Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?

Go down 
+33
kazbo
TNT
BaggLady
randaltoys
BFSCOTT
Shiloh86
Katie1975
blueeyednursey
kellycw
3182debbie
flick
Val 007
Firie75
gottarhyme
chickaboomboom
mandi5508
Wannabehealthy
Diva1970
lisabell
misled
CathyR
Teendabeen
skinnyminnie
wecannotknow
The Lady Helena
pippa
MrsSea
Jigglypuff
mapmar
Matt
Kylie
MMar10
Diamonds
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

AuthorMessage
The Lady Helena
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2009-10-12

From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 EmptyThu 07 Oct 2010, 12:10 am

When you got your Lap band?
I had the Lapband in 2004. From day 1 the restriction was enormous (kept bringing up pouchfuls of saliva) ....day 3 had a dialation of the stoma and on day 5 could sip water and so was sent home. I never had a fill in three and half years.

How YOU found your time with your Lap band?
I vomited every time I ate...joked that I had surgically induced Bulimia. Couldn't eat healthy food yet junk kept me going....but became severely anaemic (fainted in a public toilet) developed chronic and severe gstric reflux (medicated and had to sleep in a recliner chair as I couldn't lie down) and a huge hiatus hernia from all the vomiting. Had band removed after losing 25kg, three and a half years and my health.

Why you then chose the sleeve?
Gained the 25kg and a lot more. Was considering Bypass when I found info on the sleeve. Was daunted by the forever aspect but realised that a 28 years struggle with weight had felt like forever so my permanent problem needed a permanent solution! Found this forum and read, read, read and asked lots of questions. Was nervous but confident that I'd made the right decision.

How has the whole journey been for you?
A long one.....after six years I feel like I've found the right tool for me. I had no complications and feel healthy and happy with my progress.

Any last words to someone considering going from Lap Band to Sleeve?
All I can offer is if you have had a similar experience to me is to 'do it!'. I haven't regretted it.
Back to top Go down
pippa
Part of the furniture
pippa

Female
Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Just at the beginning.   From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 10:37 am

From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 697586

November 2007. From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 21984 Dr Ken Loi From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 446871

Everything great up till March this year - had steroids for chronic shoulder pain, weight went up, wouldn't come down, another fill, chronic reflux, vomiting, only able to eat at some times of the day (never sure when) and then generally rubbish foods.
From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 878453

Band stopped working. Band removal booked for next week - Dr Loi totally supportive. Hoping for sleeve surgey before Christmas/early Jan. From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 487524

When the band as working it was great - no hunger, sensible portions, exercise etc. But when it stopped I felt very out of control and unsure of what to do, this forum has been a godsend of support. I have felt totally supported by Dr Loi the whole time.

If you're in Sydney/South Coast area see Dr Loi or Dr Jorgensen - their information is great and their attitude is caring and supportive. I have a sister-in-law in England who is considering the lap band, I have been up front with her about how good it was to begin with and the problems I'm facing now, I see no reason to be coy about this lifesaving operation.

What have we got to lose? except weight? Better start to exercise From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 110673

From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 618285 for listening and wish me luck From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 749870
Back to top Go down
MrsSea

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 EmptySun 03 Oct 2010, 8:53 am

My story is similar to JPs.

November 2007. Dr Jon Armstrong

The first year was great, so very easy. Second year I started to get problems. Too many blockages. Beginning of the third year I developed shocking reflux and heartburn.
I went from 118 kilos to 87 at my lightest. I am now hovering around 106 again.

Band didn't work. I haven't had my sleeve yet, I'm hoping for a December surgery.

A bit of a pain in the arse, really. I worked damn hard when the band worked. Only to have to have it removed due to a chronic slip. When it first started to cause me pain, I ignored it. I was scared of life without it. Only to have it damage me. All the tests showed that my band was in the correct spot, yet when Gorgeous Jon removed it it was pretty badly placed.

What have we got to lose? except weight?
Back to top Go down
Jigglypuff
Part of the furniture
Jigglypuff

Female
Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 EmptyMon 26 Jul 2010, 12:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I am happy to share my band experience in the hopes that it may help others make a decision based not just on medical information, but experiences of real people who have lived with the band:

April 2005 (Leon Cohen), easy recovery and I was very happy with the initial results.

At first it worked brilliantly, I went from 145kg to 120kg in a 12 month period......then honeymoon OVER big time! The tubing detached from the port and caused excruciating pain for quite a while until my Surgeon worked out what the problem was. I had revision surgery to reattach the tubing but the band never worked the same again. I now weigh more than I did when I originally had the band put in...such a waste of time/money/effort.

The next 3 years of my life were filled with eating/PB'ing. All I could eat was chocolate, crisps, ice cream...you know all the things that got me here in the first place. I really tried to eat in a healthy way but vegie soup and yogurt does nothing to ease the hunger pains.

I thought I was destined to live with the band and this life of misery until my lovely friend (who was also banded) told me about her sleeve op. *light bulb moment. It took me a year to seriously consider the sleeve but am now really looking forward to having it done...

I currently have all of my fill removed and am eating like there is no tomorrow, and I can't stop. This has really reinforced for me the fact that something needs to be done...and soon! I have my 1st appointment with Mr Thomas SJOG Murdoch next Monday...woooo! Time to bid the band from hell bye bye.

I haven't been sleeved yet, but the wonderful people on this forum have given me more guidance than they will ever know...THANK YOU ALL
kiss
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 EmptyMon 26 Jul 2010, 11:27 am

Double wow MMar..... that is why I worry when people I know have a band... they don't know what damage is being done on the inside, especially when they have no symptoms at all! Good luck with your recovery but you will love the sleeve!
Back to top Go down
Matt

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-06-07

PostSubject: Been there and getting it out   From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 EmptyMon 26 Jul 2010, 5:24 am

Hi there all.

I have a band and at first it was the greatest thing in the world for me.

I lost 22 KGs and I am now stuck here with 6ml of fill and can't take anymore as it just blocked everything.

I still eat less than before but I have decided to get it out as it just doesn't suit my lifestyle any longer. I also find that when I drink I go from being dead set sober for a while to being off my dial.

I hear that with the sleeve this does not happen the same.

I am getting the band out in a couple of weeks and then will hopefully get the sleeve done in November in Sydney.

I am now 115kg and would love to get to 95 one day.

Off we goooooooooooooo!

MC
Back to top Go down
MMar10

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 EmptyMon 12 Jul 2010, 10:18 pm

Howdy from Texas! This is my first post and I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

I had the band in February of 2007. I weighed 391 the morning of my surgery. I was very happy with the band for the first year and a half, in which time I lost around 90 lbs. I went in for a fill (1cc) and began to have trouble eating or drinking anything, and started having reflux when I went to bed (even if I ate 3 - 4 hours prior to lying down). I went back to have the band adjusted, having .5cc removed. Upon adjustment I found that I could eat ANYTHING I wanted, even breads and pastas, etc. This went on for about the next year and I slowly gained about 40lbs back. I decided over this time that the band was just not for me and I decided to go with the Sleeve. Well here's where the scary part begins. I went in for my revision surgery on June 3, 2010 and the one hour estimated surgery turned into about a 6 hour surgery for me. I later learned that my stomach had "atrophied" underneath the band and there were several holes and perforations which had to be repaired. I also learned that my liver was stuck to and growing around the lap-band device and it (the band) was also stuck to my stomach, which was very swollen and in bad shape. The worst part of it all is this - I had no idea that there was anything wrong with my band at all! I was not sick or in any kind of pain except for the occasional "reflux"! The Dr. said I was fortunate that I decided to have the revision surgery when I did.
I have had a very slow and painful recovery and am still not back to normal. I have many of the post-op symptoms that are posted throughout this board and a few others which are very unique to my certain set of circumstances.

I will be happy to answer any questions that anyone may have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?   From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

From band to sleeve- Share Your Journey?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3