AuthorMessage
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-08-02

Reflux with the sleeve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyMon 11 Oct 2010, 9:53 am

Go and visit your surgeon again Wendy - see if he can do some tests (like those mentioned on this thread).

Have you tried eating a piece of cheese, yoghurt or some milk before bed? Dairy is always soothing on the stomach.

From the info I've gathered, I think it's up to the doctor's expertise in performing the operation which prevents or causes the reflux issue in sleeve patients. It's got something to do with the curve from the oesophagus into the soft wall of the stomach. If not enough 'curve' is left, the more likely reflux will result. I was reading a US sleeving website written by doctors, and this seemed to be the problem. I'm gonna give my surgeon instructions before going under! Ha!

All the best Wendy, I hope your reflux gets better for you soon,

Hugs,

Kris.
Back to top Go down
wendy.stewart54

Female
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptySun 10 Oct 2010, 10:07 pm

Hi all,
I am now 4plus months out, and have had mild reflux since then, on losec. On the morning of the 9th I woke up with worse reflux, and now it won't go away. I am wondering the cause. Could it be that for part of the night before I slept on only one pillow, where normally I use two? Or is it the spicy dahl I ate, and have had again a few days? I feel nauseous, can't drink so much, and am getting a burning stomach pain, almost like before the sleeve which used to make be be hungry and eat. Any advice greatly received.
Thanks,
Wendy
Back to top Go down
~*camelia*~

Female
Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptySat 09 Oct 2010, 3:17 am

I have had really bad reflux since having the sleeve, but then I got it really badly when I was pregnant too.

I have found that certain foods set me off, and also eating late at night too.
My worst offenders are: chocolate, spicy foods, greasy foods, and acidic fruits and fruit juices...oh and alcohol too!!
Now that I am avoiding these as much as possible I have been able to drop my nexium down to only when I need it (which tends to be weekends)

My surgeon told me that my reflux has nothing to do with either the sleeve or the gall bladder removal I had...so for me it is just one of those annoying things!
Back to top Go down
BrendaBee
BrendaBee

Female
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptySat 09 Oct 2010, 12:41 am

I suffered from reflux before and was taking pariet which ive continued taking and it all feels good with it but i do find that if i eat before bed i get that reflux where when you lie down it all comes up - its really terrible. The last time i had this was when I was pregnant
Back to top Go down
Bela
Bela

Female
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2010-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 6:08 am

I must be a lucky one. I haven't suffered from reflux at all.

I used to have it with the band, but mostly that was just regurgitating food from over eating.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 6:00 am

I never ever had reflux pre op, 17months out nearly 18 I still get it.
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 5:52 am

I had reflux before the sleeve and was on nexium nearly every day.
Post sleeve my doctor puts everyone on strong anti reflux drugs, ranitidine (zantac) x 1 and esomeprazole (nexium) 40mgs daily also, one is taken in the morning and one at night.
I am 13 months out and have tried since about 6 months to get off and have stopped the zantac but still have to take the nexium but at only 20mgs and i take it in the morning.
If I take only the zantac I still get reflux , so really it is a matter of seeing what works for you. I still try every now and then to see if I can survive without but so far have been unable.
I too will get symptoms like regurgitation if I eat something not long before bedtime.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do people and know that we are all here to help if able :)
Linda
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 4:14 am

I am yet to see a single person in thousands who have a sleeve where on the rare occasion reflux lasts more than a few months that a simple tablet doesnt control it 100%. Now look at the band and no amount of meds ever work in the end it just gets worse and worse.

I am one of those that had severe reflux before my sleeve and and now take somac and the only time I have ever had to chew a quick ease is if I have had a sausage after 9pm. I certainly dont call that debilitating.

I think I am very positive about the sleeve because long term there just is no problems with it. A few people do experence difficulties with certain foods and yes reflux during the healing period. I am yet to see a anybody beyond one person unable to eat fresh white bread left long term with an inability to eat anything and yet to see anybody long term with reflux issues that are not 100% controled with a simple tablet. You will see people during the healing phase on a forum such as this and will see the issues with some foods and reflux, but it is important to let people know this is short term.

But the reality is I think the count for long term reflux needing meds on a forum of over 3000 is less than 5, might be a few more now I have not done a count lately. that sort of sums up the reflux issues.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 3:58 am

Not debilitating - not at all. Just take your meds, and it will be ok!
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 3:48 am

Is reflux very debilitating? For those who have it permanently - what do you have to avoid doing or eating? I hear that some foods make reflux worse and some exercises too.

I'm worried that this will be another new problem to cope with in addition to all my other issues.

Applesauce is always very positive about the sleeve - how do you cope with reflux?

Thanks for your input!

Hugs,

Kris.
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 3:46 am

Wow, Jen-e has given me hope that my reflux issue might be relieved with a sleeve. The band certainly aggravated it, and I actually didn't know I suffered it until a few years after having the band - doctor didn't mention it. The constant coughing was what triggered investigations which, once diagnosed, was relieved with medication. I am on pariet and have been told I will probably be on it for life. That was when I had a band, which is now gone - the reflux hasn't though. So, not expecting a miraculous recovery initially after the sleeve, but am prepared for maybe a slight aggravation post-op.
Best wishes
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
mcduff
mcduff

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 1:30 pm

Hi

yes i have found this very interesting as i suffer from reflux and am having a small hernia repaired at the top of the stomach when i have my surgery tommorow.
Even though i have talked to my surgeon about this issue he never mentioned that i would have to take any medication for it.
Makes you wonder doesnt it why there are variaitions.
thank god for this site so at the very least we can be prepared for what might be to come.
thanks
Lynne
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyMon 04 Oct 2010, 2:13 am

Thanks everyone for your responses.

It sounds like reflux is something I might get but only temporarily which is good to know. My doctor never told me about this at my initial consultation so I'm very grateful to you guys for your info, thanks again.

Kris
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyMon 04 Oct 2010, 1:35 am

My surgeon told me I'd probably have reflux until 3-6 months postop. The way he explained it, the scarline along your stomach is rigid, which leads to the acid refluxing back up. Over time as the scar heals and softens, you get less chance of reflux. I have dropped from somac twice a day to once a day, but I do still need that once a day.
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyMon 04 Oct 2010, 12:47 am

Hi Kris....

I never had reflux pre sleeve but definitely had it post surgery for about three months...And my surgeon automatically puts everyone on reflux meds for at least the first month.

I waas on somac...one a day sorted out the the problem...

Haven't needed them since except for a couple of days last week where I was lying down after surgery....

good luck

s
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyMon 04 Oct 2010, 12:41 am

I had terrible reflux with the band even after having my hiatus hernia repaired when the band was done.The tighter the band was the worse the reflux was...Have had none at all since having the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyMon 04 Oct 2010, 12:33 am

A lot of people are on anti reflux meds for a few months post op. Most for only 6 months or so, but some are on them for much longer.

I did have reflux pre-op due to a hiatus hernia which was repaired when My sleeve was done.
I still take 1 Pariet per day at the moment. It's such a small price to pay for all the benefits and really is no problem for me at all.

Here's a link to some threads on reflux: Reflux link

-Carrie :-)

Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female

PostSubject: Heart burn after sleeve   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptySun 03 Oct 2010, 11:40 pm

I'm having my op in January and am concerned about hearing stories re heart burn after having the sleeve.

Is this a common problem with sleevers? One good thing about having the band (which I have at the moment) is that it reduces acid reflux up into the oesophagus.

Has anyone's doctors discussed this issue with them that they can share please?

Thanks to all,

Kris.
Back to top Go down
LeeLee12
LeeLee12

Female
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 12:25 pm

Just to add my two cents worth. I suffered from a little reflux after surgery. Fine if I took my somac. 10 weeks ago reflux hit me big time. No matter what I did it would not go away. Had to sleep sitting up, drank gaviscon by the bottle. Had numerous visits with my surgeon. Ended up having 2 barium swallows and a gastroscopy. Still no reasons found. HOWEVER a biopsy was taken during my gastro and a few days later I recieved a call from my surgeon. CELIACS - Severe atrophy of my small intestine. Had it all my life but my body had had enough. Apparently it can show itself after surgery. Anyhow no more Gluten for me. After 2 days reflux subsided. Now 2 weeks gluten free and no reflux, no gaviscon and sleeping like a baby.
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 9:48 am

Yep goodluck, SlimJim, I hope the band works beautifully for you. I'd go lapband before sleeve too. To be honest, even though my first didn't work, if I had a surgeon I trusted where I live (only one surgeon does bands and I don't think he's of a good standard) I'd go back for a second (I have a large hernia which apparently should have been picked up a loooong time ago, hence why my band wasn't a success).

People's decisions should be supported and respected. God knows, we ALL know what it's like to be obese and we should be supporting each other to lose our weight no matter what method we choose.
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 9:31 am

SlimJim i'd just like to say that this is your decision. You are obviously researching all your options which is great. I had the band and can honestly say I only got reflux when I ate too late at night and then went to bed with a full pouch. I never suffered from it previously but since having the sleeve I get reflux everyday. I hate taking tablets so don't take the Somac that is prescribed to me.

I still don't know if I had had the option of a band or a sleeve originally that I would have chosen the sleeve first so I understand your aprehension in which surgery to go with. I had no medical issues with my band but just worked out how to cheat it very early on. I know of a few banded people that have lost all their weight and have kept it off so it's not like it's not a do-able thing.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, some are more outspoken than others Reflux with the sleeve? 697586

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Reflux with the sleeve? 217555
Back to top Go down
mini_me_tobe

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 8:33 am

because i had gerd before surgery my surgeon suggested rny that is supposed to be the best surgey for acid reflux she told me with the sleeve it could get worse.. I told her that i really did not want a rny and would take my chances with the sleeve...
She already knew i had a hital hernia it showed up on the upper gi.
After surgey she was right it did get worse, she did not fix the hernia she said it was to small to bother with a couple days later i woke up choking with acid burning in my throat.. they increased my nexium from 40 mg once a day to 40mg twice a day that was the end of the choking acid... then by 6 weeks i had noticed i was getting hungry after 15-20 mins after eating til i was full.. so i bought it up to the surgeon as i had heard acid mimics hunger .. she said i did warn you it could get worse... she added a zantac to be taken at night... no more acid problems.
5 months after surgery i was off all meds for acid... and have since had acid twice which is in the normal range lol.

... if you go to the realise band makers web site the side affect for band listed is gerd

Risks associated with gastric banding8

* Migration of implant (band erosion, band slippage, port displacement)
* Tubing-related complications (port disconnection, tubing)
* Band leak
* Esophageal spasm
* Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
* Inflammation of the esophagus or stomach
* Port-site infection

I guess it comes down to you needing to decide what surgery would suit YOU best, for me i liked the fact that with the sleeve most complications show up early, so are able to be sorted out often when still in hospital, also what i like is, it is set it and forget it.. the band is constant maintenence, with the possibility of complications the life of the band.

so good luck in making your decision
Back to top Go down
janelou29
Part of the furniture
janelou29

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 6:39 am

Hey Slimjim,

I too had refulx, was on a Zantac once a day, and was looking at the band. I got scared because so many people seem to have issues with it, and yet very few people have issues with the sleeve. I too was scared and it took a cancelled appointment and 18 months later the courage to actually go and see the Dr about the lapband or sleeve.

There is a good book I read about the lapband called:

Fat Chance, My big Fat gastric band adventure'

by Melanie Tait

Link: http://melanietaitfatchance.blogspot.com/

This is really good, she has had not to bad experience with it all, but the vomiting and things getting stuck put me off!

I think most of us 'overweight people - BMI > 32" will have hitus hernias which contribute to relux.

I am a big sleeve fan, only 3 weeks out, however it each person has the right to choose and there are still a lot of bands being done, so there is somthing to say for that!!

Good luck, would love to see how you go.

"it's your body..........'

Janelou x
Back to top Go down
slimmer

Female
Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 5:58 am

Applesauce, you make me sorry I asked in the first place. Of course I have researched, your not the only one that can hit google. Thanks everyone for your comments and experiences, I will now crawl back into my uninformed, evil lapband hole.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reflux with the sleeve?   Reflux with the sleeve? Empty

Back to top Go down

Reflux with the sleeve?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next