~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve   Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve EmptyWed 20 Jun 2012, 8:36 am

yes it was a suppliment that I got from the chemist and you keep in the fridge. I doubled the dose and it took a week to kick in and start to reduce it. The chemist said it can take up to 6 weeks.

gaviscon ( the pink one) helped get me through till the probiotics helped... it puts a lining on the tummy and the eosophigus and helps with the burn. The chemist suggested taking nexium in the morning and somac and gaviscon at night and zantac during the day if I needed it till the reflux went away to stop irritation setting in which will make the reflux hard to get rid of.
Back to top Go down
MsM
MsM

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve   Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve EmptyWed 20 Jun 2012, 7:59 am

Chantilly wrote:
Thanks MsM - Good to know your story to balance out my decision. I really hope your reflux settles down for you and you become one of the lucky ones. :-)

Thanks Chantilly & all the best with your decision.

X
MsM
Back to top Go down
MsM
MsM

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve   Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve EmptyWed 20 Jun 2012, 7:57 am

trishah wrote:
MsM I have heard that it can settle after a while so I will keep my fingers crossed that it does this for you... have you tried a 6 week course of probiotics... I went on some antibiotics a few weeks ago and got reflux out of that and a course of probiotics fixed it up a treat.

Thanks very much Trishah,

I'm going to look into probiotics. Was it a supplement that you took, rather than yoghurt etc?

X
MsM
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve   Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve EmptyWed 20 Jun 2012, 5:35 am

MsM I have heard that it can settle after a while so I will keep my fingers crossed that it does this for you... have you tried a 6 week course of probiotics... I went on some antibiotics a few weeks ago and got reflux out of that and a course of probiotics fixed it up a treat.
Back to top Go down
Chantilly

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve   Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve EmptyTue 19 Jun 2012, 11:15 pm

Thanks MsM - Good to know your story to balance out my decision. I really hope your reflux settles down for you and you become one of the lucky ones. :-)
Back to top Go down
MsM
MsM

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve   Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve EmptyTue 19 Jun 2012, 2:48 pm

Hi Chantilly
Sorry you're having such trouble with your band. I do admire your perseverance in having a second band! I only had the one band & got severe reflux soon after it was put in (never suffered from it before). After the band was removed the reflux immediately resolved itself. Fast forward a couple of years to now & a month after being sleeved I have very bad reflux again. It's early days & hopefully it will resolve over time as others have found, but for now neither Pariet, Somac or Nexium are helping very much.

Sorry, I know that's not great news for you but it's best to know all the possibilities prior to making a decision. Some lucky people have no reflux issues with a sleeve, but so far I'm not one of them!

All the best

M
Back to top Go down
Chantilly

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve   Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve EmptyTue 19 Jun 2012, 6:27 am

Thanks Trishah - This is great news, I'm glad the sleeve has resolved this for you. When I had my band released (unfilled) earlier this year and prior to my surgery I had no reflux, just a little bit of heartburn every now and then which is much easier to deal with. I had my last fill 2 weeks ago and the reflux started again - currently @ 9ml and only just getting restriction. It's a shame. I have an appt with my surgeon next Tuesday, it might be the time to wave the white flag and discuss the sleeve. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve   Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve EmptyTue 19 Jun 2012, 6:10 am

yes I had chronic reflux with the band for 2 years. I had my band out in November which stopped the reflux. I was sleeved in March and have no reflux. My doc said the reflux will usually only be a problem after sleeving if you suffered reflux with out a band.

Reflux with a band is a mechanical response to the pressure of the band or stretching of the pouch or eosophigus. I have no such issues with the sleeve.

I am on nexium as is anyone who is early post sleeve and will be taken off them in a few months to see if its all clear. If not I will go back on them. When I had my band no anti reflux medications would stop the reflux at all and removal was the only cure.
Back to top Go down
Chantilly

Female

PostSubject: Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve   Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve EmptyTue 19 Jun 2012, 4:43 am

Hi All - this is my first post on this forum. :-)

I have had a band for 9 years and lost 60kgs - I had a 7ml band up until March this year when it was replaced with a 14ml band and I a small hiatul hernia repair. The 7ml band was slipping constantly and I had severe reflux at night which cause me to endless sleepless nights. I didn't have any reflux for about 6 years with the band and it gradually got worse over time. I was hoping that the new band and hernia repair would solve all my problems but as I get more restriction it is becoming evident that this isn't the case. I am starting to wake up with a sore throat from acid (not snoring) and have woken up a couple of times with the gush of acid in my mouth (sorry about the graphics). So as to avoid this from happening I continue to have to avoid certain foods at night, can't have a wine with my partner after work and have to wait at least 2-3 hours before going to bed after dinner. I have reflux meds at night so it's doing it's job when I need it most and have to prop my head up with 3 pillows when I do go to bed. I'm tired of being tired from lack of sleep and worry that my lungs and esophagus are being damaged as a result. I am wondering if I should have had the band out and gone down the road of sleeving. I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience with the band and if the sleeve gave them any relief. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve   Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

Reflux with Band Considering Sleeve
Page 1 of 1