5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nessa
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2012-02-14

St John of God (Geelong) Empty
PostSubject: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyFri 06 Apr 2012, 1:09 am

Who had there surgery in SJOG Geelong?

How did you find things there? Were you happy with the service? Did you have a private or shared room.

Any tips?
Back to top Go down
Cocochanel
Cocochanel

Female
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-09-07

PostSubject: Came home today   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 15 Oct 2012, 1:55 am

I just came home today after being sleeved on the 12 October 2012 at St John of God. I was in hospital for four days and must say I was blown away by the staff there!! They where amazing, I felt totally looked after and special, they were funny, caring and profesional. My surgeon Mathew Leong and My anestethist Brett Chandler did a fantastic job and my recovering has progressed quickly. I had minimal to no pain after surgery thanks to Bretts great pain management. I have progressed well on liquaud and am now on thicker smoothies after four days. i would highly recomend the great team at SJOG!!

Ccoc xox
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 15 Oct 2012, 2:00 am

Matthew Leong is new to Geelong, yes? I'm sure he replaced George Kiroff, who has gone back to Adelaide (well, that's what my surgeon told me).

I also could not fault the care of the nursing staff, BUT I wished they would keep their voices down, especially at night when trying to sleep.

My only complaint was the noise during the day as my room was right next to a new ward they were finishing up. So minimal sleep during the day.
Back to top Go down
Tezee
Tezee

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-09-23

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 15 Oct 2012, 11:18 am

Hi Coco

I'm heading into SJOG tomorrow for my sleeve so I'm really pleased to hear that you were so happy with the staff. My surgeon is Darrin Goodall-Wilson and my anaethetist is Kenneth Carlile. Here's hoping Kenneth's pain management style is as good as Brett's!! haha

Good luck with your recovery.

Tezee
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 15 Oct 2012, 9:54 pm

Kenneth was my anesthetist too.

He's a Collingwood supporter LOL.
Back to top Go down
Cocochanel
Cocochanel

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 15 Oct 2012, 11:22 pm

Hi Nessa,
Yes Mathew took over from Kiroff, he is really good.
Your so right about the noise, that was the only thing that drove me crazy!!
I found on the second night I closed my door and had got a bit acustomed to it. I also took noise cancelling headphone with me that I use at work to not get distracted. T hey were a great help. Another friend in at the same time for a different op took ear plugs, so it must be a regular problem.

PS: I'm an essedon supporter so glad I had brett..ha ha!

Hi Tezee
So exciting about your up coming op, I'm so pleased with my descision. Don't hesitate if you want any nitty gritty details. When is your sleeve date?

Coco xox

Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 15 Oct 2012, 11:24 pm

Tezee's op was this morning. She was admitted at 7am. Most likely she'll either be in recovery or still waiting.

I asked for sleeping tablets for my second night there, but didn't work as the old bat next to me woke up at like 1am needing the potty.
Back to top Go down
Tezee
Tezee

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyFri 19 Oct 2012, 1:16 pm

I detest football so that wouldn't have swayed my decision lol. My surgery was completely successful and the staff were fabulous, particularly in intensive care. I think the ward staff were more run off their feet so harder to ask questions of but still were brilliant. Intensive care was really noisy but I had a private room on the ward and when I closed the door it was quiet and dark and I slept really well. The only potential issue i had post surgery was my heart stopped for about 8 seconds. They think it was because I vomited. Kept an eye on it and nothing further so all good.
How are you going Coco - still recovering well?
Back to top Go down
Cocochanel
Cocochanel

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyFri 19 Oct 2012, 8:30 pm

Hi Tezze

Great to hear your doing well!!

I had a private room also, shutting the door was a big help!

Gosh that's scary about you heart, so glad all is OK now.

My recovery has been so smooth, I havn't had any problems at all. Yesterday I had no pain killers and was fine.
I'm drinking Soup and Smoothies, water is no problem. I've had no reflux or vomiting. I now know my limits and the hardest thing is that I just can't gulp a mounth ful of water, everything has to be slow and little sips. I've always inhaled my food and drinks so this is a big adjustment for me.

I havn't felt hungry at all which is fantastic. I'm satisfied and full with the liquards I'm taking (about 200ml per meal). I'm even cooking yummy meals for the family and not once have I wanted it or been tempted.

So...so far so goo..haha!!

You should pop over and say hi on the 'Ocobter 2012' Leavers post, there are heeps of us October Sleevers and it is great to read the progress. problems and suggestions.

Would love to keep in touch, doesn't seen to be many of us Geelong girls :) St John of God (Geelong) 217555
Back to top Go down
Tezee
Tezee

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyFri 19 Oct 2012, 10:55 pm

Morning Coco,

You must be so pleased with how you are going so far! I too don't seem to be having any problems 'eating' or drinking and haven't found anything yet which is a problem. I've tried a few different soups, some custard, icecream, fruit juice, smoothies, water. I do get a little bit uncomfortable after I swallow but it only lasts a couple of seconds. I too inhaled my foods and drinks and I'd just about kill for a big skull of water to quench my thirst, but learning to sip patiently. I've found iceblocks are really good as they keep the mouth wet and quench the thirst.

I wasn't at all worried about the heart thing because I didn't know what it was until well after it happened. "They didn't tell me that my heart had stopped; I just felt really giddy and vomited. It was only when I heard the nurses doing handover that they sounded a bit strange about it and then later someone came in and told me they were keeping an eye on me beause of it. They thought i might have to stay in intensive care longer but it was a once-off thing so all was good. They said it is quite common (though the nurses all seemed shocked by it) and due to the nausea.

I am brand new to chatting online and feel a bit weird talking to a large group of people all at once, plus I get really lost with who said what and trying to find replies lol. I've been eagerly reading what people have to say and have posted a couple of things so will put myself out there and try a bit harder to include myself.

I would love to keep in touch and maybe meet up one day.
Back to top Go down
Cocochanel
Cocochanel

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyTue 23 Oct 2012, 9:13 am

Hi Tezee

How are you feeling?

Hope your going well.

Coco xox
Back to top Go down
Tezee
Tezee

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyThu 25 Oct 2012, 10:31 am

Hi Coco

I'm going great! I am so lucky that so far I'm just plodding along without any problems. The only issue I have is that I am really craving being able to chew food instead of drinking it but I saw the dietician this week and she said because I've been going so well she's happy for me to progress to soft mashed foods in addition to the purees - yippee! I just need to be aware that I might not be able to tolerate the mash so just have very small amounts at first. Tonight I had steamed fish and mashed potato and instead of pureeing (?) I just squashed it in my mouth until it was lump free - no problems at all and it was sooooo nice to chew food! Obviously I'm not going to tackle a steak yet but it gives me hope that one day I will be able to :) I am still quiet tired and have not much energy but managing to get through the days now without a nana nap; though I must confess to a quiet sit with my eyes closed for a little while in the afternoons. I'm back at work on Monday so am hoping with a bit more "solid" protein food I might have the energy to survive.

How are you going?

Tezee

:)
Back to top Go down
Cocochanel
Cocochanel

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyThu 25 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm

Hi Tezee

Sound like your having a dream run like me!

Are you seeing Aimee at SJG? I'm seing her Monday for my first follow up. I'm glad to hear she was OK for yu to go onto mash as I have already done that abit myself. I find if I eat normal food and chew it until it's smooth I havn't had any problems. You do feel fuller than with the liquard diet.

I had an appointment after work last night so grabed a small pototoe and gravy from KFC on my way. I could only eat 4 teaspoon fulls and I was satisfied and full. It kept me going until I got home later that night and then I had some steamed fish.

I'm just so thriller with my sleeve!!!!

Maybe we could catchup for a walk and chat along the Geelong Water front.

I'm in Ocean Grove, where do you live?

Coco xox
Back to top Go down
Tezee
Tezee

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyFri 26 Oct 2012, 8:44 am

Hi Coco

I saw Aimee for my pre-op visit but Lisa came in and saw me in hospital and I had this week's appointment with her. My next appointment just before Christmas is with Aimee again as it just depends on when I can get in for the appointments and what day's they work. Aimee was excellent, and so was Lisa. I spoken with dietician's before and often feel they are a bit condescending but haven't felt that way with either Aimee or Lisa.

KFC potato and gravy sounds like a great idea if I need something in a hurry. My family love KFC so at least I can have something too if they do. My daughter graduted from Year 12 today so we took her out for lunch to a pub and I ordered fish and vegies and chips (figured the rest of the family would eat my leftovers). I easily managed to eat the fish, we a very small portion of it, and ate one chip as it was soft on the outside so easy to puree in my mouth. I couldn't eat the vegies though as they gave me al dente bok choy, cabbage and carrot which I couldn't squish up. It was weird ordering a juice and only drinking a small mouthful out of the top of it. Think I'll just go with water next time. It was really good knowing that I could go to a pub and have a normal meal and still be able to eat something. They did have potato and bacon soup on the menu but I am so not enjoying soup anymore! I too am thrilled with my sleeve - I've been soooo lucky and am so excited that finally things are going to change.

Are you working full time? I'm scared I'm not going to survive all next week at work as I need to have a rest in the middle of the day. Do you think they'd mind me having a nap at my desk? lol

A walk along the Waterfront sounds lovely but I'm busy next weekend and not sure I'm up to making commitments after work yet. Would you prefer after work one day in a couple of weeks, or a weekend? I live in Belmont.

Time for dinner - pureed roast pork and gravy with some pumpkin, potato and carrot - yum!

:)

Tezee
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 21 Jan 2013, 5:44 am

Just thought I'd check in and see how everyone is going.

I'm 6 and a bit months post op and 38kg down.

22kg to go until I reach my goal weight.
Back to top Go down
Cocochanel
Cocochanel

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyTue 22 Jan 2013, 9:34 am

Hi Nessa

So nice to hear from you!!

I'm down 12.5kg in 3 months. Xmas has been tough, I've eaten lots of the wrong foods, so my loss isn't what I had hoped. But still, I'm so happy that I had the sleeve. I just spent 10 days overseas on a work trip and I had no trouble with any foods, I just could only have small serves.

You must be looking amazing after a loss of 38kg!!! That is incredible.

How have you found it in making good food choices? This seems to be my hardest challenge.

Coco
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyTue 22 Jan 2013, 11:29 pm

Yeah the Christmas/New Year period was a bit tough food wise, but I managed. Tried not to be overly bad.

Still have a few bad habits, ie nibbling between meals. Must break these.

I'm travelling later this year (Hawaii), so it'll be interesting to see how things go at meal times, as the serving sizes in the US are MASSIVE and that's just entree (or appetiser as they call it). I might have to share many things with my sister. We'll see.

Food choice wise, I think I'm doing OK. I haven't gone back to eating a lot of foods that I did pre-op (no fast food, ie Maccas etc) and very very rarely will I have something sweet to eat after a meal. If I do, it'll just be a mouthful of someone elses. I have also not touched alcohol. Not that I drank heaps, but I'd have a very rare glass of something. It'll be hard in Hawaii though as I enjoy having a cocktail...or 2...or 3 LOL.

I saw Darrin last month for my 6 month post op check up and he was 'chuffed' at my progress (I work for my GP so I saw what he wrote in the letter LOL). I'll see him again in June, by which time I hope to be at my goal weight. Discussed body lift etc and he suggested that I wait a year before considering it, to let things settle. Not sure how I'll manage. Things are bad enough now and to wait another year?!?!
Back to top Go down
Ginger456
Ginger456

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2013-07-14

PostSubject: Geelong surgery   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013, 5:27 am

Hi All..I do hope you are still on line as i have a few questions about surgery in Geelong.
I have an initial appointment booked with Dr Goodall Wilson next week, and Im quite excited at the prospect of starting this journey. St John of God (Geelong) 487524However, i have also just discovered that my health insurance wont cover but I am hoping to self fund. Just wondering if any of you other Geelong peeps also self funded. I did call dr Mathew Leongs rooms also and may go to see him for a consult and see about the costs at his surgery. - Looking online, it seems that this oclinic in nsw is the best option for self funded.. but thats a fair way away..
I feel very childish when i say i dont want to wait the 12 months for my PHI to kick in tp the top level ( i only have mid cover that excluded weight loss surgery).. but i really dont want to wait, i am so keen and sooo sick of being over weight.
i hope its affordable!

Ginger
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013, 5:35 am

Hi Ginger...yeah I'm still around.  Ask whatever you wish.

If you want to catch up and chat in person, let me know and we can work something out.

Who are you with for PHI?  You may need to consider changing your level of cover or provider if you want to use PHI.  I know you probably don't want to wait a year, but maybe think about it?  I have top level with AHM, no extras.  Had to up from basic and wait a year.

From memory, someone did say that the surgery with Darrin if you pay yourself is around $12,000?  You can always ask him or his receptionist for prices and they'll be more then happy to help you.
Back to top Go down
Ginger456
Ginger456

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013, 5:52 am

Thanks Nessa.. Im with NIB and have a mid level cover, which if i was with BUPA would cover the weight loss surgery but NIB have an exculsion for this type of surgery. I can put
up the cover to the top level and wait - as you did but I will wait to see if he will do it without it and just see what the cost is. ($12000) seems cheap - I got a quote from that oclinic in nsw and they are around $20000 which included the pre and post of appointments and other add ons like psych etc.. of course it is too difficult to go there, i just asked them if they have any reciprical agreements with hospitals in victoria..

I do know what you mean by looking out for complications, but i guess i can discuss with Dr Goodall Wilson. I see there is also Mathew Leong in Geelong performing these ops as well, so i may get a referral for him also.
Nessa, did you choose to wait the 6 months for your op (from your 1st appointment) or was that as soon as it could be done?
XGinger
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013, 5:57 am

Being Christmas and everything, I waited a few months, plus I needed to have those investigations prior, which as you can see, were done in January.

I was initially booked to be sleeved in March but chickened out and put it back until Darrin's next available, which was June and possibly when my top level of PHI kicked in?  Can't remember when I upped it.

I got a call to say there had been a cancellation and could've been done earlier in the month, but I was going away myself for a few days....I used that weekend as my last indulgence :).

I had no post op complications...smooth sailing in recovery and at home.  The only issue I had was I nearly passed out when my mum changed the dressings day 5 post op, not sure why.  I just became really light headed, broke out into a sweat and felt as though I was going to throw up.  Like I said, other than that, no issues.
Back to top Go down
Amanda123

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-08-18

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptySun 18 Aug 2013, 2:59 pm

Hi ginger456, I am nearly 6 weeks post op with Mathew Leong, i was self funded, I paid $15,600 upfront but out of pocket only ended up $11,400, as you are charged worse case amount for everything and if your op has no complications you are reimbursed, I found mathew leong to be fantastic and I highly recommended him, my op was at SJOG, the staff were just amazing my only complaint was the staff noise at night, I stayed right next to the nurse station and my first two nights I didn't sleep and on my third night I was given a sleeping tablet and closed the room door which did help, the construction work didn't bother me as I didn't sleep during the day, I've suffered reflux and heartburn a little but I'm trialing all different foods to see what I can and cannot eat, I have lost 18.5kg so far so that out weighs the horrible reflux :)))
Back to top Go down
Ginger456
Ginger456

Female

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) EmptyMon 19 Aug 2013, 10:36 pm

HI Amanda.. Great to hear from you and thats really good news about your payment.. Mine is about the same up front. I have booked with Dr Goodall Wilson. Have had my appt with the dietician yesterday and all is well.. no surprises there.
It sounds like you are working through the foods to see what suits you if you are having reflux. But i agree with the weight loss outweighing the issues.. thats fantastic and well done.

May I ask what you weighed going into the op.. and how long you stayed in hospital. Very personal, i Know and i appreciate if you would rather keep it private.
Thanks for sharing Amanda
X Ginger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: St John of God (Geelong)   St John of God (Geelong) Empty

Back to top Go down

St John of God (Geelong)
Page 1 of 1