Huggy Bear
Kate
di83
Janette
redrooter99
18 posters
AuthorMessage

Sunday telegraph today article Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptyWed 30 Nov 2011, 10:52 am

funny thing is there is 1:1000 rate of death for the band and 1:600 for the sleeve.....how do they get it is 10 times more danferous to get the sleeve? Definately not a truthful article.
Back to top Go down
aswan
Part of the furniture
aswan

Female
Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptyWed 30 Nov 2011, 10:40 am

It' called "covert" advertising, folks!

Happens all the time, especially in the redtops.
Back to top Go down
Sammmy C
Sammmy C

Male
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptyTue 29 Nov 2011, 2:14 am

So if she only does the band then why comment on the sleeve.

Both procedures are very invasive and have possible side effects. This surgery has actually been performed for years on people who have bowel problems and they need to loose the weight and keep it off for the surgery.

Being a doctor and performing these procedures is a business and I wish that they sometimes would be open and honest that they dont want you to get sleeves because they dont perform them so you wont be going to them for the surgery.

So the doctor now cant afford the 60ft yacht that they wanted they will have to settle for the 40 ft one instead, a bit of honesty would go along way. I saw my surgeon this morning who will be doing my sleeve and he will only do the band now if people ask for it due to the amount of complications that follow with the band.

I am having mine taken out on the 19th of December and good ridance I say and bring on the sleeve in March.

Love this site you can really let fly about things that bother you. Plus these doctors that are saying that it is bad have probably never been fat in thier lives so have no clue what it is like anyway so they can just go away as far as I am concerned.
Back to top Go down
Daniela
Daniela

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptyTue 29 Nov 2011, 2:07 am

Hello,

Just thought i would vent my frustrations over this article... Last week, i received a call from Dr Talbot(he was my surgeon) and he asked if i would be interested in doing a story for him for the paper on my sleeve.. i said i would love to because ive had such a great experience with it but only if i can remain annonymous coz i didnt want my picture in the paper.. he said that should be fine however he will speak to the paper and let me know...

anyway i received an email afterwards from him saying, that he found someone else to do it who was happy to have there pic in the paper so will go with her as he wouldnt want them to pressure me into having my picture..

To say that i am super annoyed at the article is an understatement... I am so proud of my sleeve & it has saved my life... both my mum & best friend have now gotten it done by Dr Talbot because of my success with it...

If i had of read that article b4 deciding to get my sleeve, i certainly would not have chosen the sleeve! It was completely just bashing it... I had my initial meeting with Dr Talbot, he never gave me any of those little 'facts' in that article...which lead me to believe he was completely mis-quoted in that article..

I dont understand why he would ask me to do the story if he knew it was going to be written like that...

I think that article is BS, and i cant tell you how furious i would have been if i spoke about my experience and they just spoke how the band is better and basically ragged on the sleeve...

sorry to vent but i was super cranky after reading this!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 11:19 pm

I just looked again and there are still NO comments on this story!!!!
Whoever it was that read the comments can you post how you did it please?
Thank you
Back to top Go down
didles
Part of the furniture
didles

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 11:02 pm

I studied this at uni, briefly, this semester. By reading the article you can clearly see it was bias to what the journalist wanted to write. Dr Tablot, whom I understand performs many of these procedures, has been miss quoted and if we were to listen to the whole interview with him you would most likely find he said a lot of positives about the procedure. I think you would find the same about Dr Wendy Brown. I feel she would said some positives things too even without her performing the procedure.

The point of the article was to say how sleeve is drastic, can not be reversed and has major complications. The one doctor the mention who performs it was not directly quoted. Even the explain patient hardly got a quote in.

After studying it, doing an essay and having to research I found the media has a lot to answer for and I now get my news or articles from more reliable sources. You would be so surprised.
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 9:46 pm

I agree. If you read the fine print after hitting submitt; it says similar 'we reserve the right to edit, not print, etc, etc ...' so one sided when they do not show the total picture.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 7:45 pm

I notice that too Michelle. I left a comment and once I hit submit it just seem to disappear. The site said that there was only 2 comments on the article and neither of them were mine. Who knows where all our comments went? Typical media, they all report one sided stories. Current affairs programs are the worst and I refuse to watch them.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 9:43 am

I notice, that despite the fact that many of us here have commented on the article, there are still no comments. Other stories have a heap of comment, even those from TODAY. What is the newspaper afraid of?
Back to top Go down
pippa
Part of the furniture
pippa

Female
Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 9:26 am

georgexiro wrote:
I think Dr Wendy Brown is looking after her business interest !! Why won't she talk about the possible risks with banding ????

Maybe she isn't talented enough to perform the surgery ??? Maybe......

I am so grateful that my talented surgeon , Dr Loi knew what he was doing. I am 35kilos lighter and take no more Tablets (12 a day) and am Diabete's free !!!!

I saw Dr Loi today - he is such a wonderful, kind man, I'm so happy he was my surgeon for both banding, debanding - yes I started to have problems with eating anything and everything, and putting on weight - and sleeve - if I could live it all again I wouldn't change any of it :)
Pippa
Back to top Go down
Suge
Suge

Male
Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 2:43 am

A family member told me about the article and I felt immediately that it was some scare mongering. Clearly those interviewed have interests with the band.

I think Talbot's comments are nothing out of the ordinary, it's what we all hear in the consultations right?
Back to top Go down
jessied
Part of the furniture
jessied

Female
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySun 27 Nov 2011, 10:52 am

Professor Paul O'Brien MD FRACS

Professor Paul O'Brien is a world leader in the Lap-Band® procedure. He was one of its originators, having been involved in its design since 1991 and placing the first LAP BAND in Australia in 1994.

He is the head of the Centre for Bariatric Surgery and also the Director of the Centre for Obesity Research and Education (CORE), a major research centre within Monash University in Melbourne and he is the National Medical Director at the American Institute for Gastric Banding (AIGB), in Dallas, Texas.

Through CBS and CORE, he and his associates have published more research studies and provided more post-graduating teaching on the Lap-Band® than any other group in the world.

copied from:
http://www.lapbandaustralia.com.au/surgeons.html

Obviously biased, as the head of the centre did the 1st lap band in Australia. Probably bad for business not to bag the sleeve!
Interesting to read the research projects on the Core Website.

Back to top Go down
Jacko84
Part of the furniture
Jacko84

Male
Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySun 27 Nov 2011, 8:51 am

i commented but not sure where you can read the comments, told them it was ffffnnnn bullshit
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySun 27 Nov 2011, 8:30 am

I commented on the article too, and suggested that the Daily Telegraph visit this site to get their facts straight.

It was quite biased, and it ended with a really stupid and dangerous comment, in my opinion! How can anyone say the lap band is perfectly safe? Everyone I know who has one has had problems eating, or keeping the weight off!
Back to top Go down
georgexiro
georgexiro

Male
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySun 27 Nov 2011, 8:27 am

I think Dr Wendy Brown is looking after her business interest !! Why won't she talk about the possible risks with banding ????

Maybe she isn't talented enough to perform the surgery ??? Maybe......

I am so grateful that my talented surgeon , Dr Loi knew what he was doing. I am 35kilos lighter and take no more Tablets (12 a day) and am Diabete's free !!!!

Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySun 27 Nov 2011, 5:37 am

I commented on this article on the website...

I really dislike articles like this - it gets people who know nothing about this surgery against it in an instant... and it's not something we need. They've made it sound like the band is awesome and the sleeve is horrible but they don't mention the many people who have tried the band only to have a number of issues and move onto the sleeve... or even people who had success with the band but found it a horrible experience. Or those who have the band... have it removed... and put the weight back on.

Some of the comments irritate me too - some have suggested you need to learn how to eat right, etc, or put the weight back on - and while part of that is true, it's unlikely a sleever will get to 65kg, only to then start binging their way back to 100+kg. There's just not enough room for that anymore...
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySun 27 Nov 2011, 4:45 am

Oh Caz, that is so true and something I never gave a thought to until now. After reading some of the stories on the "band to sleeve" thread on this forum I think the sleeve is a much better option......but of course I'm biased.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySun 27 Nov 2011, 2:38 am

Interestingly they don't mention all the people who need second or more surgeries due to complications with the gastric band. I think that is a far more serious issue!!!
Back to top Go down
Huggy Bear
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySun 27 Nov 2011, 2:18 am

This surgery has saved my life, my health, my marriage and my sanity.

I do not regret it for a second and never have.

I have been private about this surgery, as I am a very private person anyway but it is stories like this that just infuriate me.

I am so thankful my surgeon performed this surgery on me almost 18months ago and my recovery was just perfect.

xxxHuggyBear
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySun 27 Nov 2011, 1:19 am

I agree with you Janette I don't think she knows what she's talking. This is a post I put on Face Book a little while ago.
An article in todays Sunday Telegraph (pg 22) about Gastric Sleeving apparently has doctors divided over the surgery. One doctor in particular thinks it is way too dangerous and says "With a gastric band or by pass you can do another operation if you find out you've done it wrong....". Not words you want to hear from a doctor. I had this surgery 14 weeks ago tomorrow and yes it is major surgery and yes it is serious but if you do your research and choose your surgeon carefully this surgery is a life saver. I have no doubt at all that I would die a very young person if I hadn't have had Gastric Sleeve surgery. Everyday I am thankful that my GP told me about this surgery and that my hubby supported me all the way in having it done. Those who are not obese or morbidly obese just have no idea what a change this surgery can have on your life. I still have a lot of weight to lose but I have not felt so good in a whole bunch of years.
Back to top Go down
di83

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySat 26 Nov 2011, 11:36 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/the-last-step-for-obese-removing-80-per-cent-of-their-stomach/story-e6frf7l6-1226207197080
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySat 26 Nov 2011, 11:18 pm

Article is called...........

The last step for obese

They interview Dr Talbot and Dr Zarrouk.

Its a Dr Wendy Brown From the Centre of Obesity Research who won't perform the surgery saying its too risky! Don't think she knows what she is talking about......says with a sleeve gastrectomy you take out the patients stomach, they can't grow another stomach!!
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article EmptySat 26 Nov 2011, 11:00 pm

Page 22 today , there is a article on the lady
Step for obese, goes on about how it's really
Drastic, ad it's taking the stomach put, well
Abportion of it, Nd how it's not reversible . Drs
Are divided over this.
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunday telegraph today article   Sunday telegraph today article Empty

Back to top Go down

Sunday telegraph today article
Page 1 of 1