AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyMon 09 Jun 2008, 9:43 am

First topic message reminder :

Ok here's a list of ideas for those wanting to know what to take on that big day!!

Sleep Mask, or Eye Mask,

Ear Plugs,
Lip Balm.
All of your prescription medicines in their original packaging.
Any X-rays or test results from pre-op banding consultations.
CPAP machine and mask if you use one.
Own soap, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner
Hair brush or comb.
Toothpaste, tooth brush. Mouthwash
Cotton undies.
Warm bed socks (with sticky feet if you plan to walk in them, be aware some hospitals will NOT let you walk around in teds you need slippers or bed socks with sticky feet over them)
Sports top/bra or bra with no wire.
Nighties.
Loose clothes for the trip home.
Slip on shoes.
Ipod/mp3 player.
A book or magazine.
Glasses (spectacles)
Wallet.
Pillow- extra comfort and drive home.
Mobile phone and charger
Camera for those attractive gown shots
TV guide
Pen & paper
Moisturiser
Chewing gum
Cardigan

Some other ideas are:
Portable DVD Player,
Laptop-especially for the bored but loving support person
CPAP machine
Medication, in original packaging
TV guide
Pen & paper
Moisturiser
Chewing gum
Cardigan

NB: It may be advisable to call and ask the hospital in advance if they allow some of the above mentioned items, such as electronics. You may also need to check if they allow internet access also.
I will edit this list as more items are added. Thanks team for all your input!!

Last edited by Hayley on Tue 22 Jul 2008, 7:14 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Nessa

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2012-02-14

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyWed 04 Apr 2012, 8:05 am

Still reading through the list, but has anyone mentioned deodorant?!
Back to top Go down
alice.r
alice.r

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptySun 04 Dec 2011, 8:31 am

i got the palmer cocobutter travel pack from target (up near the front bfore you go to pay not in the body product section). it contained a mini shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lip balm and cocoa butter cream. i loved it, the body wash smell was beautiful when having my first hospital showers attached to the drip etc and the lip balm was so smooth and nourishing on my poor desert-dry lips after having the oxygen mask on all night! i think it was about $10 and i'm still using the products out of it at home now.
Back to top Go down
z1gg1e79
Part of the furniture
z1gg1e79

Female
Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2011-11-05

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptySat 19 Nov 2011, 4:42 pm

Hi All,

Lots of great ideas here! Any other things that I might need, as I will be 2000km's from home.

Will be away from home, before and after op.

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
foober

Female
Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2011-07-31

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyMon 03 Oct 2011, 7:12 am

This is what I took:

undies for 4 days
bra - no underwires
toiletries
track pants x3
sports tops x3
PJ's x1 - just in case
crocs x1

I get really hot so I didnt take a dressing gown and asked if I could hang onto one other gowns to throw over my shoulders.
I showered the first morning after the op and moved into my track gear which was lose enough and comfortable.I bought PJ's but didnt use them as I was up and about and crocs were my slippers.
In hospital its always warm so I had no need of a dressing gown .
Back to top Go down
cocosnuts
Part of the furniture
cocosnuts

Female
Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Aug 2011, 7:38 am

i put everything on this list on layby so i could have nice new things while in hospital to feel a bit more human and so i dont read all my books lol. Ill be in for 4-5 days.
Back to top Go down
http://chloereed.blogspot.com/
Fraggle
Fraggle

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Jun 2011, 11:17 pm

I took:

Slippers (easy to get on so you don't have to bend down)

Comfy PJs - mine were tops and bottoms and I found they were perfect

Comfy undies

An underwireless bra - I had a maternity bra because I couldn't get a regular one in my size and it was a godsend!

Dressing gown - great for when you're cruising the halls or just get a little cold

Book (which never got opened)

Sports drinks - my dietician's idea, in case I was feeling a little blah and low on energy. Took a few sips out of one.

Hairdryer (never used)

Toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, body wash, MOISTURISER, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouth wash and face wipes.

Phone, charger and headphones (perfect for listening to a bit of music)

I didn't take soap (and the hospital didn't provide it) so i just used my body wash when I wanted to wash my hands.

I also didn't take in heat pads/hot packs as I knew the hospital provided them, though not all hospitals do. You can ring ahead of time to find out if you need to BYO.

And like Fishy I wore the same clothes home as I wore to the hospital. I figured I'd only been in them a couple of hours so it wasn't going to matter.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Jun 2011, 11:00 pm

Hi Nicnac,
I got a lot of hints of this thread, but here is a list of what I took.

PJs - loose fitting

Underwear - I had my period come the day before op, so wore my own undies into surgery and changed after when showering.

Iphone and charger

Book - didn't read though

TV/Movies - I paid for internet and movies on my tv, I did watch it a lot as I didn't sleep too well, I had a migraine.
Heateze Pads - think that is what they are called, heard about them on here, and took them in case of bad shoulder tip pain. I didn't need them.

Optifast - took one serve, just in case. I didn't use it.

Slippers - for walking around floor and for going down for the swallow test.

Toiletries - deodorant, shampoo and conditioner, shower gel, toothbrush, paste and a spray mouthfreshener. I used the spray as I didn't know how I would go with breath mints and my breath gets a bit blah after sleep, anaesthetic etc. I showered and washed my hair the morning after my surgery.

Going home clothes - I wore the same clothes that I wore in with clean underwear. I didn't wear a bra as one incision sits quite high. So I just had a close fitting cami and a shirt.

**I was up and moving around lots the morning after my surgery. I walked down to the xray department for the swallow test. I was watching movies, walking around the floor, sitting up in a chair etc.

Everyone is different about how they feel after the surgery, so I wanted to be prepared for all eventualities.

Good luck with your surgery.
Back to top Go down
Peta
Peta

Female
Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Jun 2011, 9:26 pm

Hi Nacnic

I was sleeved on 1 June and was also worried about what to take to hospital. In the end I took:

PJ's (pants and top) - it was easy to pull your top up when the Dr comes and does rounds every morning to check out your wounds, rather than pull a nightie all the way up.

I took undies (loose fitting) - but have to admit that I free balled it most days for comfort.

iphone

Ipad (I downloaded a couple of movies before I went into hospital) - the 2nd last day in hospital I was wanting to get out of bed a bit more and sit up, so I sat up in the comfy chair in my room and watched a couple of movies.

The night of and day after surgery, you won't want to do anything. There should be a tv in your room, but you will find that you will be drifting in and out of sleep that day after surgery.

I packed some pads, getting my weeks confused. But lucky I did because I didn't want to take my Levlen (the pill) while in hospital because it makes me sick on an empty stomach. So my "P" came early. I was glade that I had the pads with me.

My hospital didn't provide soap in the bathroom, only towels. Lucky I had packed everything I needed, but I did have to get my hubby to bring me some more soap so I had some at the basin and in the shower.

I took shampoo and conditioner, but didn't feel up to washing my hair. I took a hairdryer and did the best with my hair the 2nd last day and last day.

My hospital gave me a bath robe to wear when I had to go down for the swallow (yuck).

I hope this helps. Good luck with your sleeve. I'm on the liquid phase for another week and can't wait to be off that and on the pureed phase.

Peta xx
Back to top Go down
nacnic
nacnic

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

Hi everyone,
I'll be sleeved on June 18. I'm so stressed out so I'm making a check list for hospital paking to feel everything is under control. I'll apriciate any tips.
Back to top Go down
nacnic
nacnic

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Jun 2011, 4:24 pm

Hi everyone,
I'll be sleeved on June 18. I'm so stressed out so I'm making a check list for hospital paking to feel everything is under control. I'll apriciate any tips.
Back to top Go down
SydneyGirl80
SydneyGirl80

Female
Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2011-03-10

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyThu 05 May 2011, 7:11 am

Thanks all for your replies, Captain Twisty, hi i have been reading some of your posts, how has your weight loss been. I was just telling my mum about what you wrote about shoulder tip pain and she said she forgot to tell me about that and she remembers having it after her surgery (not weight loss surgery) but cant remember why?

Any valuables as advise from my mother, not to take in with me on the day of the surgery like laptop etc as i wont probably be up to using it, but mum will bring whatever i need later

Alaina
Back to top Go down
green stargazer
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2011-03-11

PostSubject: hospital   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyWed 04 May 2011, 9:43 am

I'd also suggest headphones, sleeping mask, earplugs, a headband and shower cap (I have long, thick hair), sugar free gum, and as the girls mentioned take your own pillow, a dressing gown (especially for bed warmth), slippers/slip-ons, hand/face wipes, moisturiser and lip balm.

It's a good idea to pack for Aunt Flo, even if she's not due and don't forget your phone/computer etc chargers.

I've been too groggy so far to be able to concentrate on a book but a magazine has been a good distraction.

I've got my iPhone and iPad and I left my wedding rings on, they just taped them in place.

bath
Back to top Go down
Shrinkingpeach

Female
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyWed 04 May 2011, 9:02 am

Hi Alaina,

The things i took that i used were my pillow, dressing gown - good for extra warmth as a blanket and to wear when walking!!, my mobile phone and laptop which i had movies and tv series on and the normal things like toiletries, pj's, lip balm etc.

It appeared that all my stuff was safe, but that being said there was a special on for mini lil laptops at big w a week or 2 before my surgery for $200 or something like that which i bought and took, i didnt bring the good laptop as i was worried about it going missing.

Hope that helps and good luck for your upcoming surgery!!!!!
Back to top Go down
captain_twisty

Female
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-12-16

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyWed 04 May 2011, 7:05 am

SydneyGirl80 wrote:
Hi guys, love all your posts, been reading daily

What valuables did you guys take into hospital. Are you allowed your mobile and laptop, i would like bring my laptop but is it safe.

Are there any little odd things you recommend taking in with you to make the stay better

Alaina

Hi Alaina!

Welcome and good luck with your surgery in 15 days!!! that will fly by!

My most valuable things were my pillow, phone (mainly for games and things), magazines, face wipes, you're own PJ's and slippers.
I didn't take a laptop and to be fair I don't think I would have been able to use it anyway. Just watching the TV for 5 mins sent me off to sleep. I didn't have any shoulder tip pain thank god but I still took those heat patches people talk about but didn't use them.

Thats my 2 cents worth anyway.

Everyone is different so I'm sure the others will come up with some great stuff too.

ALL THE VERY BEST!!!
Back to top Go down
SydneyGirl80
SydneyGirl80

Female
Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2011-03-10

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyWed 04 May 2011, 7:00 am

Hi guys, love all your posts, been reading daily

What valuables did you guys take into hospital. Are you allowed your mobile and laptop, i would like bring my laptop but is it safe.

Are there any little odd things you recommend taking in with you to make the stay better

Alaina
Back to top Go down
rowdy
Part of the furniture
rowdy

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 10:48 am

don't forget to take yourself to hospital too...LOL
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 7:57 am

A good BOOK!

My Pillow.

Nice soap, and nice shampoo, and a blow dryer!
Back to top Go down
Peta
Peta

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptySun 01 May 2011, 11:40 pm

Thanks Janette, that thread was useful. Yeah, I know I thought I would use my mobile as well. Just not sure what I'm going to be timing??
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptySun 01 May 2011, 8:56 am

A timer.........LOL.
I used my mobile phone.

Check out this thread............

http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/t64-what-do-i-take-to-hospital
Back to top Go down
Peta
Peta

Female

PostSubject: What do you take to Hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptySun 01 May 2011, 8:44 am

I'm booked in to be sleeved in 3 weeks. I have been told to take a timer - I think this is to time when I'm suppose to be drinking water?? What else do I need to know about the hospital stay? What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 697586
Back to top Go down
clickncowgirl - Jo
clickncowgirl - Jo

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2010-10-21

PostSubject: collecting my bits and pieces for hosptial   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyFri 31 Dec 2010, 1:46 pm

thank you to everyone who has given their tip bits on what to take to hospital.
my day is the 13 of Jan 2011, not long now, i got my hotties and my new nighties and leggins.
Aquarius,
i would take some opifast with you its no biggy if you don't use it. but aleast you have it if need be.
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptyWed 22 Dec 2010, 11:48 pm

Did anyone take optifast with them to the hospital? I'm worried that if all I'm given to eat for the week is broth, water and juice I'll lose muscle due to lack of protein.
Back to top Go down
Lisa1

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2010-08-16

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Oct 2010, 7:45 am

Wishing you a successful surgery Loz & I look forward to hearing you have a painless recovery.
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Oct 2010, 7:40 am

Hi everyone -
Well, it's my turn tomorrow - I can't believe I am saying that!
Thankfully I had all the tips below to read and went out and bought most of the items, even got the hoteeze sent to me, but, now I have to actually pack - boy I am getting nervous and panicking about whether I have all that I really need.
And I am not packing for an extended stay - 2-3 days my doc said and that's all I am planning for.

I can't thank you all enough for all your sharing - it has certainly helped prepare me mentally and physically, and especially emotionally for my new life.
I look forward to letting you all know how I go, not sure when though.
All the best for those still to be sleeved this month - and best wishes to those already ahead of us. I hope and pray for good and quick recoveries - and for great weight loss success to us all.
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
wendypicko
wendypicko

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Oct 2010, 11:14 am

Thx for the advice,
have packed the pj's lip balm, laptop, books, smelly wash, and all the essentials, so now i think i'm ready for next thursday Oh! boy getting scared and excited, 3 days of work left then going to stay with my partner for before and after the op, as i live on my own didn't want to stay alone plus he loves to spoil me!!
Back to top Go down
butterfly girl
Part of the furniture
butterfly girl

Female
Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Oct 2010, 9:46 am

i found soft leggings and t-shirts the best.
as you need to keep moving.... my pj pants kept falling off...

and lip balm
and a non smelly body wash for the first day.... if your nausiated the sweet ones will make worse!!

I also think a bottle of bio oil. use on your face and neck to reduce the wrinkles as you loose.... i have lost all the laugh lines around eyes, and mouth and my forhead is smooth again look 10 years younger using it twice a day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What do I take to hospital?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next