Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Grimelia
Grimelia

Female
Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-01-15

Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve?   Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve? EmptyWed 13 Feb 2013, 9:03 pm

Dietitian told me it could be and issue but we'd keep an eye on it. Doing activities like lifting weights (which I love) should help keep me in the clear.
Back to top Go down
Mona72
Part of the furniture
Mona72

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve?   Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve? EmptyWed 13 Feb 2013, 2:33 pm

I was told by the endocrinologist that recent studies have shown there's an increased risk of osteoporosis after having the sleeve & that I'd have to take Vit D for the rest of my life, starting with 2 tablets/day for few months then dropping back to one tablet everyday. Obviously monitoring Vit D levels would indicate whether that one VitD tab was enough, also there are many tablets that have VitD combined with calcium.
It's a concern of course and something to monitor, but for me personally I'm willing to take the risk by having the surgery and reducing the risk of so many other poor health conditions.
Back to top Go down
marescolt
Part of the furniture
marescolt

Female
Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve?   Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve? EmptyWed 13 Feb 2013, 12:20 pm

A friend who is a GP mentioned that she read a study that found there was an issue with the calcium& bone density & she told me to speak to my surgeon about it but I forgot. Would. E interested to see other responses.
Back to top Go down
elizbarron

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-10-17

PostSubject: Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve?   Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve? EmptyWed 13 Feb 2013, 10:30 am

I have been trying to decide between sleeve or bypass for a while now. I don't have good bone density for my age and am premenopausal. I had extremely low vit D levels, and since I found out, have been taking vit D and calcium every day and my bone density hasn't deterorated in the last 18 months. I was worried about malabsorption with the bypass, but have been doing research on the internet, and was surprised to read that bone density can be affected by having the sleeve as well, though not as easily as with bypass- and that's even with taking all the correct vitamins and supplements. Something to do with hormones being affected with the removal of a lot of your stomach. I couldn't see anything on this forum about it. Was wondering if this was a concern for anyone when going ahead with the sleeve?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve?   Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had problems with bone density after sleeve?
Page 1 of 1