Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?

Go down 
+11
melbell
jen-e
NutMeg
mapmar
Kylie
shelly25
PiercedMumma08
Janette
Emily
applesauce
bigboned
15 posters
AuthorMessage
bigboned

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-05-19

Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? Empty
PostSubject: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptySat 28 Aug 2010, 1:57 am

I just spoke to iselect under the impression that they provide every PHI in Australia, when I called them regarding signing up because of the sleeve surgery firstly they didnt know what it was so they regarded it as the same medicare number as the lap band (don't know if that's ok or not) and they quoted me as $101-3 with extras or around $93 without extras, is this normal? I'm only an 18 year old student I was honestly hoping for something around 70-85, does anyone know of any providers?
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptySat 28 Aug 2010, 3:45 am

rubbish it should be about $60 for single hospital cover ONLY. phone around dont let anybody talk you into any extras. You may even find it a tad cheaper. most weight loss surgeries are under the same medicare number. try medibamk private. but be aware some health funds have moved wls to their highest table if you find it much more than $60 go to the next one.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptySat 28 Aug 2010, 4:00 am

iselect only list the companies that pay them. You're better to check www.privatehealth.gov.au for an independent list.

The sleeve # is 30518, it's not the same as the lapband.

I'm not sure whether you're talking monthly amounts or what, but my insurance that covered the sleeve was about $64/fortnight.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptySat 28 Aug 2010, 4:17 am

Post removed.

Last edited by Janette on Sat 28 Aug 2010, 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptySat 28 Aug 2010, 5:06 am

Maybe its worth calling each of the providers yourself rather than going through iselect? Just to compare.
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptySat 28 Aug 2010, 6:55 am

im in hcf and found them to be good
and check your covered for everything you need as that can very between companies/level of cover

cheers
shelly
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptySat 28 Aug 2010, 7:21 am

Item number: 30511
MORBID OBESITY, gastric reduction or gastroplasty for, by any method

Item number: 30518
PARTIAL GASTRECTOMY

The surgeon use item number 30511 as we have a gastric reduction..... not a partical gastrectomy..... they sort of mean the same thing but partical gastrectomy is usually used for cancer patients..... the morbid obesity, gastric reduction or gastroplasty is for the gastric sleeve for morbid obesity..

Hope that helps!

Back to top Go down
NutMeg
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptySat 28 Aug 2010, 11:07 am

I have GMHBA Silver Plus Hospital cover. We pay for family cover and they arem incredibly reasonable. I just checked single cover, and with a $250 excess it is $33.20 per fortnight direct debit. Might be worth checking them out :)

And my item number was 30518.
Back to top Go down
bigboned

Female

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptySat 28 Aug 2010, 12:16 pm

it was $93-101 per month, I'm an 18 year old single female living in QLD working 15 hours a week for $15 an hour whilst studying full time so that is really pricey for me, I was expecting something more along the lines of $70 per month I don't know if I'm being ridiculous thinking that's possible? Lol! I'll call around just wanted to save some time and see what providers sleevers on here are with :) thanks!
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptySat 28 Aug 2010, 6:20 pm

My daughter is 26 and with Medibank Private. She pays $37.10 /fortnight for hospital cover. The hospital excess payment is a one off $100. Her medicare item no. for the sleeve was the same as the band - 30511.
Back to top Go down
melbell
Part of the furniture
melbell

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2010-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptySat 28 Aug 2010, 11:52 pm

i was given 30511 same as lap band from my surgeon

i know emily said diff number not sure could be wrong but i have noticed everyone from usa has given same number as emilly so im guessing depends where you are to what number they use

mel

Back to top Go down
sal73

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptyMon 11 Oct 2010, 7:32 am

Iselect put me in the top hospital cover with Australian Unity when we specifically asked about the sleeve since then i was reading about the band that has a 24 month wait so I called and they said any op with 30511 which was quoted by surgeon was a 24 month wait so now I am not happy to wait that long and am waiting a response from Iselect.
Back to top Go down
bigboned

Female

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptyTue 12 Oct 2010, 3:58 pm

Hey guys sorry about the massive time gap it took to reply!

So I've found out one thing from my meticulous researching: DO NOT TRUST ISELECT!

Lol. They aren't even associated with many popular health insurance companies and if they are they don't know anything about WLS and confidently quote you as top cover when you tell them about it. Wrong. I've called 6 leading companies and have found out that with every single company only the basic hospital cover is necessary as WLS has a medicare number and that is all that is necessary with hospital cover. Therefore, I am looking at about $45-55 per month with a $250-$500 excess! I'm excited, however the reason why I still haven't decided to get it is because after more researching I'm not sure if the sleeve is right for me?! D:

I feel like a traitor haha but I've been conversing a lot with the Duodenal Switch support group. The reason why I am so torn and can't make a decision is because the DS seems like it is something which will keep me on track long term because of the malabsorptive aspect, however I'm only 19 and reading about the effects it has on low birth weight pregnancies, miscarriages, and breastfeeding it has got me thinking, the Sleeve would be ideal if I knew I could stay away from fatty foods as restriction is not so much a problem for me as fatty foods are (which is where the malabsorption allurement of the DS comes in).

AH SO CONFUSED! :(
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptyTue 12 Oct 2010, 4:05 pm

no they always over quote. you need hospital only cover. no extras at all it should be around $60 a month.

lapband should be alright for initial info. for final quote before choosing explain the gastric sleeve.

try the big health funds first. some have weight loss surgery on the hughest cover only but NOT all health funds.

for anybody else reading this even if you have a partner and or kids you can still just get single cover.

dont let any health fund talk you into things you dont need.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptyTue 12 Oct 2010, 10:47 pm

Go to the GMF Health website below; with top cover & necessities; it costs about $75 per week; though sometimes less, depending on the level you pick. (without the necessities it would probably be around $60 month) There are a lot of health funds out there; you just need to do the research. HBF, I believe is good and lots of others; though the prices range from low to high; you just need to confirm the waiting period for the sleeve; and which level is fully covered. The more you pay generally the more you get.
http://www.gmfhealth.com.au/ (copy to your browser)

Take care
Back to top Go down
Kazz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptyWed 05 Jan 2011, 11:48 pm

Just thought I'd recommend Health Partners as an insurance fund worth looking at for a quote.

Ive been impressed with their service. I'm 38, hadnt had PHI before, and for single cover for their Silver Hospital cover, Im paying $37 per fortnight, with a $500 excess.

I explained exactly what I wanted cover for, and this was the level I was assured would cover me for the sleeve op.
Back to top Go down
kazlikesgreen
Part of the furniture
kazlikesgreen

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptyMon 10 Jan 2011, 12:52 pm

I'm with HIF and i pay $51 a month which includes very basic extras :) its the lowest hospital cover as well so it doesn't cover alot but it covers you for a sleeve!
Back to top Go down
http://karenjenniferful.blogspot.com
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? EmptyTue 11 Jan 2011, 12:49 am

Just catching up - I was quote item 30518 by NIB and that is also what my surgeon charged for - "partial gastrectomy". The US has nothing to do with it - I am there now, but lived in Australia and had my sleeve done in Australia. My cover was around $65/fortnight.

As mentioned earlier, iselect is a "for profit" entity - use http://www.privatehealth.com.au/ for the government site.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?   Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which PHI are you with and does this sound like too much?
Page 1 of 1