Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC)   Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC) EmptyFri 25 Jun 2010, 11:31 am

Thank you GW :-)
Back to top Go down
Gutless Wonder
Gutless Wonder

Female
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC)   Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC) EmptyFri 25 Jun 2010, 1:55 am

You can watch it here:

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2936233.htm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC)   Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC) EmptyFri 25 Jun 2010, 1:38 am

I remembed it was on 5 mins before it finished :(
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC)   Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC) EmptyFri 25 Jun 2010, 1:29 am

I'm not surprised to hear the truth behind Mr Twentymans coma, but as much as it may not have been totally correct, it would have to have been a more balanced report than what I've seen so far, mostly infomercials flogging the benefits of life saving lapband.....at least they pointed out it was not all smooth sailing for everyone and that there can be complications. Terri
Back to top Go down
mcduff
mcduff

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC)   Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC) EmptyThu 24 Jun 2010, 2:35 pm

Hi

I watched the story but could not work out why the guy had been in a coma, obviously i was alarmed but am also realistic that any type of surgery has risks.

It was upsetting to see the problems teens are having. This is due to all sorts of problems.

Hopefully one day my kids will thank me for not letting them eat crap constantly or sit and watch tv or their ds's and why i put up with paying a fortune for out of school sports.

I would hate either of my girls to turn out like me!!
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC)   Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC) EmptyThu 24 Jun 2010, 12:51 pm

Completely agree with you J. Un-sponsored 'news' reports would take much of the stigma out of choosing WLS of any type.. no matter who is doing the sponsoring.
It annoys me to no end that as far as ANY report is concerned WLS = lapband. It's simply not true.
And as for misrepresenting the truth... unsurprising but still disappointing.

I really felt for the kids in the story though.
Back to top Go down
janelou29
Part of the furniture
janelou29

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC)   Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC) EmptyThu 24 Jun 2010, 11:34 am

Well I just watched it and it was biased and incorrect.

The gentleman Les Twentyman who ended up in a coma did so because of the following quote:

"The 2006 Victorian of the Year was undergoing lap band surgery at the Alfred hospital on Wednesday when surgeons noticed he had an unrelated double hernia, which had burst.

While recovering from the surgery on Thursday morning Mr Twentyman's condition deteriorated dramatically and he underwent corrective surgery for the hernia, but had to be placed in the coma to stabilise his condition." (Herald Sun)

I am a Nurse and believe me, his hernia was the reason he ended up in trouble, not the lapband and that probably came from his weight! these stories just frighten people when they do not present the truth! I am not advocating the lapband but please some balanced reporting please!
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: ABC tonight 7.30/8.00 WLS must see   Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC) EmptyThu 24 Jun 2010, 11:23 am

Finally a report on the lapband that talks of the disadvantages as well, I get ABC, SA 2 hours ahead of WA and just watched it, I don't have a TV guide so can't tell you what the shows called, only that it is on at 7.30 or 8pm. Terri
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC)   Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC) EmptyThu 24 Jun 2010, 11:12 am

In case anyone is interested....

Focusing on teens.
(Poor things!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC)   Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC) Empty

Back to top Go down

Lapbanding on Catalyst (ABC)
Page 1 of 1