5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lou
Lou

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Cushing's Disease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cushing's Disease   Cushing's Disease EmptyMon 08 Sep 2008, 1:50 pm

Hi Hayley,

An Endocrynolist is who is best to diagnose this disease. 10 years ago they thought I had it. I was told it was caused thru a tumor on the piturary gland. I had very high cortisol in my body with no explanation for it. I remember have several tests over a period of 6 months all came back negative. I remember having a brain scan first the rest is a blur. Remember I also have PCOS and thryroid problems in the past. I don't remember your face being usually round and extreme bolging eyes which are the intial things they look for. I think your safe. But for peace of mind get it checked out.

Hope this helps.

Lou.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Cushing's Disease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cushing's Disease   Cushing's Disease EmptyMon 08 Sep 2008, 1:46 pm

It is pretty routine for those tests when you are over weight before they do the wls, hence my comment on it should have been picked up by now. They test for those levels along with your hormone levels to make sure there are no under lying reasons why your weight is how it is.

But Hayley if it puts your mind at rest next time at the GP mention to him the comment from your friend and ask if the tests for it where done on you and if not would he do it. Simple blood test.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
shazza73

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Cushing's Disease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cushing's Disease   Cushing's Disease EmptyMon 08 Sep 2008, 1:09 pm

Hi Hayley

Cushings disease, it is usually from taking steriod drugs, eg prednisolone and asthma medication steriods, auto immune drugs etc. It is caused by excess cortisone in the body either by medication or the adrenal glands are working over time. It is usually from a pituitay tumor. So I think you should go to the dr and get the right advise. The buffalo hump is I sign of the disease , I think your blood work up pre surgery would have showed the disease.

sharon
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Cushing's Disease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cushing's Disease   Cushing's Disease EmptyMon 08 Sep 2008, 10:20 am

Apple you do make a good point about not being diagnosed by now. But I dont know what sort of a doctor would diagnose it. Would it only be an endocronologist? Or maybe a GP could test for it...
I dont know. I was never really overweight until the day I hit puberty... which was when I was 10...
That really does say that it has more to do with PCOS, but, others say that Cushings does the very same thing! Your healthy and of a good weight one day, then you start whacking on the weight, just like I did. Either way, I still have this PCOS to deal with, and thats hard enough on the hormones... Bloody Curse of a thing it is. I wouldn't wish it on a dog.
Yes, Chris, I would'nt really have listened to what this person was saying except for the fact that she knows so well about the signs, and she is a level headed person. She said that it does look to her, and sound precisely like it. I'm not going to rush to the doctor yet over this, I will just inquire about it the next time I need to have a check up. I feel so very sorry for anyone who has this dreadful disease, what I have looked at so far makes my head spin.
Hayley
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Cushing's Disease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cushing's Disease   Cushing's Disease EmptyMon 08 Sep 2008, 2:02 am

Hi Hayley
I know nothing much about either PCOS or Cushings, however if another person with Cushings is saying it could be, then it might be worth while asking your doc about it. No matter how good our docs are, they're not perfect, and we should all feel okay about asking questions. You could even say that someone else with the illness has suggested it, and ask if it could possibly be true, just to ease your mind.
Take care of yourself.
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Cushing's Disease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cushing's Disease   Cushing's Disease EmptySun 07 Sep 2008, 1:52 pm

It is common in people who take certain drugs, ones used for anti rejection after transplants are amont those as the more common ones. I think it would be really odd if you had it and had gone undiagnosed, as you stated the syptoms are very similar to PCOS. As I have lost weight my hump is less noticable but again a place those with PCOS can carry weight.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Cushing's Disease Empty
PostSubject: Cushing's Disease   Cushing's Disease EmptySun 07 Sep 2008, 1:33 pm

This is going to sound so really paranoid, but I was told today that I sound like I have cushings disease!!
(By a sufferer of this disease)
I have done a little research, and to be honest, I do have alot of the symptoms, however, alot of the symptoms are the same as PCOS as well, which I have. The other thing I do have is what they call a 'buffalo hump'. I have had this forever, its a fat deposit just below the back of the neck between the shoulder blades.
The other symptom is a moon-shaped face.. and thats me all over.
Does anyone have this disease, or do you know anyone with this disease, and can anyone tell me anything about it?
Like I say, I have done a very breif bit of research.. I am not going to go bouncing to my doctor right now, or not until I have a bit more of an idea of if I have it. I probably dont have it, but it does make sense.

Hayley
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cushing's Disease Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cushing's Disease   Cushing's Disease Empty

Back to top Go down

Cushing's Disease
Page 1 of 1