8 posters
AuthorMessage
JAM
JAM

Female
Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-09-06

Newbie from Brisbane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane EmptyMon 19 Sep 2011, 12:45 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for the very warm welcome. Have been trying to NOT obesse over this since I still have a bit of time up my sleeve, sorry no pun intended! But have really enjoyed reading and watching some of the journeys many of you have had. Even tried to actually catch a you tube video of the actual procedure...hmm that lasted about 60seconds - figured Im asleep do I really need to see that side of things..NO - told hubby to watch it instead.

Newbie from Brisbane 50622

My sister is here at the moment (from NZ) and she is bigger than me but is way too scared to have the procedure done but has been very interested in how it all works and what happens, so she has been reading a few stories on here also and said even the negatives are turned to positives on this site and I have to agree as Im yet to find a negative that wasnt resolved.

OMG Lib your photo journey is just amazing! and love the fact that you even have your #1 supports included! Im very lucky to also have exceptional support especially from my hubby and 2 daughters and of course my beautiful sister.

Anyway just wanted to say thank you.

Jane
Back to top Go down
http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane EmptySat 17 Sep 2011, 12:44 pm

Welcome I am from the southside too, there is becoming quite a lot of us! I have a workmate being done by Justin in a couple of weeks! Getting done at QE2 is awesome! Any money saved is fantastic because trust me you need it when your clothes start falling off!!
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: costs   Newbie from Brisbane EmptySat 17 Sep 2011, 10:38 am

Hi

I am having surgery next week at Pindarra Private hospital on the Gold Coast. My out of pockets expenses were just under $4000 and I accessed my superannuation to pay. It took about six weeks to organise and wasn't difficult.

Glenmaree
Back to top Go down
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane EmptyMon 12 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

I'm hearing you on the needle front! Totally gross out, and especially the thought of that 'bit' sitting just under your skin. EWWWW!!

Great to hear you are informed and well researched on the sleeve. The one thing I love most of all about the sleeve is just how easily it has fit in to my life. I can still go out and enjoy a meal with friends who barely notice now that I only ever eat small portions. Life is grand - and I hope things work out well for you too.
Back to top Go down
JAM
JAM

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane EmptyMon 12 Sep 2011, 2:22 am

Hi Cartay

Absolutely no way do I think you are being negative! Your comments are brilliant, very logical and reassuring.

What I meant about cheating is more around the fact of not maintaining my band, knowing myself and the fact of having to have it adjusted it just wouldn’t happen with the exception of requesting it to be loosen and then I just wouldn’t go back – it’s the whole needle thing! Interesting I had done a ton of research about the band but it never factored into my thinking of just HOW they adjust the band until the evening of the seminar. Where according to my hubby I went very pale at the sight of the needle, he was a little worried I was going to faint.

Newbie from Brisbane 135961
Back to top Go down
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane EmptyFri 09 Sep 2011, 2:48 pm

Hi Jane and welcome to the forum ... I'm sure you'll find a whole bunch of support, information and inspiration right here.

While I'm totally appreciative of your decision to steer clear of a band (obviously that was the same decision I made for myself), I did wonder about the comment you made about not being disciplined enough not to cheat (in relation to the band). I'm just hoping that you understand that 'cheating' is just as easy with a sleeve as with any other weight loss method - the sleeve, as with a band, requires discipline and commitment to ensure the healthiest possible outcome in both the short and long term. In fact sometimes I wonder if more discipline isn't required, certainly in the longer term, as our tummy's adjust and our portion sizes eventually increase again (of course nothing compared to pre-surgery, in my experience). I'm sure you've heard it all before, but the sleeve is really only a tool - there are plenty of people on here who haven't reached their desired goals without a heck of a big effort and discipline. I for one have to be very mindful of what I eat and how much I'm excercising, and the scales (and my clothes!) tell me when I'm doing too much of one and not enough of the other.

Please don't think I'm being negative or in any way trying to deter you from what can obviously be a wonderful tool to a healthier life. I'm just offering an honest perspective of my own personal experiences. I'm sure if you go forth on your journey with your obvious commitment and determination you will gain the results you are hoping for. I wish you all the very best on your continued journey.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane EmptyFri 09 Sep 2011, 10:53 am

Hi Jane & welcome to the forum.. Good luck with your journey I look forward to reading all about it :)
Back to top Go down
mumof4
mumof4

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm

welcome Jane I am on the north side of Brisbane, I was also sleeved by Justin greenslade. I self funded and didn't even know there was an option to go public, oh well it was worth every cent. you will be so happy with the results.

Good luck in your journey. if u have any questions we are happy to answer any.

nicki xoxox Newbie from Brisbane 217555
Back to top Go down
debbles49
debbles49

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 9:48 pm

Jam, Welcome! I to am on the southside of Brisbane. I wasnt even considering surgery but went to the seminar with Dr Layani with my sister who was interested in the banding - I came away with having made appts for the doctor, the dietician, and psych to have the sleeve done (sister didnt do anything). I sometimes wish I had looked for doctors close to home but I think if I did I would not have had it done. It is the very best thing I have done for myself! I think differently about everything - food, exercise and me!

January will come around fast enough and you will have the very best new year starts! Great going!
Back to top Go down
JAM
JAM

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

Thanks Sarah

The reason I have to wait until Jan 2012 is that is the first available appt whereas if I had gone completely private Dr G cld have done it begining of Oct
Back to top Go down
cyclonestorm
cyclonestorm

Female
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 1:31 pm

Hi Jane & welcome. Your story is very interesting. Why did waiting till next year make a difference? Is this just a new practice in QLD? I am a self funder to & any advice would be greatly appreciated as both myself & hubby are getting it done.

Cheers
Sarah
Back to top Go down
JAM
JAM

Female

PostSubject: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 1:18 pm

Hi Folks

My name is Jane and I’m from Brisbane (southside) on the 8th Aug went to my GP and said “what do you reckon about Lap-Banding? His reply ...”Jane do you have a surgeon in mine?” When I said no he then went onto a website that provided a number of surgeons. Ian (GP) then noticed a free seminar at John Flynn PH on the Gold Coast and asked did I want to go. Basically its been a bit of a roller coaster ride since.

Attended seminar: came away knowing no way in hell I was having a lap band – major issue with needles (I’m a big girls blouse!!) also knew I’m not disciplined enough to not cheat it, that’s one of the reasons I’m 136kgs.

Scheduled appointment for one on one consultation with Dr Layani to have the sleeve – for 8 Sep. 11 yeah today.

Only concern was the fact that it was a hike to the hospital and wondered if I could find a surgeon closer to home. It was actually one of my stalking evenings on this forum that I found Dr Justin Greenslade. Who I organised an appointment with also for today. However when Brenda (practice manager for JG) realised I was self funding she immediately said can you wait until Jan 2012??? When I questioned this she said because he will do it at QEII and it will be half the cost!!! Of course I can wait!

So meet both Brenda & Justin today and came away with confirmed booking for 25 Jan 2011 – oh and my box of optifast all in preparation. So now the emotions are all over the place and its still 5mths away! But thats ok because I have a very busy time over the next few months and what better way to start a New Year!!

Just had a thought ....Im going to be pretty confident when I make that proverbial resolution that Im going to lose weight and keep it off – wow don’t recall ever being confident with that one lol..sorry I do tend to rabbit on!Newbie from Brisbane 32773

Cheers

Jane

Newbie from Brisbane 355206
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from Brisbane Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Brisbane
Page 1 of 1