Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 12:01 pm

I get the shakes, not from lack of food, but lack of fluids.
My dietician told me that it's "not uncommon" and that I should always have a high protein snack and a bottle of water with me, depending on the cause (dehydration or erratic blood sugars) one of the two options should work.
I noticed at home that just drinking water stops my shakes.
Back to top Go down
ellbee

Male
Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-10-14

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 12:38 am

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have spoken to a few non sleevers and it appears this is not uncommon , my sister & a work colleuge both get the shakes & sweats in a very similar way. Interesting you say that about doing housework fatnomore as this is exactly what happened yesterday , I had breakfast went out for a while started the house cleaning when I got home & 1/2 hour later "boom" the shakes & sweats hit. Nice to know I am not alone with this "condition".
Cheers
Laurie
Back to top Go down

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" EmptySun 01 May 2011, 5:45 pm

Hi, Laurie.

Yes, I still get those if I do not make sure I have eaten for a stretch of time. Protein bars are stashed in my office and car for just that reason.

Zoe
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" EmptySun 01 May 2011, 2:41 pm

OMG Im so glad others have the same I have. I often get it in the mornings and if I have eaten but full on cleaning mode at home. Gosh it is such a horrible feeling isnt it..I hate it when it happens but glad Im not alone
Back to top Go down
Kati
Sponsor
Kati

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-03

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" EmptySun 01 May 2011, 2:20 pm

Hey yeah, I get this too! I get shaky, a bit lightheaded and my arms and legs feel really heavy.
If it is really bad I break out in a sweat and can't think straight, and I feel the need to eat something immediately, anything will do.
My dietician thought it sounded like mild hypoglycaemia, and so I too keep a protein bar on hand. (I do not have diabetes or abnormal blood sugar)

Interesting...
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" EmptySun 01 May 2011, 12:40 pm

Yep happens to me too, just like the post op gotta eat right now shakes!

I keep a muslie bar in my bag, or a cheese and cracker dip thing. I eat and feel better fairly soon!
Back to top Go down
ellbee

Male

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" EmptySun 01 May 2011, 10:00 am

Thanks Isis , yes that sounds very similar to what i am experiencing.
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" EmptySun 01 May 2011, 9:32 am

This still happens to me every now and again, and not always when I'm truly hungry. It happened a few times when I was travelling because I hadn't eaten enough and a protein bar usually fixed it nice and quickly (although like you I can feel a bit off for quite a while afterwards). Other times it is low blood sugar for no apparent reason and this can happen not long after meals or just randomly. This has always been a problem for me, but some sugar makes me feel better - the trick here is not to have too much, cos when you are feeling like that and your body is killing for some sugar it's easy to keep going until you feel relief, rather than just having enough to work in 10 mins time.

And no i have never had diabetes, I was frequently tested pre-surgery but not the problem :)
Back to top Go down
ellbee

Male

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" EmptySun 01 May 2011, 9:12 am

Thanks Janette , the only difference I have to you is I dont have any protein most mornings , just fruit , cereal & a coffee and until these two episodes it has not been an issue. Could this be an indication of low iron levels?
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" EmptySun 01 May 2011, 8:54 am

This happens to me when I have gone too long without having any protein, ie 5 hours+

I try and eat something protein based around every 3 hours, as I am never hungry.
Back to top Go down
ellbee

Male

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" EmptySun 01 May 2011, 8:08 am

Hi All, I have had a bit of a strange one this week , twice now what I would call the "hungry shakes" have come on very rapidly. By the hungry shakes I mean the type of shakes I & I expect many others got pre surgery when you were mega hungry & your blood sugar levels were low etc. The one this morning also came with the sweats a bit & even now still feel a bit shaky even though I am not hungry. I am 4 months post op am eating normally , weight loss going well & both times it has happened I had my normal breakfast etc. Prior to these two "episodes" the shakes had dissapeared post op. I am a bit of a grazer but previously if i had not eaten I certianly got hungry but didnt get the shakes. The question is has this happened to anyone else & if so what was the cause & remedy (if any).
Thanks
Laurie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The "Shakes" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Shakes"   The "Shakes" Empty

Back to top Go down

The "Shakes"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: