applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptyThu 22 Jul 2010, 6:38 am

You have to look at the underhand tactics they used to tery and sell their products here. They could have pretened to be anything to the dietcians out there. You have to remember one reasonable brand multi is pretty much the same as another. it is brand marketing so they plant a brand name in the dietcians head and they repeat it to their patients.

also think of free samples think the ad on tv about which toothbrush do most dentist use. as my dentist says one reasonable toothbrush is the same as another dentists use that brand because they are given it FREE.

I have a moral problem handing money to any company that pretends to be sleevers pretends to be a GP in order to sell their product to a support forum.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptyThu 22 Jul 2010, 3:43 am

id talk to your local chemist,they will have a variety of products to choose from that should suit you.

On the newtrichew topic,I was recommended them by my dietition when you be a good patient you do as they say without question,so I went on the site and ordered them in a package that included shakes etc.
I recieved an email to say that theyd had a sale and hadnt charged me the sale price so when i wanted to reorder thed give me the money off which was around $70.No thanks,I didnt bother.
I think if dietitions are promoting certain things they must be getting something from the company??
But it isnt always the best choice/neccesary for people who have already spent or are about to spend a fortune on sleevesurgery and dietition appointments.Our dietions should consider that for thier patients first and thier patients emptying pockets and be looking out for us.Not lining companies pockets with our hard earned money when its not needed.
the best advice is to ask questions and and no be afraid to question things that we are told!!

Back to top Go down
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptyThu 22 Jul 2010, 2:50 am

ssjad wrote:
Okay, so I've been taking kids chewable multivitamins since I gave up the Supradyn. I am still having terrible trouble swallowing tablets without throwing up (never been good at tablets anyway, and the ongoing nausea/reflux is not helping). I've been thinking about the Nutrichews as they are at least well rounded in their vitamins and minerals.

Is the taste REALLY that terrible??

Alright, so without weighing in on the nurtichew debate at all (haven't tried - not likely to) have you considered taking a kids vitamin in liquid form? Some on the 'squishy fishy' types (not sure of specific brands) are actually quite pleasant tasting, and can be squirted directly into the mouth WITHOUT eating the outside part. The pharmacist I checked with recommended double dosing to get the adequate amounts of vitamins necessary.

Good luck with the nausea/reflux.
Carah
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptyThu 22 Jul 2010, 2:22 am

you would be trusting a product that has now sent people to this site twice pretending to be sleevers and a docotor in order to get customers. Their ethics alone make their products questionable. So does financially supporting a company suposedly helping weightloss patients with ethics like that.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptyThu 22 Jul 2010, 2:06 am

Okay, so I've been taking kids chewable multivitamins since I gave up the Supradyn. I am still having terrible trouble swallowing tablets without throwing up (never been good at tablets anyway, and the ongoing nausea/reflux is not helping). I've been thinking about the Nutrichews as they are at least well rounded in their vitamins and minerals.

Is the taste REALLY that terrible??
Back to top Go down
DancingOnTheInside
Part of the furniture
DancingOnTheInside

Female
Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2010-04-03

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySun 16 May 2010, 8:23 am

Carrie you may quote me anytime.

x
Doti
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySun 16 May 2010, 4:07 am

Thanks Tracey & Doti

I'm really pleased to be able to give something back, this site has given so much to me.
I've never done anything like this before and it only happened last night so, if you see me stuffing up, tell me! All (friendly) advice & criticism gratefully received.

Janey's still looking for Mods so have a think about it.

Tracey, I got caught with a book too, it was recommended by a dietician at the hospital and only available on a website so I couldn't flick through it first. In fairness to her, I was hungry for information and practically begged her to recommend something. Yup, you guessed it, $30 later I had a book (not much bigger than a comic) that would have been great if I had a band. I think I'll give it to my own dietician next time I see her and ask her to pass it on to a lapbander who might need it.

Hugs - Carrie

PS. I love this Doti "Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this post have been let out for a quick roam in the garden of what works for me." can I quote you sometimes, LOL.
Back to top Go down
DancingOnTheInside
Part of the furniture
DancingOnTheInside

Female

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 11:56 pm

well let me see here....

Carrie's a mod - yay. Congrats on the recognition there Carrie. This thread is now a courteous one - no rudeness allowed!!

Tracey I had been drinking - I was raising a glass for a while to ensure that I covered everyone's timezone for Gail's party (any excuse). Pity about the recipe book expense - I had a look at one at my dieticians and it did not appeal to me as a sleever-to-be.

I'm pre-sleeve so am playing a bit with my vitamins to see if anything causes me an issue prior to getting sliced and diced cos I don't want any easily avoidable issues to crop up when I am (possibly) feeling yucky enough.

For the past 2 years I have been taking the Tony Ferguson multis and have been happily buying them even though I'm no longer on the TF full weightloss program. (It's a very good weightloss program - I lost 35kgs in 6mths. I'm just no good at maintenance.)

The TF multis are biggish when I think in context of getting something down early post op, so decided to buy some Supradyn which I find yummy.

When I am over my (possible) issues with swallowing anything but liquids I will go onto the Centrum which is my surgeon's preference and easily available at supermarkets and chemists.

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this post have been let out for a quick roam in the garden of what works for me.
Back to top Go down
tracey
Sponsor
tracey

Female
Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2009-03-04

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 10:17 pm

Apple, on certain topics like this one, your bluntness is appreciated. I also got caught months ago on another website and ordered a so called recipe book supposedly suitable for sleevers. After postage, paid nearly $70 and two thirds of the small paperback book was full of the first six weeks after banding. The few following recipes were not appealing enough for me to even try....so an expensive lesson learnt for me.

Doti, well said! I thought the same last night but thought better of putting my opinion forth after consuming alcohol. he he

and Carrie, I see you are now a moderator! Congrats on your new post. I couldn't think of a better person.
Good Luck!! kiss

and for other readers wondering about multi vitamin brands, I love the Swiss Women's Ultivite Gelcaps. Easy to swallow and available nearly everywhere so you can always pick them up on sale. Maybe others can tell of their own favourite brands and make this thread into a positive one.

hugs
tracey xx
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 12:32 pm

I have to agree, the only posts made by them are to promote or defend that web site. Not a single other post to the forum. A doctor who can let a web site talk to him for hours about sleeves and bands when they are meant to be so knowledgable on sleeves and come away from the web site not knowing that a sleeve and band are totaly different surgeries. That says a LOT for that particular web site.

We work very hard here to make sure that people know what life is like with a sleeve, and to over come all the negetives associated with the band being laid on the sleeve over eating problems. It yes can make me very blunt and direct when I see people coming to this our safe place to promote a web site that does just that sets out those very myths. Sleevers do not need massive amounts of iron like bandits who rarely can eat red meat without a ritual, do not need to chew a vitiamin to get it down and do not need to purchase prepackeged slops to eat.

If you choose to take those vitiamins, be it your own personal choice, not because of the lies told about them. But do know you are finacially supporting a web site and company that lies to the world about the sleeve.

to any body I have offended please I apoligise and will do so in private if they prefer.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 12:32 pm

Dearest Doti,
I love your work kiss

While I was faffing about trying to compose what I wanted to say, you just said it all, beautifully.

DancingOnTheInside wrote:
One thing I do know for sure is that common courtesy needs to be engaged at all times, and if parties disagree on a subject stop trying to point score and just accept that you can agree to disagree.

Thank you - Carrie xx
Back to top Go down
DancingOnTheInside
Part of the furniture
DancingOnTheInside

Female

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 12:04 pm

ok...help me out here...and note that these are purely my opinions and I'm letting them out for a short run.

Is jack the same person as pyrolitic?? I'm thinking yes.

Is jackpyrolitic a doctor? I'm thinking no, it doesn't stack up.

Is anyone who is contemplating WLS even able to be ignorant of the difference between band and sleeve when the criteria for getting either are to be well-educated and well-informed about your choices and the procedures involved?
I'm thinking I'd have to be deaf, blind and plain ignorant not to know the difference after an info session (unless of course the surgeon only does bands!!??!!)

Are Nutrichews good or bad for you, or good and bad for you? I've no personal experience and won't be gaining any. From a self-educated point of view, and after reading so many negatives about the product, it is not my multi-vitamin of choice and the ones my surgeon, dietician and nurse recommend are about two-thirds the price of Nutrichews with the recommended daily dosage providing optimum levels without over or under doing any element.

Do some of the GSS community have strong opinions and may, at times, appear to be a tad too forceful with their opinions? Hell yeah, but like in real life, we get to choose how we deal with it. Think football team and political discussions at a bbq.

One thing I do know for sure is that common courtesy needs to be engaged at all times, and if parties disagree on a subject stop trying to point score and just accept that you can agree to disagree.

OK, opinions have been rounded up and are safely back home.

x
Doti
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-02-01

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 10:29 am

Jack - after reading this previous post
"oops sorry everyone I am getting the surgery next week but it is for a band not sleeve surgery.

I spoke to the band buddies guys about what you are saying and they explained to about the sleeve. I simply thought the sleeve was another name for the band. Sorry for the confusion.

While I still think the Bandbuddies site is great for Lap banders I can see why you sleeve guys don't have those type of chewable concerns.

They also explained the chewable vitamins were actually designed for weightloss patients in general and unlike the cheaper Blackmore’s product you mentioned.

But I really appreciate the time you guys and have taken to educate me and I love the way this site is setup it is inspiring"
Have to say that is an unusual error for a GP to make!
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 10:03 am

I suffer from the dreaded constipation if the iron level of a supplement is too high.

I take Centrum multivitamins which have 4mg iron in them and take one a day.

I had a look at Nutrichew and they 9mg iron in them and recommend you take 2 a day.

Hope this helps those going by the constipation line of thought on this one. Also the major reason I had a sleeve done was so I could take a normal, reasonably priced vitamin supplement (after my initial week or so with Berocca etc post op) and not have to take chewable supplements as the entrance to my tummy is the same as everyone elses.

Jack if you want to take Nutrichews, good one you. I just think they are too high in iron for those people who have issues with constipation and I don't see why sleevers would take a chewable supplement when they don't need to. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 10:02 am

sorry I meant their web site, if what I said confused you in any way again i am sorry.

yes I have very strong views that web sites out there should not be allowed to make money whilst lying about the needs for sleevers.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
pyrolitic

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-11

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 9:27 am

Thanks applesauce
I said this blog is open to opinion.
I get it ….you are the "band police" and abusive to anyone who disagrees with you.

Maybe you should try what Dark does and puts up a well thought out and constructive argument which makes you think

I guess the only opinion allowed on this site is yours.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 9:16 am

They are NOT open to opinions they are rude and ignorant and promot sleevers as needing slops to eat and bad diets that requre specilised vitiamins that need to be chewable to get down. This is NOT the life of somebody with a sleeve. They are munny grabbing people out to make munny out of spreading lies about sleevers.

As for dietcians making this situation worse by recomending them it is a combination of 2 things pure laziness to recomending something for both bandits and sleevers. the HUGE amount of campagning this web site does, think the tv ads about which toothbrush do most dentist use. they use THAT one because they get it for free and ask any dentist and they will tell you just like vitiamins one reasonable brand tooth brush is no better than another.

there is NOTHING done to you when you have a sleeve that makes you need anything beyond a reasonable brand multi vitiamin from any chemist or supermarket. the sleeve doesnt make you need chewable vitiamins at a huge cost or slops to slip though a band. allowing them to promot these LIES about sleevers is wrong.

applesauce
Back to top Go down

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 8:47 am

Dark

I get it that you had a bad experience but that does not mean so will everyone else.
Do you ever consider that you may have been an exception and that the massive majority could the benefit from this product. This is a blog an open area for opinion

I don't need to ask a GP I am one and my advice came from Nazy the dietitian for Dr's Loi and Jorgensen two of the most respected and well known "sleeve" surgeons in Australia.

My medical opinion and experience with my sleeve and band patients with NutriChew has been very good. I didn't even mention the subject of iron tablets. That being said high iron content is relative to your iron levels. So I would probably agree if you have very high iron levels don't take iron supplements
Back to top Go down
tracey
Sponsor
tracey

Female
Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2009-03-04

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 6:45 am

Any of us who were told to take iron tablets during our pregnacies will tell of the awful nausea and constipation. I was only 19 years old (young and stupid) and I'm sure they turned my insides outside!
My dietician told me that vitamins weren't the endall in the first two weeks after surgery if you have been taking them with opti beforehand. By then tummy can handle most tablets, especailly if taken slowly with milk or yoghurt.

hugs
tracey xx
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 6:26 am

jack wrote:
I love the NutriChews. They were designed specifically for sleeve and band patients. I...As for multivitamins causing constipation I think you will find that is being caused by your diet not the multivitamins That is simply impossible. .

Hi Jack,

our post-op dietitian did specifically recommend nutrichews, and I dutifully complied.

However, the high iron content can and does cause constipation. Any iron supplement can do this, and it's well documented (just google it, and talk to your GP). In fact, iron supplements are notorious for causing constipation, as well as nausea, especially among women (to whom they are frequently prescribed).

In my case, it was REALLY bad (as in, creating-other-complications-that-could-require-surgery bad). Symptoms were relieved when I gave up nutrichews and switched to the alternative recommendation, which is lower in iron.

Also, during the liquid phase immediately post-op, it is really difficult to get in enough fibre to support ordinary bowel function without the complication of iron supplement constipation. This means that dietary answers are not always available during the first 6 weeks after surgery. In fact, this website explains why:

"Taking iron supplements without food more frequently causes constipation ....".

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4926915_why-iron-causes-constipation.html

Their examples of "food" include pulses, which are clearly challenging to include in the diet immediately post-op.

According to the same site, iron supplementation up to an RDI of 8mg a day shouldn't cause constipation. However, each nutrichew tab contains 9mg or iron. That would be great if we only took 1 tab per day, but the recommended dosage is 2 tabs per day, so that's 18 mg of iron -- easily over the threshold that's "safe" in terms of avoiding constipation for those of us who are affected.

Anybody who's NOT affected by iron supplement constipation is welcome to buy the two unopened bottles of Nutrichew I have here... just PM me. (Although I'm aware that I haven't written the most encouraging advertising copy. What can I say? Nothing if not frank!)

Best,

Dark.

Last edited by darkstar on Sat 15 May 2010, 7:52 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 5:55 am

nutra chews only magical property is they can get past a band. the makers thought they would make more money and label them for sleevers as well. they are EXTREMELY expensive and all you are paying for is the chewable factor. I refuse to support any site that puts out the lie that a sleever would require a chewable vitiamin.

they guy sells chewable vitiamins and slop to slide though a band then goes and labels it for sleevers as well.

Sleevers once they have healed are able to eat a perfectly healthy diet unlike basndits, and any vitiamin at half or less the cost of those stupid nutra chews will do.

Supporting a site that spreads LIES about sleevers is wrong. Newbies go there and think that they need chewable vitiamins and slop to eat if they have a sleeve.

applesauce
Back to top Go down

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: NutriChew   nutrichew...ewwww EmptySat 15 May 2010, 5:11 am

I love the NutriChews. They were designed specifically for sleeve and band patients. I take 2 a day and have never had a problem. In fact they taste like the fruit tingles we use to have as kids. And as a doctor I recommend them regularly to my sleeve and band patients. As for multivitamins causing constipation I think you will find that is being caused by your diet not the multivitamins That is simply impossible. And as for price. I think you will find all the good vitamins are around this price and often a lot more expensive.
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 4:00 am

applesauce- nutrichew...ewwww 446871 OMG that me laugh, yeah they are gross, and i wont take anymore, at $32.00 a bottle !
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
jodie_mc

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-03-08

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 3:16 am

I made the same mistake and bought three bottles of the Nutrichew. Absolutely disgusting! They were pretty expensive so I'm trying to persist with them but as soon as they're finished I'm going back on to normal multi's. I've found they make me nauseous as well but if I have a drink soon after it seems to go away (not to mention it helps get rid of the awful taste!).
Back to top Go down
http://asleeversjourney.blogspot.com/
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 1:10 am

I think my count was 4 for chewable vitiamins they all tasted like monkey ass. I was back on tablets in under a week just to stop taking the vile things.

More people seem to have luck with berocca or supreden. But the reality is you will be back to tablets in a week and if the vitiamins are making you gag that bad you are probably far better off just not having them for 3 or 4 days until you can swollow a tablet. I do not think anybody ever died from lack fo vitiamns for that short a time hehehe but boy you can feel like you want to die chewing monkey ass.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

nutrichew...ewwww Empty
PostSubject: Re: nutrichew...ewwww   nutrichew...ewwww Empty

Back to top Go down

nutrichew...ewwww
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next