32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lissa75

Female
Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2012-03-03

sleeve rejected  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2012, 11:24 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi.

just wondering if anyone out there has had their surgery delayed, stopped, opened up and closed up for liver being too big.. ??

This is my biggest fear...

LIssa
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
SHARI.1

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Hi Lisa stick to the Opti the reason for them to stop the surgery if liver is to swollen is also that it becomes to slimmy and for them the Dr to have to keep the liver out of the way for the surgery is to hard when it is to slippery. So the diet helps   sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 12:50 pm

lissa75 wrote:
Hi.

just wondering if anyone out there has had their surgery delayed, stopped, opened up and closed up for liver being too big.. ??

This is my biggest fear...

LIssa
Back to top Go down
hazelbaby
Part of the furniture
hazelbaby

Female
Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2011-08-20

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 12:12 pm

Hi,
I had heard stories about my doctor finding food in the tummies of patients who had a big last supper and closing them up until it had been digested. Gross!

I was only on opti for 4 days as I got a much earlier surgery date than expected. Though I did my best in that short time and still managed to lose 6 kgs. The image of a fatty liver slipping around as the surgeon tried to handle it during surgery was enough to motivate me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
angelpenny
angelpenny

Female
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 11:02 am

Fantastic work Lissa. Banana wasn't available when I did opti but then I tended to stick with the bars. The cappuccino one was my favorite.
Back to top Go down
**Hollie11**
**Hollie11**

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2012-05-12

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 10:42 am

7 kgs in 7 days - awesome loss Lisa and what a great motivator..
Back to top Go down
lissa75

Female
Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: my challenge   sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 10:30 am

my greatest challenge occurs about 3 days of opti i get really really hungry.

Last week I lost 7 kgs in 7 days. I'm giving it my best shot..

I have been toying with the idea of WLS for about 3 years and I'm determined to get it done.

I originally started the post to give me a kick up the butt and stop me having food on day 3 for fear of being opened up and closed up.

Yes there is come great advice on here.

I struggled with opti for first 4 days but now i'am all good with it. But I don't like banana shakes..

I only have 6 more shifts at work before i go on leave.. sounds better than 12 sleeps..

Thanks for all the support and advice.

lissa
Back to top Go down
angelpenny
angelpenny

Female

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 8:06 am

JPC
sleeve rejected  - Page 2 446871
Back to top Go down
JPC
Part of the furniture
JPC

Female
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 7:36 am

I just had an Opti experience that convinced me I have made a head shift and I feel so damn good I just have to share it. I have a stash of Opti flavours in my desk drawer but got called from my office before lunch. Prior to commencing on Opti I would have stopped at KFC or Macca's etc but today I stopped at a chemist!!!!!

I think I'm definately on the right track sleeve rejected  - Page 2 487524
Back to top Go down
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female
Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 4:25 am

Great point R_R.

I considered the Opti phase as a right of passage, a line drawn in the sand to say that all this bad eating must stop for good. I was really strict and found it very hard, but found it an excellent start to what is a drastic change in lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
angelpenny
angelpenny

Female

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 3:57 am

Robbie, those things would have been hard to deal with in the first ouple of weeks. I'd never really thought of the pre op diet in terms of a headstart, but I think that's true - even after the surgery I haven't lost weight as fast as I did on the opti.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 11:17 pm

good to hear a great positive Robbie, although it didn't help you in your recovery cheers
Back to top Go down
uncleluck
Part of the furniture
uncleluck

Male
Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2010-04-17

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 1:49 pm

Well said lin1970 I agree
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

I never cheated on opti,i think the bars and allowed vege soup got me through,i wanted sleeved so bad,i was to scared to cheat.
Back to top Go down
JPC
Part of the furniture
JPC

Female
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 11:02 am

100%er,

Can you please explain exactly what you mean about the ketosis and the levels? That is outside of my knowledge bank.

Cheers,

Janet
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 10:21 am

From reading all the comments I am finding that for some it is more difficult then others. Some found/find it easy. Just goes to show that we are all different and no-one is right or wrong. We just are. Do your best, like J and others have said remember the why. I am struggling with lots of things and it isn't necessary food related. This is life...
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 10:15 am

Hi

There's lots of good advice in these responses. The important thing to remember is what daydreamer said...follow your surgeon's orders. not everyone has to do opti and not everyone has to do the same level of opti. I hated the taste...became a three-bar a day girl but like janette said I was so desperate for the surgery that I didn't find it too difficult in the end. Every opti meal was one step closer to the surgery. And even the liquid stage post-op is a great improvement. Of course I whinged a lot about the opti phase...that's one of the benefits of the forum. I also got a great headstart on my weight loss, losing 7kg in the 2week opti period.

Good luck in preparing for the surgery...the short-term pain of opti is absolutely worth the long-term gain.

S

Ps...you won't believe it. I have voluntarily returned to opti diet recently to prepare for tummy tuck!
Back to top Go down
Daydreamer
Daydreamer

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 8:55 am

Well here is my take on it....I hated OPTi and I cheated.
I wanted the Sleeve desperately, however I simply could not stick to the OPTI diet to the letter. Each day I kept trying, sometimes I would get through the day sometimes I would not.
All I can say is I told my dietician and my surgeon that I cheated and I was still trying hard not to. The last 3 days prior to surgery was my best effort.
I did know from the bloods I had done previous to surgery that the liver appeared in good condition. I am not sure whether my surgeon was not worried because my starting weight was 93kg and the bloods were good or whether he was sick to death of NAGGING patients like me to follow the OPTI.

Anyway had the surgery, all was good, and he commented that my liver was in perfect order.

I do not condone not following the Surgeons orders-this is just my story truth and all.
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture
amanda O'D

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 8:10 am

Have to say I too agree with J.

I survived 7 weeks of Opti without cheating, (we should really get Tshirts made saying we lived on Optifast and survived)

Seriously though i was paranoid that if i broke the diet in anyway my liver would be too fat and i would be done back up, i was so bad that when i was waking up i was trying to feel and count the number of cuts on my tummy, as i figured if i had 5 i had been done.

Some people do cheat on Opti and get away with it, others dont, I will always remember my Surgeon saying to me one cheat meal on Opti will cancel out an entire week of being good, and honesty it is not worth the risk.

Use the foods you are allowed to their best, learn that cups of home made veggie soup (cauliflower and leek is yum) for morning and afternoon tea work great, diet jellies for suppers take care of sweet cravings.

It is just for a short period within your life and in a few weeks you will wonder what was so hard about it, as you see the kilos dropping off you.

Good luck with it, but believe me you can do this.

smiles
Mandy
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 7:43 am

I never had any trouble with the opti diet, only had a bit of a headache for a day. Wasn't hungry, but I certainly made use of everything I was allowed to eat LOL!! And I am sure I was drinking 4-5 litres of fluids per day.

Its all now a distance memory, and is over quickly.

Hang in there........ sleeve rejected  - Page 2 217555
Back to top Go down
butterflyfallen
butterflyfallen

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2011-04-22

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 7:39 am

i found it difficult, id be surprised to come across anyone who didnt struggle with it. I cheated. But for the most stuck to it as i kept reminding myself why i was doing it. But of course its difficult. You go right from eating everything and anything you want, to foul tasting liquids and salad. Salad is fine, but i mean - you sure get over the same thing pretty darn fast. So, for anyone to say "whats so difficult about it?" Well, lots. For most people. The decision to try and focus on why you're doing it though is the thing to concentrate on when you're really hungry or lethargic. As someone else said, you will eat again, it's just 2 weeks to get through. But yes, it is hard. Its not like we are being asked to eat Big Macs for two weeks, its not a very pleasant tasting compromise...
Back to top Go down
Angelmystique
Top Poster
Top Poster
Angelmystique

Female
Number of posts : 1359
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 12:54 am

sorry but what is so hard about the opti phase?

u can have vegetables and salads and protein if u really need

i didnt mind it - it was realisation that this is my new life - i found it invigorating and encouraging
Back to top Go down
Synna
Part of the furniture
Synna

Female
Number of posts : 436
Location : That twilight space between sleep and consciousness
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Jun 2012, 11:35 pm

opti is like a training phase for dealing with the restrictions (for your safety) post op. Yes, opti is hard, it sucks and you can feel cranky, depressed, frustrated or just insane. But, it is for your safety, and it does help you get your head around the restriction to liquids/purees/soft food phases following your surgery.
Back to top Go down
angelpenny
angelpenny

Female

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Jun 2012, 9:44 pm

I have to agree with J. When it gets hard, remember why you are doing this (we all have our own personal reasons). Write those reasons down, put them where you can see them when you feel like going outside your diet guidelines, maybe that will help.

Also try talking to your dietician, maybe there is something they can suggest.

Remember to that the opti phase is only short term in the scheme of things - I did 4 weeks - it will be over soon.

Good luck and I truly wish you well on your journey. Take care.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Jun 2012, 9:37 pm

Hi,

I do not wish too offend anyone, just want to say this before I write.

I just woke up realising something - my weight really is pyschological. I will explain. One of brothers noticed I lost weight a week ago and then on Saturday he asked "are you sure you have only lost about 2kg?". I responded that I had lost about 10kg since Christmas. He then said "you aren't going to give up are you?", I said "no". He wasn't being mean or negtive just trying to encourage me....

What happened then? I was ok but Tuesday I went crazy. Had a whole stack of choc, partly because of hormones and mianly because I got scared. If my brother can notice what about other men. So I got scared, all due to bad experiences around body image and sex.

SO yes I want to change, if I don't my daughter will not ge a mum who can be around for a long time and be a healthy example. On the other hand no, the fear of the unknown is scary and I am very afraid. (I can't talk about some things, too personal).

I see my pyschologist today and will go and see the nurse and ask her advice as she had surgery with dr d.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sleeve rejected    sleeve rejected  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

sleeve rejected
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next