menu that looks delicious, my head is thinking, "I really want that" and have ordered something I knew I wouldn't physically be able to eat. When the meal comes, I take two or three bites, then regret that I ordered it. I end up taking the left-overs home (in which many cases goes bad and ends up in the trash). I still need to get the "eyes are bigger than my stomach" (pun now definitely intended), and know that there is a new mindset that has to kick in.

Guess the desire will not truly go away unless we focus on the reason why we've had the procedure done.

I attended my first post-op support group meeting last Thursday and the topic was "Why Some People Don't Lose Long-Term Weight". The top-five reasons (in percectage order, though I cannot remember what the percentages were):
1. Person didn't follow the post-op plan. Ate too much and stretched the sleeve.
2. Person didn't follow the post-op plan. Ate the wrong things (not enough protein, too many carbs/fat).
3. Person didn't follow the post-op plan. Did not get enough exercise.
4. Adopted a different self-destructive activity (drinking, drugs, etc.)
5. Complications after surgery.

So, the "want to eat" doesn't go away easily. As was said, it's very likely that it's "head hunger" and not really physical hunger. I find that getting out and walking, or more recently a reacquired activity, bike riding, takes my mind off wanting to eat. When I'm in front of the TV or reading, I still want that finger food action, so I'm trying to be more physically active, instead.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? - Page 3 EmptyTue 02 Sep 2008, 1:49 pm

I have to add as well even if you wanted to eat as you did before, it would now be impossible. so I am a little confused about what is exaclty worring you ? Still feeling hunger ? Honestly it is like when you have a baby it takes over 6 weeks for those baby hormones to leave your body. It would take that long for the hunger hormone to flush out for most people. the general ikkkk after surgery I feel is more responsible for making your feel not hungry than anything in the first week or so.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? - Page 3 EmptyTue 02 Sep 2008, 12:54 pm

Hi Kitty Kat- I am still preop but I would have thought that appetite suppression would have begun by now. Are you eating less than you did before the operation? I have reread your posts and it sounds like you are having a really tough time with losing the ability to eat food. Is the appetite a head thing or a I am really, really starving thing?
Perhaps you need to call your doctor to ask him for advice, what size sleeve he used, etc. Exactly when was your operation - I couldn't find you on the calendar unless you are on under a different handle than Kitty Kat.

Keep us posted.

Also, you might want to talk to Hayley - she had a whole acid reflux thing that kept her from losing weight- she is on Nexium now but I don't know if the weight loss has resumed yet.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? - Page 3 EmptyTue 02 Sep 2008, 12:50 pm

kittycat it depends for some it is instant for others it takes time for the hunger hormone to leave the body. BUT you also must not confuse head hunger with real hunger. Most people never lose that .

applesauce
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? - Page 3 EmptyTue 02 Sep 2008, 11:21 am

Hi I'm worried cause I'm over 3 weeks post-op and still want to eat just like before. Was wondering how long after the op. the appetite suppression kicked in ??
Thanks.
Catherine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??   Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ?? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Appetite suppression - when did it kick in ??
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3