AuthorMessage
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named   Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named EmptyThu 11 Aug 2011, 11:00 am

Also, stomach stapling was horizontal, leaving a complete stomach which was merely divided in two by staples. The gastric sleeve is vertical, and only retains the strongest part of the stomach in a tube shape.

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
LISSYD
Part of the furniture
LISSYD

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2011-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named   Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named EmptyThu 11 Aug 2011, 7:23 am

Yhanks ladies for clearing that one up for me..feel alot better now lol
Back to top Go down
janelou29
Part of the furniture
janelou29

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named   Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named EmptyThu 11 Aug 2011, 2:36 am

Yeh, Caz is right.

I found a great website with pictures, I'll see if I can find the link;

http://ozobesitysurgery-info.webstarts.com/my_surgery.html

Found it!

Great diagram of the old op, and here is a link to what I have had done (the standard today)

http://www.gastricbypasssanfrancisco.com/vertical-gastrectomy-sleeve-san-francisco-ca.htm

the staples THEN were used to divide the tummy, and over time they broke down and caused all sorts of issues.

Today, the staples is only used a a wound closure device, IE, they could stitch it closed but staples are more effective. When you have healed you have 100% intact tummy, that once healed will not come apart, like if you have your appendix out, they often staple your skin on the outside, once it is healed all that is left is a scar, but your skin will not open up again. The staples are designed to close off the tummy for 7-10 days, then your body healing does the rest.

the current op, has been used on stomach cancer patients effectively for years. Once you have healed, you have healed (unless of course, you get some other issue in your tummy, (like cancer etc)

Its' very safe, easy, and low risk these days.

I am a nurse and researched for 18month before i did it and I would not have done it if it was too risky.

Janelou

Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named   Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named EmptyThu 11 Aug 2011, 1:40 am

Absolutely not!

Stomach stapling from what I understand of it was exactly that - they stapled your stomach. I don't think it is done any more.

The sleeve actually removes part of your stomach.

Suggest you research Dr. Google to find out more.
Back to top Go down
LISSYD
Part of the furniture
LISSYD

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2011-07-23

PostSubject: Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named   Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named EmptyThu 11 Aug 2011, 1:31 am

Hi,does anyone know if the sleeve is the new name for the stomach stappling as my Aunty had stomach stappling 20 odd yrs ago and then again 3 yrs ago and both have failed..so are they both the same and the stappling is just in fashion again and re-named sleeve ?? any info would be great...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named   Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named Empty

Back to top Go down

Is the sleeve the same as the old stomach stappling..just re-named
Page 1 of 1