AuthorMessage
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

St John of God Hospital - Bunbury Empty
PostSubject: St John of God Hospital - Bunbury   St John of God Hospital - Bunbury EmptyWed 31 Aug 2011, 7:35 am

I was sleeved at SJOGH Bunbury - and would have to give them a 6/10.

They are very professional, but are also a teaching hospital, so towards the end of my stay I was looked after by a student nurse a few times.

When I first got to hospital, the staff were brilliant, and I didn't have to wait long to go into surgery.

Coming out of surgery I honestly can't remember what my first nurse was like - she obviously can't have been too bad or I would have remembered that, lol.

I was struggling big time the following morning of my op, but the nurse had a "toughen up" attitude, and when transferred out of high dependancy, she made me walk to the shared ward - I was not happy about that I was struggling to breathe and very nearly passed out, and not happy about being put in a shared ward.

That particular nurse for some reason forced me to drink panadol (the soluable type) - which was DISGUSTING. I didn't want it, but was made to drink it. I felt slightly like a child being made to do something. I was moved to a private room pretty quickly after having a mini tantrum.

Next nurse was not much better, and after waking up screaming/crying in pain in the middle of the night I was told that it was because I had slept too long & not used my morphine pump. There was another nurse on at the same time (not mine - but the same ward), which had been sleeved, and when I woke up screaming/crying the second time that night, sat with me and calmed me down & got me a hot blanket to put on my stomach (which did nothing, but the morphine kicked in eventually!).

The next morning my nurse was brilliant, and when my temp went up, my surgeon was rung immediately, I was taken back to high dependency and 2 hours later I was back in surgery with a suspected leak.

I was in high dependency for 3 days after that, every nurse was brilliant (HD is a different ward to the one I as in before - they have 4 different types at this hosp). There was one student nurse that I was not particularly fond of, as when she removed my drain she didn't do it properly, hurt like HELL, and her supervisor had to step in & finish taking it out. It also felt a bit odd someone calling me "My dear" when they're younger than me. LOL.

I was in hospital for 7 nights, and after being taken out of the first ward, and into the second one I had a much better stay. The nurses were MUCH nicer on the Slaney ward, more attentive, a few were good to have a laugh with, etc. The ladies that do the food menus/cart & the cleaners were all so lovely as well, and I really looked forward to when they both came in to my room in the mornings & I had a chat with them (one had also been sleeved & it was great to hear some words of wisdom),

I just think that for such a large private hospital, they could update the facilities slightly. The beds etc were fine. But the tv's were about 15 years old, and the reception of some channels were terrible. I know that sounds really petty, but when you're in hospital for a week - having a decent tv is kind of an essential!

Overall it's a good hospital, but it is quite large so I think sometimes you could get a little bit lost in the system.
Back to top Go down
justjed
justjed

Female
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-05-18

PostSubject: Re: St John of God Hospital - Bunbury   St John of God Hospital - Bunbury EmptyFri 09 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to add my rating for the hospital I was sleeved at. I was sleeved at SJOGH in Bunbury and I would rate them probably at a 8/10 I think this is probably because I didn't have any complications though and so probably had a much more positive experience overall. I agree it is a teaching hospital but I have never had a problem with letting the student nurses or whatever 'practice' on me, LOL. We all have to learn right? I did warn the student who was reinserting the IV line into me though that she had one chance to get it and if she couldnt do it in one then I was not going to be a pin cushion and her boss would have to do it, needless to say she got it in one and seemed very relieved at that, LOL. I found my stay in the hospital to be very good and cannot fault the staff that I dealt with in anyway, from the orderlies and PCA's right through to the Nursing staff , they were all happy to help in anyway they could and very professional in their manner. My one beef would be the time it took to have the call bell answered on night shift, but then I can't even really complain about that because I know the night staff are a lot smaller in number than day staff with just as many patients to attend to. So I can generally recommend this hospital for those being sleeved in Bunbury as an overall clean, professional place to have your procedure done. I did stay first in the high dependancy ward and then on the Slaney ward for my stay though so that might be the difference between mine and littlemisscee's experiences.

Cheers

Jed
Back to top Go down
snowbunny
Part of the furniture
snowbunny

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: St John of God Hospital - Bunbury   St John of God Hospital - Bunbury EmptyMon 09 Apr 2012, 11:57 am

I had my Sleeve done at SJOGH Bunbury by Dr Werapitiya. I attended a pre admission appointment a few days before my surgery. The nurse explained everything and was excited to see me as I was the first person to attend my appointment that day - the people before me did not show up!!
I was admitted to Day Surgery, that was no big deal as I had a previous ankle operation there no so long before. I knew the drill, put on gown, get weighed, put on stockings, pee in cup etc. The nurses were young, but professional and lovely.
I was in a bed before I knew it. The Gas Man came in, checked me over and cracked jokes.
I had a short sleep and was taken to the operating room. Everyone introduced themselves, then I was put to sleep.
I woke in recovery, I asked the nurse to ring my husband as he wanted to know when the op was over. Back to sleep.
I woke again on the ward, the nurses had already rung my hubby to let him know what room I was in and that I was fine. The nurses were lovely.
I had no problems with my care, everyone was so nice and Dr W is very much liked and respected by the staff.
The one time I needed a nurse to get some anti nausea drugs, I buzzed and a nurse rushed in and said she would come back ASAP as they had trouble with another patient who was not responsive. (I could hear the commotion going on in the next room). The nursed rushed back with some meds for me and apologised for leaving me.
I do not think I could fault my care at all. I had a student nurse who came in often for a chat and to check my obs, her name escapes me though.
When I had a blocked Cannular, I had three nurses trying to put in a new one. They ended up getting a nurse from the children's ward who got it on her first turn.
Overall, I can not Fault my care in this hospital.
I do find that a lot of please and thank you and being polite goes a long way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: St John of God Hospital - Bunbury   St John of God Hospital - Bunbury Empty

Back to top Go down

St John of God Hospital - Bunbury
Page 1 of 1