AuthorMessage
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Anyone had a very old band removed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptyFri 29 Aug 2014, 11:51 am

minniemouse wrote:
I'm going to be sleeved by him in December and I'm obviously nervous but excited. I have chosen sleeve over bypass, as I've witnessed over the years that people who have been bypassed have a strange smell. It seems that as there is little stomach, if they eat food with garlic/onions or anything strong like that,the food smell comes out through their pores and they are a little smelly. That makes me very hesitant about bypass as an option. It just one of the side effects and may not be the same for everyone but the 4 people I know personally all say the smell of their skin bothers them immensely and they would have preferred to have been sleeved. Small sample size of people of course, but I just wanted to let you know what I had heard.
All the best with your choice....

I know this is an old post but it's the first time I have seen it and I almost fell off my chair laughing so hard!!!!  This is the first (and probably last time) I have ever heard about bypass patients having an odour LOL!  I eat onions and garlic all the time and believe me, I'm a tad particular about smells and hygiene and know nothing seeps through my pores giving me an odd smell or I am sure someone very close would of told me by now since it's been a few years.  I've also met the lovely Suzie77 and she definitely smells lovely - but I only gave her a hug in greeting and leaving :-)

Gosh, thanks for the laugh - I'm going to have to show this to some of other WLS friends so they too can have a giggle - plus assure them they also smell great even after they have eaten my overdosed onion and garlic bolognaise - gotta ward off those germs so I always add 2-3 heaps tbs of it :-)
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptySun 11 Aug 2013, 2:05 am

Omg I've never heard that about people who are bypassed smell! I too was bypassed after having had a disastrous sleeve so wasn't my choice but I know I don't smell! And Glenmaree and I would tell each other if we did!!

Sorry I found that really shocking...!!

I agree with Glenmaree that you must make your own choice. I still believe the sleeve is an excellent surgery and I've met many success stories. Since the bypass I believe that has been better for me and despite the complications it's brought me I don't feel it's as drastically different from the sleeve as I thought.

All the best for your decision

Suzy
Xxx
Back to top Go down
eels

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptySat 10 Aug 2013, 12:53 pm

Well i went in in July to get the band removed and surprise surprise, they couldn't find it. Dr Greenslade called it a Claytons band lol. Anyway, he had a lot of work to do anyway, separating my stomach from my liver as it was all gummed together. 2 weeks later i had an endoscopy and there was the little sucker. Over the years it has worked it's way through to the inside of my stomach (all nicely healed over on the outside}. He showed me photos of it inside my stomach with tube tissue through the middle of it. On September 17th Dr Greenslade said he can make an incision in the bottom of my stomach, pull the band out, stitch it up then do the sleeve. I ended up deciding on the sleeve first then Dr Greenslade said if my loss isn't good enough i can get the bypass after. Happy i can go ahead. I have been feeling nervous after the death of the lady in Melbourne last week, but I have done a lot of research and need to do this. Thanks for all your replies. xxx
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptyWed 07 Aug 2013, 11:33 am

Hi

First of i am bypassed and no one has said I have an odour and I certainly can't smell anything.

All surgeries carry risks and bariatric surgery is right at the top of the list.  People die from complications so factor that thought into your decision.  Band to sleeve people report a much slower weight loss than virgin sleevers. Some surgeons refuse to sleeve after band removal because of scar tissue and a higher risk of leaks.

You have to be guided by your own research and health professional opinions.  No one on this forum should be advocating for any particular surgery type. Everyone's experience is different.  Read some of the complications thread, be informed, do your research, ask lots of questions and don't be influenced by the opinions of forum members

Good luck with the decision making
G
Back to top Go down
Deblee

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Hi Minniemouse    Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptyTue 06 Aug 2013, 11:34 am

Good to hear from you ... Happy for you that your removal went extremely well . I only know personally 1 friend that has gone through a bypass , I have never noticed any smell but Ill be asking her questions now :)  ..... I have spoken to Dr Vytauras Kuzinkovas about my removal and options , I found to also be the best Doctor I've seen over the 10 years .... After my appoint. I actually sat in my car and cried " finally someone was listening and was going to help ! I go back to see him in October - my band will come out in January ( due to health fund ) ... So far my mind is set on having the bypass .. You must be so excited but I certainly understand your nervousness . I wish you well - you'll be fine girl - your already come this far Anyone had a very old band removed? 446871 
minniemouse wrote:
Hi Deblee,
I just had my band removed 4 weeks ago after 11 years! I had an absolutely brilliant surgeon here in Sydney named Dr Steven Leibman, who works out of Royal North Shore Private (an exceptional hospital too) Dr Leibman and his team are incredible - I've had many surgeries for previous issues with many doctors over the years and I think by far Dr Leibman is the best I've ever dealt with, from pre surgery to post. I have had no side effects from having the band removed, the recovery was as expected in terms of pain (of course it hurts at the wound site, how can it not?) but I was able to eat immediately after the surgery with no problems whatsoever! I'm absolutely thrilled! And it seems as many sleeved people concur, its all about your surgeon!
I'm going to be sleeved by him in December and I'm obviously nervous but excited. I have chosen sleeve over bypass, as I've witnessed over the years that people who have been bypassed have a strange smell. It seems that as there is little stomach, if they eat food with garlic/onions or anything strong like that,the food smell comes out through their pores and they are a little smelly. That makes me very hesitant about bypass as an option. It just one of the side effects and may not be the same for everyone but the 4 people I know personally all say the smell of their skin bothers them immensely and they would have preferred to have been sleeved. Small sample size of people of course, but I just wanted to let you know what I had heard.
Back to top Go down
minniemouse

Female
Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2013-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptyWed 24 Jul 2013, 12:09 am

Hi Deblee,
I just had my band removed 4 weeks ago after 11 years! I had an absolutely brilliant surgeon here in Sydney named Dr Steven Leibman, who works out of Royal North Shore Private (an exceptional hospital too) Dr Leibman and his team are incredible - I've had many surgeries for previous issues with many doctors over the years and I think by far Dr Leibman is the best I've ever dealt with, from pre surgery to post. I have had no side effects from having the band removed, the recovery was as expected in terms of pain (of course it hurts at the wound site, how can it not?) but I was able to eat immediately after the surgery with no problems whatsoever! I'm absolutely thrilled! And it seems as many sleeved people concur, its all about your surgeon!
Back to top Go down
Deblee

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptyMon 13 May 2013, 8:03 am

Hi I've been researching the pros & cons for few months now . I am looking at the bypass as it is a quicker weight loss ( from what I've read ) than the sleeve , especially since its slower to loose weight if your having revisional surgery ( will be having my band removed ) . It also has a better success rate in keeping the weight off - I'm also a sweet eater so bypass is also better than sleeve as I need that restriction on myself . Yes with bypass I will need to take probably iron and vitamins tablets rest of my life , but after what I've been through over the 10 years with this band I prob. Should of been taking them already . This is only my view after all I've read anyway - I wish you all the best in your search :)
Back to top Go down
eels

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptyMon 13 May 2013, 7:30 am

thanks for that, i was thinking about getting sleeved. Do you think the bypass maybe better. very confused Anyone had a very old band removed? 697586
Back to top Go down
Deblee

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptyMon 13 May 2013, 6:14 am

Hi Eels I am only new to this site after getting information about it from my recent visit to my Doctor . I came across your question about removal of an old band , I have had my lapband now for 10 years and am looking into having it removed and having gastric bypass instead - so over this band . Anyhow my doc said he would remove by band by keyhole surgery . Hope this helps . Good luck with your journey

Regards Deblee
Back to top Go down
tashoz

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptyMon 15 Apr 2013, 10:25 am

I had my band removed last week after 5 years. My band had slipped. Hospital stay was 1 night and I'm now 1 week on soft foods. I am hoping to he sleeved in a few months.

Finch68. Is it rude to ask what problems you had going from band to sleeve? I'm concerned about complications. Thanks. Take care. :)
Back to top Go down
Chantilly

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptyMon 15 Apr 2013, 4:23 am

OH WOW! Interested to know why you are getting it removed?
Back to top Go down
finch68

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptySun 14 Apr 2013, 6:39 pm

I had a band removed that was approx 10 years old. I had no problems post-op was only in hospital for 1 night, it was done laprascopically, then could eat almost anything again within a week, unfortunately I also gained weight, I had the sleeve done 7 weeks ago and have lost 30 kg's, but be aware there are a greater risk of complications with a sleeve after a band, I had problems and still battling but am getting healthier and better every day. Good luck
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2013, 11:29 am

Wow I had no idea they were doing the band 26 years ago.
Mine was only 5 years old when I had it removed.
All the best and let us know how you went.
Back to top Go down
eels

Female

PostSubject: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? EmptyThu 11 Apr 2013, 12:44 pm

hi there
I am booked in to get my 26 year old band removed on July 8.
When i got it in i was cut from my breastbone to bellybutton.
I am really hoping he can do keyhole but not sure because of such an old band and all the scar tissue that i will have.
i see the dr in May,and feeling a bit nervous. hopefully about 3 months after i will be sleeved.

Has anyone else had an old band removed, was it done keyhole, hospitalstay, pain ect.
any info would be great

thanks Eels xxx Anyone had a very old band removed? 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a very old band removed?   Anyone had a very old band removed? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone had a very old band removed?
Page 1 of 1