smileysoon
12 posters
AuthorMessage
smileysoon

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-05-04

about to start my band to sleeve journey Empty
PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptySun 21 Aug 2011, 12:09 pm

Hi All

Quick update!

Had a stress barium swallow the other day in Melbourne. Turns out i have very poor motility (i think that's the word they used) of the esophagus. So foods swollowed don't move very well down to my stomach and any time there is any pressure in the stomach it comes straight back out. So there lies the reason for all the vomiting with the band. And that food stuck in my throat feeling when i was full really was food stuck in my throat, but doesn't really explain the reflux. Doc thinks the reflux could have just been from the band being too tight for too long.

Anyway all this means that i won't be able to have the sleeve because it is a high pressure environment the same as the band, it will all happen again......

So my options are bypass or bypass but i still have a few more tests and a gastroscope before any firm decision is made.

Cheers

Smileysoon
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyThu 11 Aug 2011, 9:45 am

Dear smileysoon

Sorry to hear of your complications with reflux etc.

I had a band for 10 years, and suffered severe reflux for most of that time.

I had the band removed last year, then waited for 3 months until being sleeved. My surgeon indicated that a bypass might be required in time to come, but was happy to sleeve me first.

I still have reflux, but only mild compared to what I endured with the band. I take a Pariet tablet once in the morning, and it is no problem at all. And I can eat any foods, and don't have any of the restriction or pain that I suffered with the band.

It is now 10 months since my sleeve - I have lost weight slowly and surely, and enjoy my life so much. The surgeon is not even thinking of a bypass now - he is really happy with me. Hope you get the right surgery for you.

Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyTue 02 Aug 2011, 10:56 am

Ask if he would convert if you got the sleeve and then had reflux issues. I did develop reflux post sleeve, but it is very manageable with a PPI capsule daily. There was one person on this site who ended up having to convert to bypass for ongoing severe reflux that wouldn't even allow her to eat solids, it has now resolved I believe.
Back to top Go down
smileysoon

Female

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyTue 02 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

Hi All,

I saw my surgeon yesterday about a sleeve or bypass. I have some decisions to make regarding what is best for me. Because i had very bad reflux with the band the surgeon said it could get worse with the sleeve. So if i get the sleeve quality of life is likely to be very average. Plus there is a greater risk of complications with the sleeve since i have had a band than if i hadn't had a band at all.

I could go for the bypass but his only concern about that was the fact i'm from the country and long term there is a greater risk of complications so if i was to get sick at home in a couple of years i would need to travel to melbourne to get the care i would need, which in an emergency doesn't sound very appealing. If i was in the city the surgeon definately recommended a bypass for better weight loss and because of the reflux.

So.....where to from here?!?!?! Decisions decisions!!!

Cheers

Smileysoon
Back to top Go down
Emma1989
Part of the furniture
Emma1989

Female
Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyTue 12 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Hi smileysoon,

So good to hear your op went well! Hopefully I'll be bandless in a couple of months *finger's crossed*.

Best of luck!

Emma
Back to top Go down
smileysoon

Female

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyTue 12 Jul 2011, 1:12 pm

I ate a whole apple today for the first time in years! I forgot what a nice sweet fruit they are, could never manage to eat apple on the band with out extreme discomfort after only one or two mouthfulls.

I also have extreme hunger pangs....my stomach is growling constantly!....i hope this stops it's going to be hard to resist for three months before i get my sleeve.

AND my gosh do i have the biggest darkest bruises on my stomach from the band removal surgery, i dont remember ever have these bruises when the band went in but i do forget quickly...lol

Cheers
Smileysoon
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 1:17 pm

Hi Smileysoon and Nutbags
you will love the sleeve after dealing with a band.
I endured a band for 10 years with loads of difficulties, and finally had it removed.
My sleeve is 9 months now, and I love it, have not vomited, can eat anything, in smaller amounts, but am always satisfied, never hungry, lost 22 kgs, 67 cms , off nearly all of the diabetes and blood pressure and cholesterol medications, so savings hundreds of dollars in chemist bills, and feel fantastic.

Gone are the port problems, the numerous doctors visits for fills, empties, gastrograffin swallows, gastroscopies, vomiting, oesophagul ulcerations, and being afraid of what I can eat.

So, go for it and gather all the info and advice you can - everyone here is so helpful, they share their experiences and support you all the way.
Best wishes
I love mysleeve
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster
D'Girlz

Female
Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 6:53 am

Glad to hear all is well post band removal!!! Good luck with the interim!!!
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 11:21 pm

Glad you are already out from having your band removed, smileysoon.

You will be very happy with Patrick, I was sleeved by his partner, but have seen Patrick on the odd occasion.

Good luck on keeping a tight rein over your eating.
Back to top Go down
smileysoon

Female

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 6:36 am

just home from hospital after band removal, feeling pretty good. Doc said there were no issues with the band and no stomach damage which is great i guess the band and i just didn't get along! Food feels strange going down, guess the stomach is a bit tender. So nice not to have that band feeling though!

Slinky sleeve here i come!

Smileysoon xx
Back to top Go down
Nutbags
Part of the furniture
Nutbags

Female
Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyThu 30 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

Hi Smileysoon

I had my first band in 2004 and did fantastically, managed to lose 70 kg and never had any complications until about 2008 when it slipped and I had to have it removed. i had a second band put in and it has never been successful, I too get lots of reflux, wake up coughing and vomitting and also have to sleep upright. I have also put on about 15 kg as I am unable to get alot of restriction without making the reflux really bad. It was so bad at one stage I could hardly swallow.

I am seeing my surgeon on 11 July to talk about having it removed and getting the sleeve. I will have to wait 12 months because I let me insurance lapse (bugger). Anyway, hope your removal goes well and that the band hasn't done too much damage.

Take care Nutbags :)
Back to top Go down
smileysoon

Female

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyThu 30 Jun 2011, 11:27 am

Hi All,

Just a quick update!
I have my band removal surgery next friday the 8th and a gastroscopy also. I'm so so happy about getting the band out!!!...... I'm a little apprehensive about controling my diet with out the band in and before the sleeve surgery. I had all fluid removed from the band about 2 months ago and have put on about 6 kilo's since.......i weighed myself tonight and i'm 139.9kg's!.....i think that is officially heavier than before the band op.....
about to start my band to sleeve journey 878453

I'm really going to make a concerted effort to get back into better eating habits after removal.....more salads and vege and grilled lean meat...all the foods that are the most difficult to eat. If only i'd known way back in 2006 that my eating habits were about to take a big big big swan dive to being a flavoured milk and chocolate bar nutter!

So my first appointment with the sleeve surgeon is August 1st...i've decided on Dr Moore at NE WLS at this stage. I'm going on all the recommendations from everyone on here, so thanks to you all!

Cheers

Smileysoon xx
Back to top Go down
Pinnacle

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-05-20

PostSubject: Slipped band twice now going for the sleeve   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyTue 24 May 2011, 12:54 pm

Hi, I was originally banded in 2007, slipped and adjusted 2008, slipped and adjusted 2009. In 2010 I had the band removed as the reflux was intolerable! My starting weight was 101 and the lowest I ever got was 79. I have now ballooned up to 106 in the year with no band. So now I'm planning on having the sleeve on the 4th July. Did anyone have any problems with the surgery due to having had a band before? I have heard a couple of horror stories about people who have had to spend up to 8 weeks in hospital with leaks, infections, drainage tubes etc.
I would love to talk with anyone who has had the surgery on the Gold Coast and who they went to. Thanks

Back to top Go down
Leece73
Leece73

Female
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyWed 11 May 2011, 11:58 pm

Hi Smiley
I had the band removed in September last year and had to wait 6 months (my surgeon said the longer the better).
I have NO reflux at all.. can sleep like a baby and the full feeling isn't the same as it was without the band. You will KNOW when you are overfull... it's a learning curve but it's taken me about 5-6 weeks to understand when I'm full.

I take Somac everyday so I don't get reflux at all. If I'm overfull i feel like i have cotton wool down my throat and i get painin my back.

I remember when i had the band laying in bed propped up and waking up choking on small chunks of vomit and aspirating it... i thought i would die everytime... eventually go back to sleep and then wake in the morning like nothing happened.. was weird..

All i can say is I'm SOOOO GLADDD that the band is gone, I would never recommend it to anyone.

My sleeve has given me more success in the short time I've had it.. 20 kgs gone and I can still have my treats without feeling guilty.

:) Feel free to ask any more questions.
Cheers
Leece

smileysoon wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys it's good to get others perspectives.
Leece did you have the band removed and the sleeve done at the same time or did you wait the three months that most people seem to have done? How is your reflux now with the sleeve, do you have to sleep wedged up? Do you get that food stuck in your throat feeling (that is supposed the be the full signal with a band) with the sleeve or does the full feeling actually feel like a true full feeling like you've eaten a three course meal?

about to start my band to sleeve journey 21984
Cheers
Smiley
Back to top Go down
smileysoon

Female

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyWed 11 May 2011, 9:20 am

Thanks for the replies guys it's good to get others perspectives.
Leece did you have the band removed and the sleeve done at the same time or did you wait the three months that most people seem to have done? How is your reflux now with the sleeve, do you have to sleep wedged up? Do you get that food stuck in your throat feeling (that is supposed the be the full signal with a band) with the sleeve or does the full feeling actually feel like a true full feeling like you've eaten a three course meal?

about to start my band to sleeve journey 21984
Cheers
Smiley
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyWed 11 May 2011, 8:32 am

Oh my goodness. The band horror stories are awful. You poor things. I hope your new procedures go well for you all and you achieve your goals now girls.
about to start my band to sleeve journey 217555
Back to top Go down
Leece73
Leece73

Female
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyWed 11 May 2011, 4:52 am

Smiley
Your story is a carbon copy of my band story.. same problems, same choking... just so so familiar.
I am now debanded and sleeved and I'm making friends with my sleeve, it hasn't been smooth sailing as i still try to gorge food and sleevie doesn't like it.
Feel free to ask any questions.
Getting the band out was the BEST thing I ever did.
Regards
Leece
Back to top Go down
sharlene

Female
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: about to start my journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyWed 11 May 2011, 3:02 am

Hi
my name is Sharlene l had a band put in 2001 that needed to be replaced in 2005 as it got a leak then l needed to have that band removed 2006 as it eroded the stomach lining and l spent 3 weeks in hospital as the infection was bad.i was sick for most of the band only lost 15 kilos with band. Then late 2006 had the sleeve done l was sick for awhile as the band had done so much damage l had bad reflux on and of for 4 years. l have just had a gastric bypass done on the 27th april. As my stomach couldnt settle down l was sick nearly everyday. But since this op l have not been sick it has been great fingers crossed. l am down to my goal weight of 70 kilos l started this journey at 122 kilos so this revision was not to lose weight but so l could stop being sick so far so good

sharlene
Back to top Go down
raspberryswirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-04-21

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyWed 04 May 2011, 11:38 pm

no experience sorry but you poor thing!!!!

I really hope the sleeve works for you :)
Back to top Go down
smileysoon

Female

PostSubject: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey EmptyWed 04 May 2011, 11:31 pm

Hi All,

I think i've made up my mind to head down the path from band to sleeve. I was banded in July 2006 and by late 2007 i had lost 40 kilo's and was feeling great. But unfortunately from there i started suffering very bad reflux and got to the point in mid last year where i couldn't lie down flat becuase i would choke on my own stomach acid. I often woke up in the night coughing and gasping for air if i had rolled off my mountain of pillows that was keeping me upright.
I managed to get back to my old surgeon early this year (after i relocated interstate, and moved back again) and she diagnosed me a with H.Pylori infection in my stomach lining. The meds she put me on has rid me of the reflux but becuase i was suffering for so long with all that acid i have done significant damage to the bottom of my eosophagus (??spelling) and top of my stomach so now when i lie down everything in my stomach runs back out again like a turned over bottle with no lid! At least there's no pain anymore and no further damaged being caused.
I've probably been suffering from this since early 2008 when the reflux started and with numerous trips to the docs and a different surgeon (whilst interstate) NOT ONE of them made this connection. I was treated for ruflux with anti acid meds but that only seemed to work short term and was back every 6 months to up my dose. SO whilst i was busy trying to treat myself for the reflux with loads of flavoured milk and icecream (it was the only thing that took the pain away) and the fact i could have no fluid in my band becuase my stomach was so irritated, i have put back on all of my weight and am back to my pre op weght of 137kgs. I think i'm almost over the anger i had for the incompetence of other docs and surgeons for not making the H.Pylori diagnosis becuase ultimately i would not have put back on all that weight i had lost if it had been made originally.
So my current and old surgeon has suggested i get a gastric sleeve done and that i should think about it for a month while my stomach recovers from the H.Pylori and do some research.
Everyone's posts on here have been very helpful and it's been some great reading. I'm interested in anyone who has had a similar expereince to mine with the reflux etc that has already had the band removed and sleeve done becuase i guess i'm worried about it all happening again... about to start my band to sleeve journey 697586

Cheers

Smileysoon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: about to start my band to sleeve journey   about to start my band to sleeve journey Empty

Back to top Go down

about to start my band to sleeve journey
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: