Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?

Go down 
+9
mumof4
PocketRocket
chrisbychic
lilac
Heidi
Kylie
Frizzante
D'Girlz
Bezza
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 7:55 am

I am heading up to 2 years with my sleeve, and I am never hungry!
I hope it stays like that.

Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 6:05 am

I am seven months out today; boy has time flown by

B: Porridge sachet, 2 teaspoons Benefibre & a third cup of low fat milk
MT: Either a piece of Fruit; Few almonds or a cuppa soup
L: 2 Scrambled eggs or 1 Scrambled egg & 1/2 small tin baked beans or 1 Cruskit with slivers of ham & tomato
AT: Either Small protien Bar or tin of rice cream
D: Very tiny steak (approx 5 small pieces) & Vegies; Cassarole (appox 1/2 to 3/4 cup); or 1/2 to 3/4 cup spaghetti bog, mostly mince
S: Smooze or 4 Prunes and 1/2 tin of rice cream (not twice in a day though)
Plus another 1/3 cup LF milk in coffee, 600 mls water/cordial, 1 water based hot chocolate; and sometimes a standard glass of wine, though rarely now.
I do as my dietican has said and not go more than three/four hours without eating; though lately I sneak in a piece of chocoolate or two. I must add I am still not ever hungry, though am told this will happen eventually.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Part of the furniture
Heidi

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2010-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyWed 07 Sep 2011, 2:06 pm

Also meant to say that from my observations - there's no such thing as "normal" when it comes to the quantity of food people are able to consume.

I guess it all comes down to the individual, what they are eating, how they eat, when they eat, their metabolism, internal anatomy etc etc...

After obsessing about it for a while, i'm just going with the flow and being sensible. I agree with Bezza's advice about not eating until you're too full...

Try not to worry what others are able to consume (or not consume).
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Part of the furniture
Heidi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyWed 07 Sep 2011, 2:02 pm

Awesome work Janette - yep nothing wrong with your sleeve or appetite.

I'm 9 months out and slowly building my diet up - I find the weeks I am better prepared and eat more are the ones I tend to lose more weight!

Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyMon 05 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm

mumof4 wrote:
god janette honestly that would take me 3 days to eat that! how will I get to that point of eating?

LOL I have been eating like that since about 3 months post op.
Really didn't think it was alot!

I read about sleevers only eating 3 teaspoons and this and that.
I was eating 100 ml tub of yoghurt before I left hospital with no probs.

I am really happy with the size of my sleeve.
Its working beautifully.

Back to top Go down
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyMon 05 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

Hi mumof4,

Your surgeon sounds very switched on. Don't worry that he wrote 'anorexia' - this term simply means 'lack or loss of appetite for food'. That is exactly what you are experiencing (and what we have all aimed for by means of the sleeve, but to a lesser degree than you are suffering). The other term is anorexia nervosa, which refers to the eating disorder.

It is commendable that your doctor is so thorough, and taking your situation seriously. From a fellow January Sleever: I hope everything goes really well.

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
muffincatt
muffincatt

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyMon 05 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

Wow Janette,

That would also take me days to eat, I am 10 months out and I could only eat a 1/3 of that for the whole day.

Maybe my new tummy is super small.

This is what I have eaten today and I struggled with that.

Breakfast = 2 cups of black coffee - I am not a breakfast person

mid morning 2 vita weats 1 slice of cheese 1/2 on each bisquit

lunch 2 vita weats 1 slice of cheese shared between 2 bisquits

mid afternoon 1/2 cup of special k and milk

dinner 1/4 probably about 70gram piece of steak with mushroom sauce and the dog & cat got a piece each of my 1/4 as well

1 tiny potatoe with a dob of butter

and 4 glasses of water 1 can of diet coke

and couldnt possibly fit another thing in

So having said all that I hope I am eating enough.

Muffincatt
Back to top Go down
mumof4
mumof4

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyMon 05 Sep 2011, 10:47 am

god janette honestly that would take me 3 days to eat that! how will I get to that point of eating?
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyMon 05 Sep 2011, 9:36 am

I found this in the fourm, posted when I was 6 months post op..............

B: 2 weetbix and 200 mls skim milk
MT1: Forme yoghurt
MT2: 4 watercrackers and 1 slice free cheese
Late Lunch: 4 x 9 grain vitaweats topped with half tin tuna mixed with cottage cheese
AT: Biggest Loser snack bar
D: 125 gms Steak and vegies
S: 3 dried apricots and 8 almonds
Plus another 250 mls skimmed milk in cups of tea

Back to top Go down
Bezza
Bezza

Male
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyMon 05 Sep 2011, 6:02 am

mumof4 wrote:
I just had my surgeon appointment, he wants me to go and have the dye xray to see if my sleeve has narrowed somewhere or my only eating about 50-100g per meal 3 times a day is in my head. I never feel hungry and the thought of food makes me feel sick. I have lost 12 kilos since my last check up 3 months ago.

I was a little taken back when I read on the forms signs of anorexia?..

can anyone tell me what they eat 7 months out?

thanks Nicki

I do get hungry and wish i didn't :) but them's the breaks some people loose all hunger, some get an abatement for a time and some dont see much change in actual "feelings of hunger" most report being able to satiate it easily. I found my hunger disappeared after surgery then has gradually returned and settled in to stay. I do find it more manageable than at pre-op levels but that said i still crave naughty things and have to exercise a level of self discipline.

A typical day follows like this;

6:30am Breakfast 1/2 cup of Serial -or- 1/2 a shortcut bacon rasher in 1/2 slice toast with a poached egg.
9:30 to 10:30am - 2 x Carmen's Muesli bites, I usually have one at 9:30 then try to have the second at 10:30. These are small little individualy packed muesli treats they are all of 20grams.
12:00 Lunch 1/2 tin (about 260grams) of Heinz Chunky soup, (or some similar home made stew/curry/soup.)
3:00pm 1 x LeRice (150grams) -or- 1/2 an apple or other fresh fruit
5:00pm to 6:00pm Dinner - this varies hugely but is usually about 250 to 300grams of a high protein meal.
8:00 to 9:00pm Another 1/2 piece of fruit or another Muesli Bite, usually something very small.

Intermingled with this I drink between 2 to 4 cups of coffee probly about 1200ml per day plus about 500ml of water/sugar free drink.

hope that helps :)

Cheers

Bezza
Back to top Go down
mumof4
mumof4

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyMon 05 Sep 2011, 5:38 am

I just had my surgeon appointment, he wants me to go and have the dye xray to see if my sleeve has narrowed somewhere or my only eating about 50-100g per meal 3 times a day is in my head. I never feel hungry and the thought of food makes me feel sick. I have lost 12 kilos since my last check up 3 months ago.

I was a little taken back when I read on the forms signs of anorexia?..

can anyone tell me what they eat 7 months out?

thanks Nicki
Back to top Go down
Bezza
Bezza

Male

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyThu 26 May 2011, 9:27 am

Yea. i will buy some and see if i like it. I don't really know yet if i do. I have however taken to adding a couple of teaspoons of protein powder to my afternoon yoghurt, and the last three days i have swapped out my morning cereal for a poached egg on half a slice of whole grain toast. I do the shopping on Saturday morning so will get some cottage cheese and see what i think of it :)
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyTue 24 May 2011, 11:24 am

Well Bezza you've lost heaps of weight so you must be doing something right! I agree about preferring solid food - I'm also like that. There's as much protein in a small tin of tuna or small tub of cottage cheese as in a shake, so I'd be having that with crisp breads. Much yummier too ;)

Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
Bezza
Bezza

Male

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyTue 24 May 2011, 9:38 am

PocketRocket & Aquarius, thanks both of you :) one for providing helpful info and the other for watching my back. Anyways, i have some protein powder, i just haven't been using it, probably because i still tend to think in terms of solid foods when i think about satiating my hunger, the the mini shake sounds like a great idea so i shall try it out and see how it go.

Thanks again!

Bezza

Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? 217555
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyTue 24 May 2011, 8:37 am

Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? 32773 Pocket Rocket

I'm such a cynic! Thanks for all that info though as the powder does sound good.

Hugs,

Aquarius
Back to top Go down
PocketRocket

Male
Number of posts : 86

PostSubject: Hi Aquarius - definitely a genuine poster and had my sleeve done 8 months ago   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyMon 23 May 2011, 10:43 am

Hello Aquarius

Thanks for your note and yes it's a genuine post.

I had my sleeve done with Dr Craig Taylor at the OClinic in Sydney approximately 8 months ago and it's been an amazing journey for me. I don't post that often, but if you do a search for me, you will see about 40 posts on a range of subjects and definitely have no affilation with any companies or looking to sell anything.

Just trying to pass on information that has been so helpful to me during this incredible journey.

Will be attending the next Sydney meet on the 18th of June, if you are around

Speak soon

PocketRocket :-)
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyMon 23 May 2011, 10:30 am

'Pocket rocket'

I hope this is a genuine post and not one of those 'sellers' that we occasionally find on this website!!!

I'd be very dubious...
Back to top Go down
PocketRocket

Male
Number of posts : 86

PostSubject: Protein powder I would recommend and useful tips for not eating at night   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyMon 23 May 2011, 10:18 am

Hello Bezza

Have you thought about using a protein powder to help you increase your protein levels? My nutritionist recommended
it to me and I have had such positive results from using it, and it helps keeps hunger at bay. In addition to this, my
psychologist also recommended the following steps to see if you are really hungry or if it’s ‘head hunger’:

Here is an example for you...... after a few months I was starting to feel a bit hungry later on in the evening as I normally have my evening meal at
6ish. Last night (about 10pm) I felt hungry again, so I then follow this tip and this works great for me.

1) First of all have a drink and wait for 10 mins to see if I am really hungry or it's 'head hunger'

2) Still feel hungry after 10 mins, then I will make a protein mini shake with water and a couple of crushed ice cubes.

I used to (pre-sleeve) comfort eat later on in the evening), and after having a small protein drink I now feel satisfied and do not need any food.

Here are the details of the protein powder mix I use. It is originally designed for bodybuilders and it was recommended by my nutritionist. It has the
following stats:

35gram scoop
=120 Cal
=20 grams protein
=4 grams carbs

It has worked wonders for me, and here are the details for you to do some research.
Manufacturer = BNRG
Website and link to item = http://store.bnrg.com/p-225-proto-whey-5lb-vanilla-creme.aspx

I love the taste of the vanilla creme and have it in the morning with fresh fruits, cashew, Brazil and Walnuts and it makes a super smoothie to start my
day. One of the other benefits for me is that it tastes sweet, so if I feel a bit hungry, I normally have a small scoop and I feel satisfied.

I bought it from this shop and they have many different outlets around Sydney, and the staff are really friendly and helpful when I asked some questions about
protein and my needs.
http://www.australiansportsnutrition.com.au/location_bondi.php

Hope this helps and let me know how you get on with it

PocketRocket
Back to top Go down
Bezza
Bezza

Male

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyMon 23 May 2011, 9:41 am

Hmmm, more protein, less carbs. I will see what i can come up with. Once again many thanks for the advice, it's muchly appreciated.

Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? 65317
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptySun 22 May 2011, 8:52 pm

Hi Bezza
Looks fairly good to me, too. If you up your protein and decrease the carbs though, that'd be good.
Funny how we all hear different things about fluid, isn't it?
I've been told that yes, caffeine drinks do count, and also no, that they don't.
Most recently I was told that they don't, but my acupuncturist/Qi Gong guy ... and he was very convincing as to why. Have to admit, too, that I do feel better for increasing my water intake (and if you count tea and coffee, I'd be way over the 2L a day before water!)
Good idea to touch base with the nutritionist - best way to check on your own stuff.
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptySun 22 May 2011, 12:38 pm

I think it's good that you eat a little food often throughout the day. That keeps your metabolism ticking over.

The only negative thing I can see is that you need more protein during the day - this would reduce your hunger in the evenings. For example, could you include a small tin of tuna on your cruskits or a small tub of cottage cheese?

Keep up the great work!
Back to top Go down
Bezza
Bezza

Male

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptySat 21 May 2011, 12:26 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I really needed to touch base and just get a comparison with others and make sure i wasn't obsessing to much hehe as i am want to do from time to time.

Heidi, except for the chupa chup which should be an occasional thing maybe once every week or two I would say your potions are good, as long as your eating till your satisfied, and not eating till your full. I have been told if you eat till your full your eating too much.

Kylie, i think you may be right about the protein, i find carbs way too tempting, my only redeeming factor there is i always pick low GI carbs, but still i think i need to up the protein a little.

Frizzante, I think you are right about the milk and thanks for the info :)

Cheers

Bezza
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Part of the furniture
Heidi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyFri 20 May 2011, 3:31 pm

Eeeek. I seem to be eating much more than you all and i'm 6 months out.

Here's a daily diet for me in pictures:
http://www.lessdangerouscurves.com/p/my-daily-menu.html

It equates to:

Breakfast
1 slice of toast with cheese and vegemite (I ate about 3/4)

Morning tea
1 bowl of Miso soup (the whole bowl)

Lunch
BLT sandwich (I ate roughly 1/4 and ended up throwing away the rest)

Afternoon tea
1 tub of yoghurt (the whole tub)

Extra snacks (3pm...)
1 chuppa chup and a few almonds

Dinner
1/2 a salmon fillet, a few green beans and some raddichio salad (I left about 1/4 of the meal on the plate)

I think I better book in some time with my nutritionist. I have been losing weight fairly slowly but steadily - in fact I find the weeks I eat more (like above) and don't skip meals, the better it is for me.

Is this too much though?
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Frizzante
Frizzante

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? EmptyFri 20 May 2011, 10:20 am

Perhaps because we are on the other side of the globe but here and nowadays diuretic drinks like coffee, tea, coke indeed count towards fluid intake. I just checked with a dietician to be 100 per cent sure. What I would recommend is to reduce milk (particularly if it is above 0.5 per cent fat) and to possibly change to decaf coffee. I also checked with the German Nutritional Society - they even say that the more regularly you consume tea/coffee the less the diuretic impact.

I envy you for doing the treadmill that early in the morning. Anyway, I cannot get up that early, but I will follow your example and have a 30 - 45 minutes walk during my lunch break from next week onwards.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Kossova?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?   Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much? Empty

Back to top Go down

Nearly 7 months since surgery, but am i eating too much?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next