oldfart
Liquefied_stars
Shanna
Admin
68 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

What do I take to hospital? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyWed 10 Jun 2015, 12:47 pm

This thread has been really helpful! I go into surgery on monday morning (15th June)

I originally was just going to pack 4 nighties (I'm happy to hang around in them all day long haha) for the 4 nights and an outfit to go home in and another loose outfit in case, underwear and no-wire bra. 

Lip balm, toiletries, brush, pads in case (i've heard so many girls have their uterus freak out on them after surgery!), i was thinking maybe my galaxy tablet with some good e-books and movies/shows so i don't have to carry around books magazines laptop etc. 

Does anyone actually get to do much with reading, watching tv, etc, or do you end up being really drowsy most of the time and just sleep majority of the time there?
Back to top Go down
doedoe
Part of the furniture
doedoe

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2012-11-06

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptySat 28 Jun 2014, 3:31 am

I was in hospital 6 nights, 2 pre-op and 4 post op because of lots of pre existing conditions.

I spent the first night post op in the gorgeous hospital gown but as soon as morning rolled in I was up and having a shower and washing my hair. I changed into a satin nightie, which is my choice of sleepwear, very comfy, and  my satin dressing gown. The nursing staff just unplugged and then re-plugged the IV back in once I was dressed.

The following day I wore normal clothes. I normally do this in hospital. I took 3/4 length pants and t-shirts, all loose fitting and comfy. Also a light cardigan, or something to throw around your shoulders, even in summer, in case the air con gets a bit nippy. I had no problem with wearing undies either, they didn't annoy or cut into anywhere. I didn't spend a lot of time in bed, mainly sat on the lounge couch so clothing was really good. Anyway, it worked for me.

I also took my mobile and mini laptop and wi-fi dongle thingy, no free wi-fi where I stayed. No problem using either, even in ICU (they didn't have a bed anywhere else for me, so I was looked after like a queen lol). I found it hard to concentrate on anything like reading or playing games. I spent most of my time walking, napping or staring out the window thinking about my new life. What a shame I didn't have an ocean view.....
Back to top Go down
julie lou
julie lou

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2014-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptySat 28 Jun 2014, 2:04 am

You wont get a chance to wear anything but the gown with the IV in your arm, ozchick

I took pj pants and wore them straight after op, couldn't even see the yellow stuff afterward, they mst clean up up a bit. 

Couldn't put a top on until day 3 when they took PCA away and IV drip
Back to top Go down
Neens

Female
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-04-14

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyTue 22 Apr 2014, 10:02 am

Thanks for the great tips and ideas!! I've only got a week to go! Eeeeek!! This time next week I'll be lying in a hospital bed!
Better get my A into G and get my bag packed!
Back to top Go down
OzChick78
OzChick78

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2013-04-13

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyFri 31 May 2013, 9:49 am

Sounds good Pippimoo,

It will double as a bit of warmth if the room gets too cold.

So will you wear anything under the poncho, like a singlet or something to prevent staining from the yellow antiseptic they use to clean your tummy?
Back to top Go down
pippimoo
pippimoo

Female
Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2013-02-27

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyFri 31 May 2013, 1:15 am

I am going in on Monday but after reading posts I am shocked that no one else has said this I am taking my knitted poncho. No sleeves to worry about can easily be lifted for tummy access. Comfortable for in bed (reading etc) and walking around.
That's my hot tip and is definitely coming with me
What do I take to hospital? 42966
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

PostSubject: what to take to hospital   What do I take to hospital? EmptyMon 06 May 2013, 4:58 am

Hi, i took both nighties and soft two piece pjs,just like soft tee shirt cotton and not too tight a waist band so they dont give you grief around the middle area,i only took both because the nurses are constantly checking your stab holes and you have to haul a nightie all the way up and bare all,if it does not bother you nighties are fine,two piece pjs means you only have to move a little of each for them to check you. I just took my massuer sandals as as soon as you are able to be up and walking keep at it to shift the wind etc,i was off outside as soon as i could as i hate being cooped up inside.I took a travel pack of hair shamppo and conditioner which had body wash as well,it was great.Drinks you can take your self are up & go protein drinks,ovaltine or sustagen drinks and diet cordials,i took de caf green tea with mint which helps the tummy settle a bit and you can go down to the patients lounges and just make it yourself.Another really great thing is a see through drink bottle with the measurements marked on the side,i found this a vital thing to have and it makes it so much easier for everyone when they are tracking your fluid intake afterwards,which they do and every bit is taken down ,this way it is so easy to just look at the bottle rather than say half of that cup or this cup or that drink of juice or half a popper drink,i actually found that was the best thing i took with me.
Back to top Go down
claudiaroseau

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptySun 05 May 2013, 11:45 pm

That is great. I thought that may have been the case.
Thanks tam. Have a good day.
Back to top Go down
silvervine
Part of the furniture
silvervine

Female
Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2013-02-22

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptySun 05 May 2013, 11:27 pm

claudiaroseau wrote:
Hi everyone,
Could I please ask what is the swallow test, does it hurt? do we get the xray or nose/throat? Please say xray! [center]
Also a dumb question but how do you chance with the IV in your arm.
Many thanks

Claudia

The swallow test is swallowing a Barrium fluid and they XRay as it is going down and in the tum to check for leeks. Not all Drs do this. And no it does not hurt but is not comfortable.

The nurse unplugs the IV and threads it through the clothes and then plugs it back in :)

Hope ti answers your question

Tam
Back to top Go down
Cafe*Cat
Cafe*Cat

Female
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptySun 05 May 2013, 11:24 pm

What do I take to hospital? 692790 I took some peppermint tea bags as it is easy to drink hot (when first made) or cold (by the time you finish it) and is refreshing in you cocky-cage mouth. Nighties are more comfy than pj's, and you will be wearing those sexy pressure socks to keep your legs covered anyway. Also remember to ask for pain relief as soon as you start to feel pain, if you leave it too long it is harder to knock on the head. I found i.v. Panadol best. Also a small hair-towel would be useful, as managing a big towel on your head is hard when you are a bit tender in the tum! Hair dryer too as it can be cold sitting in air-con with wet hair.

Exray with swallow test. You just have to knock back some liquid that looks and tastes like dish washing detergent (they didn't use barium where I went, said this stuff is better if there is a leak).

They can unplug the i.v. for you to change, shower etc..

Last edited by Cafe*Cat on Sun 05 May 2013, 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
claudiaroseau

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptySun 05 May 2013, 10:56 pm

Hi everyone,
Could I please ask what is the swallow test, does it hurt? do we get the xray or nose/throat? Please say xray! [center]
Also a dumb question but how do you chance with the IV in your arm.
Many thanks
Back to top Go down
Keza

Female
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyTue 09 Apr 2013, 1:16 pm

Hi Angelene

I had a great stay being so comfortable and always changed into clean gear for visiting hours.

I just felt so well prepared - and looked and felt my best - (given Id just had major surgery) my family were in absolute shock!

Anyhow, I wish you well and a comfortable stay and speedy recovery.

Keza (Almost 3 months out now!)

Loss: 18.2 kg as of last week!
Back to top Go down
Angelene
Angelene

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyTue 09 Apr 2013, 12:14 pm

Oh god! I hadn't even thought of what to pack! My Dr has said I should be in hospital for 2 days.

Thank you for the tips!
Back to top Go down
Keza

Female
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyFri 08 Mar 2013, 12:15 pm

I had my op eight weeks ago.

I took with me:

Cotton boxers (very comfy)

shelf bra/strappy tops

3/4 length jim jam pants - larger size for comfort and tank tops, some with lace to make you feel nice

A couple of nighties, Larger knickers for comfort

A shoulder wrap for your hall walking after op. New flip flops for walking around in and up and down the hall!

Ladies: take some pads just in case. The body can shock into menstruating. (yep)

Toiletries that you like, light make up (lippy/mascara) can make you feel good at visiting time.

I took a few nice things to cheer me up, lovely note pad, a few magazines, a pink quartz healing stone. Whatever you need to feel good and focus on your speedy recovery. All the best.What do I take to hospital? 427584
Back to top Go down
silvervine
Part of the furniture
silvervine

Female
Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2013-02-22

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyFri 08 Mar 2013, 11:19 am

I have been asked to post this here as others thought it good info.

A question was posted on April forum about wearing PJ's while in hospital, so ill put on here what I advised them.

I am an RN and have looked after people after abdominal surgery and with the surgery we are having I would reccommend a nightgown. This does not put pressure on your belly as the pants would. Bring a brunch coat short sleeved (both nighty and coat) as you will have a drip in and it is very hard to get a drip in a long sleeve, and this can pull possibly causing it to tissue. This means having a new drip inserted YUCK & OUCH!

Bring something to drape around shoulders as it can be a bit chilly.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Girl

Female
Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyWed 28 Nov 2012, 7:57 am

Thanks nutbags will do....might have to go shopping lol and get some.

Slowly working through my list of what to bring to the hospital. I am getting nervous.
Back to top Go down
Nutbags
Part of the furniture
Nutbags

Female
Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyTue 27 Nov 2012, 11:23 am

Crazy girl - plan for four nights. If all goes well you will be home in three. But I was originally told 4-5 nights.

Pack a couple of sets of PJ's it is nice to have clean clothes on everyday.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Girl

Female
Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyTue 27 Nov 2012, 10:36 am

Hi guys,

I was wondering how many days to pack for , how long did most of you stay for ?
Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male
Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2012-03-12

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 3:28 am

I think deodorant is fine. Had to have mercy on the surgeon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sydneyinsurancebroker.com.au
Nessa
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2012-02-14

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyWed 11 Apr 2012, 6:36 am

That's due to the Betadine. I think I have to wash with the Chlorhex the night prior and morning of the surgery? Nurse gave me 2 tubes.

I read in the admissions form that you can't use certain things, so just wanted to clarify about deodorant.
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyWed 11 Apr 2012, 6:34 am

I did too and eye pencil too, not going out in public totally naked!!, no one has ever said anything about it to me so I always do it....

As for the deodorant, they wash ur skin down with antiseptic before the surgery, once u are asleep, so it doesnt really matter. U are often a yellow brown colour when u wake up and look at ur belly.

Linda
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyWed 11 Apr 2012, 6:22 am

Yup certainly did.... no reason not to
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyWed 11 Apr 2012, 6:17 am

Not sure where to post, but did anyone use deodorant on the day of surgery? Last thing I want is to be a bit whiffy LOL.
Back to top Go down
AdelaideJess
AdelaideJess

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-03-03

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyWed 04 Apr 2012, 9:36 am

I think 100%-er mentioned it a few posts down :)
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? EmptyWed 04 Apr 2012, 8:05 am

Still reading through the list, but has anyone mentioned deodorant?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do I take to hospital?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next