Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

Hiatus Hernia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus Hernia   Hiatus Hernia EmptyFri 03 Oct 2014, 11:41 am

how did they discover the reflux damage is it in the oesophagus? is it barretts oesophagus?

I had a hiatus hernia repair with the sleeve and never got rid of the reflux so late August had another repair and RNY. yes it is big decision. if it wasn't for my grandpa dying of throat cancer and how bad the reflux was I would have just got a repair.

You need to see a surgeon. what tests have they done in SIngapore and when do you get back to Australia.

PM if you want to chat further
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

Hiatus Hernia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus Hernia   Hiatus Hernia EmptyThu 02 Oct 2014, 9:10 am

Hi Caz,

I'm sorry I don't have anything helpful to add, however....do you mind me asking what reflux damage is?  How does this affect the body?

DayleD
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Hiatus Hernia Empty
PostSubject: Hiatus Hernia   Hiatus Hernia EmptyThu 02 Oct 2014, 6:49 am

Hi everyone - long time no talk (well 6 months anyway). Still in Singapore and missing Australia a lot - hopefully will go home next year.

Few health problems. Seeking advice!

I have to have my gallbladder out - no biggie.

But I also have a fairly large hiatus hernia and lots of reflux damage. Apparently the hernia is about 5 cm above diagraphm and up to 7 cm wide. Biopsies from the reflux damage clear thank goodness, but it is very severe. I am on Nexium currently to keep it under control.

I was told that getting this repaired isn't necessarily going to work (up to 20% failure rate) because of the sleeve. The other alternative is a gastric bypass which seems like a step too far. At this stage I think I'll just get the repair done and hope for the best. Then if it doesn't work, hopefully I'll be back in Australia and can take further steps then.

Any advice? Suggestions?

*sigh*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hiatus Hernia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiatus Hernia   Hiatus Hernia Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiatus Hernia
Page 1 of 1