Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

Time frame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time frame?   Time frame? EmptySun 08 May 2011, 5:17 am

I went to an info night by the surgeons I wanted to go with at the beginning of Feb. Got my referral from GP that week. Booked in to see surgeon mid Feb, had gastroscopy that afternoon (there was a last minute opening), had my blood tests done at same time, saw dietician and surgeon for second appointment next week. I could have had my sleeve op done in mid March, but was going away. So had mine performed on April 15th.

I didn't have an apra application though, and I had the right private health cover.

I think once you have decided, any wait is a long one. I don't know how people do it on here, where they have to wait for the 12 months for their PHI to kick in.... more power to them!
Back to top Go down
mumof4
mumof4

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-01-29

Time frame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time frame?   Time frame? EmptySun 08 May 2011, 4:51 am

I went to my doctor mid December, then went to the surgeon about a week after, got all the letters for apr a and had them handed in just before Christmas. there was a surgery date on the 10th January but I knew apra would take longer. I was booked in for 31/1/11, I just got my release of superannuation in time.
It was stressful month but at the time it felt like 6 months. I haven't looked back since. I LOVE MY SLEEVE,!
Back to top Go down
sassysmum
Part of the furniture
sassysmum

Female
Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-04-11

Time frame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time frame?   Time frame? EmptySun 08 May 2011, 3:35 am

Hi Stretch,
I first went and had a chat to my GP last August (2010) and got a referral for a surgeon with the intention of seeking a journey with a band. After a long and exhaustive conversation with him in which he told me about the other options and made the comment that he thought my lifestyle and work practices made a band a non-option, and that to look at the sleeve. i then went through all the tests (medical, psychological etc).

I then "sat on" the whole idea over Christmas and into the New Year whilst I researched. And found this site and lurked for ages hearing people's stories. i also follow banding forums. I also had to examine my inner voices and feelings. I needed to be sure before making such a life changing and irreversible decision.

It was not until early April that I followed up with the coordinator of the group practice. A date was booked for two weeks time in end end April. So the work up time took a long time, the actual booking-in tine was no time at all.
So the journey will differ for each individual. My only advice is take your time to be sure that's what you want.
Good luck with your journey and enjoy the companionship and a mighty bunch of wonderful and courageous individuals on this form.
hugs to you
sassysmum
Back to top Go down
Fraggle
Fraggle

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2011-02-24

Time frame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time frame?   Time frame? EmptySun 08 May 2011, 2:25 am

Hi Stretch,

I booked my appointment with the surgeon in mid January, got in to see him early March.

I got a referral from my GP after I had booked the surgeon's appointment but before I saw him.

Getting sleeved June 1. I could have had it done much sooner but that's when my PHI kicks in.

If you're looking at going through APRA mention that to the surgeon when you have your first appoinment as he'll be able to give you a letter for them. You'll also need one from your GP, but you might want to hold off until after you've seen the surgeon because then your GP can just copy the wording from that letter. Allow a couple of months for APRA - it may happen sooner but you don't want to be cutting it fine. I allowed 10 weeks and even then I was getting nervous.

I'm getting done in Brisbane so I can't tell you what it's like in Melbourne though.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
stretch2011
stretch2011

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Time frame? Empty
PostSubject: Time frame?   Time frame? EmptySun 08 May 2011, 1:20 am

Hi all,

Very generally speaking, how long after you decision to go down the path of being sleeved did you go in for surgery?

I.e When you went to your Dr, then the surgeon - was it weeks or months?

I'd be interested to tear from Melbournians in particular, but also everyone's experiences.

I'll be going down the APRA so realize the Process may take longer.

I have an appointment with my GP on the 17th, I will be discussing it with her, then hopefully I can get the goahead to be 'sleeved'

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Time frame? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time frame?   Time frame? Empty

Back to top Go down

Time frame?
Page 1 of 1