11 posters
AuthorMessage
NormalNow
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-12-16

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong EmptyTue 17 Apr 2012, 9:50 pm

Hi Georgia

Welcome!

I am from Figtree and was sleeved by dr budak at figtree private on feb 22

My out of pocket expenses were the same as yours.

I found very little info on budak online which initially made me nervous, it seems most Illawarra/south coasters head to Sydney to be sleeved.

But, almost 2 mths on and I couldn't be happier.

I quite like dr budak (he is pretty no nonsense, which is what I like) and my stay at figtree was awesome and I am now almost 18 kgs lighter.

If you are also seeing budak and want anymore info feel free to pm me, happy to chat.
Back to top Go down
Mummaof6
Mummaof6

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-03-17

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong EmptySun 15 Apr 2012, 11:40 am

Hi, Im from Narellan and see my Dr at Wollongong (Crown Street)... Im seeing Dr Michael Talbot... the prices I was quoted for a sleeve were $3900 out of pocket with PHI and around $1600 or just a touch over for anesthetic (which I will get some back on this one on medicare)... I was originally quoted for the Gastric Bypass as that was my choice on my first visit, but then changed my mind and now going for a sleeve. The Gastric Bypass was all operations in a 3 year time from so Im assuming this will be the same for the sleeve... and includes a pysch and dietition appts.

Im booked in for September 12th at St George Private, I have already done my bloodwork ... now just waiting for the date to roll on...
Back to top Go down
MissMelly
Part of the furniture
MissMelly

Female
Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2012-02-12

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 11:55 pm

hi Georgi

I was sleeved 6 weeks ago by Dr John Jorgenson at St George Private I live in Berry so not that far from you.

Dr J cost $5000 which is payable 2 weeks before surgery and you can use your credit card it needs be. His anestistist was $1650 which is also payable the week before surgury, I then got about $1500 back from Medicare and PHI there is then a bill from the assistant surgeon of about $500 which you will receive about 3 weeks after surgery this is also claimable through medicare and PHI. The $5000 for Dr J also includes all your follow up visits with him and the dietician for the first year after surgery.

Dr J is in partnership with Dr Loi as mentioned by Pippa they share the same rooms, nurses and dietician, I found the whole process extreemly good and professional. A girlfriend of mine was sleeved by Dr J 3 years ago which is why I chose him. Also my sister in law works for a surgeon in Wagga who does the same thing and when I asked for a recommendation of a surgeon in Wollongong who does the same thing he would not recommend one but gave me Dr Jorgensons name and a couple of others in Sydney.

Interestingly most of the surgeons are currently in Darwin on a conference for Gastric Sleeve surgery and Dr Jorgenson is one of the keynote speakers, my sister in law and several others have just spent a couple of days in Sydney training with him prior to the conference.

Best wishes with your journey, ask as many questions as you can.

Melissa
Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male
Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 9:59 am

Hi and welcome. I went to The O Clinic with Dr Craig Taylor. My cost was $4950 and my PHI paid the rest. that cost includes all consultations with Dr Taylor, Psychologist and Dieticians. I am still at the "mushy food" stage but have already lost a huge amount of weight and am now off all medication for diabetes and high blood pressure. It has not been a walk in the park journey but the benefits are fantastic. I say go for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sydneyinsurancebroker.com.au
duzzenmada
duzzenmada

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2011-06-16

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 9:54 am

Hi Georgie,

I'm from Wollongong too. My surgery was nearly six months ago now at St George Private. My surgery ended up costing me around $6000 out of pocket which I paid for out of super. Was it worth it? Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes. I was on blood pressure tablets prior to surgery. The last one I took was the morning of surgery and I haven't had to take one since. My blood pressure is now textbook. My periods were all over the place due to PCOS and insulin resistance but are now like clockwork.

It's not an easy decision to have the surgery and it doesn't fix everything but I truly wish I had the surgery when I was 24 instead of waiting until I was 38.

You can't put a price on your health and well being.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
pippa
Part of the furniture
pippa

Female
Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-09-29

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 8:49 am

Hi Georgie welcome to the best forum!

I'm in Nowra and I went to Dr Ken Loi at the St George private hospital.

Initially I had a band then had this replaced with the sleeve, both by Dr Loi.

The second op and band out op were covered by my payment for the first op and all performed by Dr Loi.

In the 2 later ops all I had to cover was the hospital room and the anaethetist fees (argh!!!).

Dr Loi cost $3000 after I'd claimed bits back from medicare and the health fund - this included the first gas man's bill too. I also claimed a lot in tax. As it was 18 monthsish ago I'm not sure how much the fees have changed.

Dr Loi also has a dietician to give nutritional advics after the op and has follow-up visits bulk billed.

Dr Loi is a lovely, friendly, kind surgeon whom I could not recommend more.

Good luck with your journey, we'll have to have a get together as you're so close.

Hugs

Pippa
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 7:22 am

Hi Georgie and welcome to the forum. I went with Dr Craig Taylor in Sydney and out of pocket for me was $4950 plus a few initial consult fees for him, the dietician and the psychologist. This included the anethetist but not what ever you have to pay according to your PHI at the hospital. Mine was just $200 excess payment plus $47 for the staples used. I'm pretty sure that about covers it. As others have suggested have a good read and see what others have paid. If you can't find what your looking for just ask and you will be helped out. Good luck.

Kate
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 6:37 am

Yes, that is correct! You will be fine, and it is so worth it! I think I have saved that much in food since I was sleeved anyway...hang on...I have probably spent the same amount on clothes! LOL
Back to top Go down
Princess
Princess

Female
Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2012-03-19

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 6:09 am

Hi Georgie,

I just had my op last month, and it set me back $7,300 but apparently you claim some back and get a rebate on your tax so it should end up about $4,950 at the end of the day. I have noticed that some of the peeps on here seem to have paid alot less. Maybe read the forum and pm anyone who mentions a figure that is lower than yours to ask.

Best of luck hon!
Back to top Go down
http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wM7T9Uz/]
jessied
Part of the furniture
jessied

Female
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-02-12

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 5:42 am

Hi Georgie
Congrats on taking the first step with the appointment.
You will finds lots of great support on here.

You might like to check out the thread on surgeons. It may ha e more info for you.
Best wishes
Jessied
Back to top Go down
Jessica88

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-04-09

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 5:12 am

Hello,
I'm a 24 year old female in Wollongong, and I had my first consultation with the surgeon today. I want a sleeve. I am so sick of being fat, and I want to start a family. I'm too scared to fall pregnant at this weight, for the sake of the baby and myself.
The doctor gave me instructions to get blood tests, and a barium swallow. He said it would be $6000 out of pocket for everything if I go ahead with the surgery. I think it would be a good investment? I'm nervous. Is this is a good price? Will the barium swallow hurt?
Georgie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi from Wollongong Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wollongong   Hi from Wollongong Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi from Wollongong
Page 1 of 1