Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
PocketRocket

Male
Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after   Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after EmptyWed 03 Nov 2010, 2:32 am

SHAGGY wrote:
Mine is book for 17/11/2010, I am worring about the muscle loss too, did you come up with any ideas???

Hello everyone

I posted the original question and have come up with the same answer everyone else has written. The most important thing to remember is that you have had major surgery and now I realised that I was very wise to follow my doctors strict requirements to the letter and not to worry about losing muscle mass. I quickly changed my focus and didn't worry about losing muscle mass, but instead concentrated on feeling stronger, and letting my body recover from the operation.

Best of luck with the operation and it will totally change your life

MrVinyl
Back to top Go down
muffincatt
muffincatt

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-10-10

Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after   Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after EmptyTue 02 Nov 2010, 9:13 am

Hi

I know this was posted as One for the Guys, but here is my thoughts anyway.

I have Max's Whey Protein Isolate twice a day, in low fat milk, vanilla shake flavour, with a teaspoon of coffee and ice and put it in the blender and it tastes yummy, just like an iced coffee,
this ensure I am getting at least 74 grams of protein per day, the shake itself has no carbs,sugar or fat which is a bonus for me, and is full of nutrients and vitamins - but is not a meal replacment.

However,I am not suggesting you replace your meals with this, as you still need to get food in but I am only 7 days out and can not get my protein requirements in just a couple of serves of soup a day. Dont want to lose my hair if I canhelp it.

It takes the worry out in the innitial phase untill you can get the protein through your food which
has been great for me.

Just and idea

Regards

Muffincatt
Back to top Go down
stew

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after   Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after EmptyTue 02 Nov 2010, 8:36 am

You will lose some muscle mass there is just no way around it until you can get the required protien in and also get the exercise levels up. Dont worry though once you get back into the swing of things it is not harder to get the muscle mass back, in fact I would say it is easier to get good muscle definition as there isnt all the excess you to cover it up.
Back to top Go down
shortsleeves
Part of the furniture
shortsleeves

Female
Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after   Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after EmptyTue 02 Nov 2010, 4:35 am

I don't know that you can really do anything in this healing stage and regaining some volume of food.

I guess its really a catch 22 situation. You will always lose some muscle mass when losing weight quickly but you can also regain it through exercise - wieght bearing type - and diet (protein) soonish.

BUT healing properly should be priority before anything else.

B
acupuncture

Back to top Go down
SHAGGY
SHAGGY

Male
Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after   Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after EmptyTue 02 Nov 2010, 3:41 am

Mine is book for 17/11/2010, I am worring about the muscle loss too, did you come up with any ideas???
Back to top Go down
PocketRocket

Male
Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after   Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after EmptySun 26 Sep 2010, 2:32 pm

Hello everyone

Just a quick question as I was sleeved on the 20th of September (less than one week ago) and feel like a brand new man already which is an amazing feeling and my shorts nearly fell down today as they are so loose.

Just wondering how others are getting on with not losing muscle mass during the two week pre-optifast and then the four weeks recovery time before you are back on solid foods. I am going to start exericsing seriously, but not until I am properly healed and rested from the op.

Things are going really well, no shoulder pains and the swelling is not that bad. My question is that I can only have about half an optifast packet with about 200ml of water and about an additional 700ml of water in a day at the moment, and was wondering how others are getting on as I want to lose fat, but not muscle. Any suggestions would be helpful to try and get quality protein in to the system?

Many thanks

G
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after   Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after Empty

Back to top Go down

Not losing muscle mass during the first six weeks (2 week pre op and 4 weeks after
Page 1 of 1