J9
J9

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Ongoing shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ongoing shakes   Ongoing shakes EmptyTue 27 Mar 2012, 10:09 am

Hi
I've had this happen pre-sleeve and I think its just low blood sugar levels. I think Isis is right and you need to carry some healthy snacks around so that if you feel it coming on you're well prepared and can have a healthy fix rather than being caught out. I always used to carry a small bag of nuts in my bag. Funnily enough post sleeve this hasn't happened yet.
J9x
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

Ongoing shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ongoing shakes   Ongoing shakes EmptyTue 27 Mar 2012, 9:32 am

omg i could have written your post

i don't get the shakes too often (mostly when i haven't eaten enough protein over the day) but am the same as you, so scared that i continually eat to avoid them

when i get them (and occasionally they wake me out of a sleep) i have to eat RIGHT AWAY and i will stuff food into my mouth til i feel better (thank goodness this only happens very occasionally)

i would be interested in any other replies -

mel
Back to top Go down
ellbee

Male
Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-10-14

Ongoing shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ongoing shakes   Ongoing shakes EmptyTue 27 Mar 2012, 4:39 am

Thanks all for the responses. Isis what you have described is exactly where I am at , I sometimes eat just because I feel the "Shakes" may be coming on & I want to stop it in its tracks. I am glad to know I am not the only one going through this , I guess it is a small price to pay for the results we have achieved.

Thanks again.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

Ongoing shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ongoing shakes   Ongoing shakes EmptyMon 26 Mar 2012, 12:11 am

I know EXACTLY what you mean and gosh it can be awful! I get it quite commonly (always have, even pre-sleeve if I was hungry). Like you, I get a bit paranoid about it and carry around protein bars in my handbag so that I can quickly scoff one in the mall or wherever I happen to be when the shakes come on. Having that available also helps me avoid the 'must eat just in case I get the shakes' situation - I can go out confidently knowing I have something there in my handbag in a shake-emergency. I also find that if I haven't been eating properly at mealtimes and just snacking a lot etc, then I am more prone to it. I too wish there was something I could do to make it go away forever!
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

Ongoing shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ongoing shakes   Ongoing shakes EmptySun 25 Mar 2012, 11:36 pm

hi,

can you eat apples? i know that thye are full of natural sugars and can be a good pick me up. talking of apples I need to up the ante and gevt back into eating them.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Ongoing shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ongoing shakes   Ongoing shakes EmptySun 25 Mar 2012, 8:52 pm

Hi there

I DO get the shakes, sometimes so noticable other people see and comment on it.

But its not a food related issue for me (i think). I have plenty of sugar, etc. I can go for long periods without eating (not that that is a good idea anyway). I have low blood pressure and a slow heart rate amongst other things... and put my shakes down to that.

I was informed by our wonderful psychologist who was talking about regain around the 24 month mark, and eating every 2 to 2.5 hours is a good idea. So I dont think that's hurting you, depending on what you are chosing to eat!

So like the others have said, I think its a good idea to talk to your GP.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Ongoing shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ongoing shakes   Ongoing shakes EmptySun 25 Mar 2012, 8:44 pm

I am over 2 years out, and no I don't experience this.

I can go until lunchtime without eating.

I would be heading off to see your GP.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Ongoing shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ongoing shakes   Ongoing shakes EmptySun 25 Mar 2012, 8:40 pm

Have you talked to your surgeon or GP about this? Personally it would be something I would be checking out with them. There could be an underlying reason why this happens. Doesn't hurt to be on the safe side.

Kate
Back to top Go down
Jodizzle
Jodizzle

Female
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-01-27

Ongoing shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ongoing shakes   Ongoing shakes EmptySun 25 Mar 2012, 2:14 pm

Hi Laurie,

I'm not sleeved yet, but I sometimes get the shakes the way you have described. A banana or a boiled egg normally work for me ;)

All the best,

Jodie
Back to top Go down
ellbee

Male
Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-10-14

Ongoing shakes Empty
PostSubject: Ongoing shakes   Ongoing shakes EmptySun 25 Mar 2012, 1:50 pm

Hi all, It has been about 13 months since my sleeve and whilst I am very happy with the results & overall weight loss (45kgs) , I have gained a couple of kgs in the last few months. I am pretty sure the reason for this is having the shakes come on as soon as I get hungry , which seems to be every 2 hours. It is usually worse in the mornings. They can be quite bad at times hence when I feel myself getting hungry I am so paranoid that I eat something when I know deep down I dont really need to eat. I also realise there is a bit of "Head Hunger" going on here so any tips on how to overcome the HH mind set would be greatfully appreciated.

My other question is has anyone had this as an ongoing problem & how have you delt with it. I usually try to eat healthy snacks but with travel required in my job it is not always easy to stick to the regime. Also has anyone got any tips on small things you can eat that will help with the shakes (or more importantly preventing them) that are not going to cause weight gain.

Thanks Laurie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ongoing shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ongoing shakes   Ongoing shakes Empty

Back to top Go down

Ongoing shakes
Page 1 of 1