nanz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LYD86

Female
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-07-31

worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery   worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery EmptyMon 03 Jan 2011, 11:00 am

Hi nanz

I started brisk walking 5 times a week at 4 weeks, at 6 weeks i was doing 6 days of intense cardio (cross trainer, stepper and treadmill) then since 8 weeks (i'm almost at 16 weeks) i've been doing the below:
Day 1 - 45min weights AM, 25mins intense cardio PM
Day 2 - 45-50mins cardio PM
I rotate and have day 7 off or just do a light stretching/body balance class.

I eat a very well balanced diet and have never had any issues with over exercise, cept too many squats hah.
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery   worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery EmptyMon 03 Jan 2011, 8:01 am

I go to the gym 5 times a week and do 30 mins strength training on the machines and then 45 mins of high intensity cardio and I have sooo much energy!!! My energy levels were definitely bad until i started eating real food at the 5 or 6 week mark, so I avoided the gym until 6 weeks out.

You will definitely be able to train HARD! I have had one incidence of feeling really faint and hypoglycemic when I went on a 5km walk to the shop one evening, but that was just the once. I then made the mistake of eating half a bag of lollies...

Remember you can always stop if you start feeling a bit crap - it certainly won't be a frequent problem once you have recovered! I have waaay more energy than I had before, especially now my weight is dropping

worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery 369315
Back to top Go down
nanz

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-06-14

PostSubject: Re: worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery   worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery EmptyMon 03 Jan 2011, 4:52 am

thanks everyone for the info.
Back to top Go down
antsinpants
Part of the furniture
antsinpants

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery   worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery EmptySun 02 Jan 2011, 2:05 pm

Hi nanz - I go to the gym 3 times a week - and I go first thing in the morning (before breaky) - I just make sure that I have enough water - I take about a litre with me - but I haven't had any problem with needing to eat before hand etc - just ensure I'm sufficiently hydrated :)
Back to top Go down
nanz

Female

PostSubject: Re: worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery   worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery EmptySun 02 Jan 2011, 12:19 pm

Thanks for sharing guys. Much appreciated.

Does your diet etc increase by much given your training regimen? Like do u have to ensure that you fuel up just prior to training to ensure that you dont faint or something during exercise? Keen to hear about how you adjust diets etc to accommodate for the physical exertion..
Back to top Go down
Dusty3

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-07-10

PostSubject: Re: worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery   worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery EmptySun 02 Jan 2011, 1:18 am

Hi Nanz

I started back at boxing at 4 weeks after the op and was doing light weights as well. You listen to your body and dont be stupid about it. Im the same as you exercise has always been easier than the food side ( buggar it lol) I have never had a problem with energy and you can go as intense as you like once you have recovered. The best side effect I'v found is how much easier the exercising is after you have lost weight. Good Luck.

Dusty
Back to top Go down
kazlikesgreen
Part of the furniture
kazlikesgreen

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Re: worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery   worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery EmptySat 01 Jan 2011, 2:00 pm

Hey Nanz!

I waited till I had my 6 week follow up before I got into real full on training.

I do bootcamp 3 times a week and 2 PT sessions a week and I'm fine! - I do bootcamp at 6am and it is the BEST way to start your day! I find I have more than enough energy to keep up and blitz through!!
Back to top Go down
http://karenjenniferful.blogspot.com
nanz

Female

PostSubject: Re: worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery   worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery EmptySat 01 Jan 2011, 1:44 am

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery   worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery EmptySat 01 Jan 2011, 1:42 am

Hi nanz

In the past, I too have loved my exercise, and, when I was exercising, found it a lot easier to lose weight. Obviously, when I wasn't able to exercise anymore, I stacked weight on. I was going six days a week, some days twice a day, for an hour at a time, and intend to work myself back to that level of exercise. I was into free weights, pump and boxing.
Once I have healed and recovered from my surgery, I see no reason at all why this can't happen. Speak to your surgeon first. Most say we should be giving it a good six weeks before getting into heavy exercise.
Speak with your dietician re. carbs/protein, I have found previously that my energy levels only flagged if I wasn't getting enough protein in, carbs didn't seem to matter. If your muscles can't fuel themselves with carbs, they'll do it with fat (this is my way of doing things, a dietician might not agree with me!). Of course, this will change once you've reached goal. Again, have a chat to a good dietician.

Cheers.

Last edited by Peazles on Sat 01 Jan 2011, 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nanz

Female

PostSubject: worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery   worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery EmptySat 01 Jan 2011, 12:10 am

all my life i have managed to lose weight through exercise. I was never one for diets and to be honest - my thoughts were "Id rather train for an hour or two each day than restrict what goes into my mouth".
i am due to have surgery in a few weeks time and i am really anxious about energy levels post op and whether i will be able to train as much as i do now. On a proper week i currently train in the following manner:

1. 1 x 1 hour weights (Pump)
  2. 3 x 45minute RPM classes
  3. 1 x 1 hour (or 1.5 hour once a month) RPM class
  4. 1 x 1 hour boxing class.

Post surgery i could probably reduce it by 1 x 45 minute RPM class but i wouldnt want to slash it anymore than that. Those of you who enjoy exercise can you share some of your own experiences? I want to know whether your energy levels dropped post sleeve and whether i can counteract this by being careful with diet (ie - ensuring i eat more meals and maybe adding more carbs to my diet). Thoughts please.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery   worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery Empty

Back to top Go down

worried that i wont be able to train as hard post surgery
Page 1 of 1