Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vmc513

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2016-01-05

New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne    New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne  EmptyWed 16 Mar 2016, 10:48 pm

Hi Eames I have a similar story to you. I've been lurking these pages for a while now, learning all I can about the world of sleeving. So all I can offer is some support, as I haven't traveled this path yet. I have been researching bypass vs sleeve. My husband is going to have an omega loop mini gastric bypass. His surgeon recommended it for his diabetes which is why he is having the operation, his bmi is currently 35. After looking for a solution to his health issues I am now looking at surgery as a good option, I also have a bmi of 35. 

Our surgeon recommended to omega loop instead of the full RNY bypass, as it has similar results, but less complications. It also incorporates a sleeved stomach instead of a pouch. I haven't spoken to him regarding my health as at the moment it is all about my husband as he is having the operation for health issues. Decisions, decisions.
Back to top Go down
healthime
healthime

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-02-18

PostSubject: Re: New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne    New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne  EmptyMon 14 Mar 2016, 5:16 am

Hi Becca, 

I found reading the stories on this website really useful.  My surgeon had given the medical information, however reading the blogs, and looking at the bariatric surgery youtube clips was also helpful.  Not so good if you are squeamish.   The dietician was also a good source of information.  As is Sally Johnston's book "your complete guide to nutrition for weight loss surgery". 

Am recovering really well - lower energy than usual, which I think might be due to the lower food intake, but overall, I have had a good recovery.  12 days from the surgery I flew to Melb (from Bris) and was able to undertake a pretty hectic social weekend. 

cheers
M
Back to top Go down
Eames
Eames

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Post surgery - how are you?    New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne  EmptySat 12 Mar 2016, 10:09 am

Thank you for your detailed reply,
How are you feeling post surgery & nearly ten days out from surgery?
Had your pre surgery clinic visits & surgeons appointments prepared you adequately for the first two weeks?

From your experience would two weeks medical leave from work as a teacher be enough time to recuperate & adjust?

I hope you & your body are adjusting and it has been a posstive first step in your journey,
Thank you again for your reflections ,
Becca
Back to top Go down
healthime
healthime

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-02-18

PostSubject: Re: New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne    New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne  EmptySat 05 Mar 2016, 5:23 am

Hi Eames, 

Good on you for taking these positive steps. Its a big decision, and certainly for me took over 5 years from first considering any type of surgery as a weight loss support tool, to actually booking the date and as of monday 29th Feb, having the gastric sleeve surgery done.  

I think the decision as to which surgery type is a good discussion between you and the surgeon. I chose the sleeve option because it gave me the best chance to achieve permanent weight loss, with the least complications and although not reversible, was reported to be the most flexible with food types.  The surgeon will likely calculate your eligibility by your BMI.   

I was already seeing a psychologist and found talking through the surgery options very helpful. For me, the head space issues still need to be addressed, the surgery is really just a tool to help me on the journey.  Try not to see it as a hurdle, but rather part of the team that will help you through the journey in the best possible way.  Its possible you could ask your GP for a mental health referral, which significantly reduces the cost of the psych appointments, as medicare picks up a big portion. 

I am not with Dr Skidmore, however I expect my out of pocket expenses (with full hospital cover) will be around $3-$4K.  You can ask the surgeons office for quotes with item numbers, which you can then take to your private health fund to see how much will be covered.    I see me making that saving in food alone over the next few years, and certainly in avoiding other health issues.  You are worth the investment, so if possible, dont let the cost be a barrier.    

Good luck with your decision. 

Sleever - five days post op.  and v v v happy with the decision.
Back to top Go down
Eames
Eames

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne    New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne  EmptySat 05 Mar 2016, 5:00 am

Good afternoon team,
I have been reading everyone's inspirational journeys for a while now, whilst investigating would/ could surgery help me keep my optifast weight loss journeys off for good. The weight loss cycles ( 20- 40 kg ,loss & regain )seems to be a similar experience , I know I been in this cycle for over 20years.
So recently , I have made a couple of concrete commitments towards maybe making surgery part of the solution.
- 8 months ago took out( first time in my life) Private Health Insurance , Teachers Heath Fund , top hospital & extras .
- Recently, I have booked an app for  late March with Dr Adam Skidmore
- yet to get referral letter from a Gp, ( do not see one regularly, since moving)
- Private health insurance for pre- existing conditions kicks in 1 of July,2016

I do not know whether I am being realistic about how much gap,fees will be & will I fit the medical criterial . I know my weight has impacted on my 18 year relationship, hence no kids & I am not the person I could be in my private & public life.

I am 166 cm tall & 107 kilograms heaviest 116 kg lowest over 10years 63 kilos . No high cholesterol/ blood pressure / fasting sugary issues . However , I am sure my weight will eventually impact on my physical health, as it does on my mental health.
I have a number of questions regarding ,
ByPass verses Sleeve ?
Some surgeons require ,as pre surgery hurdles , An appointment with a Mental health professional & Nutritionist . Is this the case with Dr Skidmore?
Total Gap cost for ByPass or Sleeve? with Dr Skidmores team ?
some one in a post commented on the anesthetist fees of 1500 , however their health cover , made the Gap cost 500??

I would really appreciate, hearing from others who have made these steps to a new pathway.

Kind regards,
Becca
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne    New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne  Empty

Back to top Go down

New to commencing weight loss with surgery support , Melbourne
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: