Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Catapult

Female
Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-11-11

What happens need band removed Empty
PostSubject: Re: What happens need band removed   What happens need band removed EmptyMon 27 Feb 2012, 7:54 am

I'm in Adelaide and my surgeon charges $3,500 for removal of band + sleeve 6 months later. $6k for plain removal of band seems excessive.

Cat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What happens need band removed   What happens need band removed EmptySat 18 Feb 2012, 4:37 am

My banding doc removed my band in November and he bulk billed the removal but the gas man charged me nearly a grand out of pocket... like someone said, shop around maybe if they know you will be getting the sleeve done with them they may bulk bill your removal or do your sleeve at a reduced rate.

Although I would imagine removing someone elses work and not knowing what problems you may have to fix would not fall into the bulk bill basket
Back to top Go down
lisabell

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Re: What happens need band removed   What happens need band removed EmptySat 18 Feb 2012, 4:19 am

Hi Dimpleshay,

I too had my band removed from a different doctor to the one who banded me.

I was charged $1000 for the removal as the new doctor was also going to sleeve me three months later (March 5th, can't wait)

It is costing me $2100 for the sleeve as he reduced the removal from his normal fee so I'm very pleased.

I agree you need to shop around and this site is great for reviews on other doctors. use the Search function and type in the different names/state and call around.

Are you thinking of rebanding or sleeving? perhaps you can negotiate the price if they will be doing the next op also?

All the best, Lisa
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture
Val 007

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: What happens need band removed   What happens need band removed EmptySat 18 Feb 2012, 3:10 am

OMG thats a lot of money to have the band removed.

I dont know where you live, I live on the Gold Coast. My Surgeon is Justin Greenslade, that practices his Surgery from Greenslopes Private Hospital, Greenslopes (Brisbane area).

Justin Banded me 2010 and his charges were about $3500 and gas man $450, and removal bulk billed and only paid for the gas man.

Before I went to him I did heaps of research and he is the cheaper of the Surgeons here in the Brisbane area. He is a brilliant Surgeon and has a good write up on this site He also practices at QE11, which is a public hospital and I guess that would be your cheaper option.

Please give his office a ring and speak to Brenda his Receptionist, who will be able to tell you all the prices, and the options that you have available. He office number is 07 33240015. Are you considering the sleeve? Maybe he will do a deal for you?

If you want any further info PM me.

Best of Luck

Suzy Blue (Awaiting Sleeve Surgery 20th March 2012)
Back to top Go down
Donna_2712
Donna_2712

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-10-10

PostSubject: Re: What happens need band removed   What happens need band removed EmptySat 18 Feb 2012, 1:10 am

hi dimpleshay
i had my band removed October 2011, it cost me $4000 for the doctor & $1000 for the anesthetist, plus my $200 hospital excess, I got back around $2500 approx from medicare & private health fund.
I have now had the sleeve op on 24/01/12. yippee!!
I would call around to other surgeons who provide this service and see what their fees are, check with your health care fund if you have one, they may have a list of what they might call 'preferred providers' it's worth a call.
If you lodge a tax return or your partner does one of you may be entitled to a medical offset this is for when medical expenses exceed $2000, see the ato.gov.au web site for more info
Hope this has helped!
Back to top Go down
dimpleshay
dimpleshay

Female
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-07-27

PostSubject: What happens need band removed   What happens need band removed EmptyThu 16 Feb 2012, 10:12 pm

Hi

I was banded on the 9th January 2009. My highest weight was 154.2kg. I lost nearly 50kgs but then things started to go wrong i was under a lot of stress and i gained some weight back. I am currently 123.5 so still 30 kgs down. My problem i have a strenghed pouch and the doctor i saw says i need the band removed. I am okay with that as i am over throwing up all the time (even 4 hours after i have eaten). My problem is the sergeon that did my band is no longer practising due to stress is all we have been told. So i had to go to new doc so now i have to pay the full price to have band removed. I really can't afford it. The new dr has quoted me $6000 to have the band removed plus i have to pay the anthesist. I will get $2000 back from health fund but i still have to find $4000. When i had the band done i was told any future serguries would be covered but since my old doc is not working anymore it seems they are not. Can anyone tell me a way i can get cheaper surgery.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What happens need band removed   What happens need band removed Empty

Back to top Go down

What happens need band removed
Page 1 of 1