lunarose
12 posters
AuthorMessage
lunarose

Female
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-06-19

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptyThu 15 Jul 2010, 4:49 am

Not yet I go for the first consult with the surgeon next week. I hope I don't have to wait too long.
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010, 12:21 pm

excellent news!!! you will love the sleeve...... do you know what date you are getting done?
Back to top Go down
lunarose

Female

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: 1st appoint next week   To sleeve or not EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010, 6:56 am

Hi all, I just set up my first meeting with my doctor for the sleeve I am very excited.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptyTue 29 Jun 2010, 2:23 am

Hi Lexy,

If I compare the sleeve to a toothache, I would prefer the sleeve any day. I hate tooth ache and I honestly had pretty much no pain from the surgery.

Exercise, the same as Caz I don't do any. But I am a lot more active now, when I was in Indonesia this time the sweating was minimal and I just kept going and going. It is nothing at all for me to walk now and not because it is planned just because it happens.

Good luck.
Gail
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptyMon 28 Jun 2010, 10:16 pm

Hi Lexy

The pain of the operation was minimal for me - more like stiffness than actual pain. And they medicate you carefully too.

What a great thing that you'll have someone to go through this with you - that will make it so much easier and better.

Re exercise, I haven't really done any structured exercise, but am much more "active" since pre-sleeve.

Hugs
Caz
Back to top Go down
going2bsexylexy
going2bsexylexy

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-06-28

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptyMon 28 Jun 2010, 1:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Iam new here and can not tell you how much I have already gained from reading everyone's posts. From why they chose the sleeve over the band to what the expected problems might be. My partner of 7yrs and I are going to get the sleeve, we dont know when the big day is because were just waiting to finish the work that were doing. Iam very exited to be a rather normal size by Christmas as Iam very over sweating more than everyone else around me. I have a BMI of 39 which is not good at 24. We are both seeing Dr Jon Armstrong in Perth and have heard many good things about him. Iam very scared about the possible pain as I have never really experenced any, Proberbly most painful thing was a tooth ach. No child birth, Tatoos, Broken bones and hate needles. How much exercise does everyone do?? I work 12.5hr days and dont really have alot of spare time but I do manage 30mins around every second day.

Thanx again Lexy
Back to top Go down
lunarose

Female

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptyMon 28 Jun 2010, 5:17 am

Thank you all so much! For so long I have feel as if I keep dieting and exercising just to keep myself from gaining anymore forget about losing. I definitely want to do this and hopefully will soon.

Thanks again

Nancy
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptySat 26 Jun 2010, 1:21 am

Hi and Welcome,

I am 10 months out tomorrow and 45 kilos down.
Obviously I love my sleeve and have had absolutely no issues since surgery, have not even thrown up once.

Do yourself a favour read the diaries BUT also go to the gallery. They are absolutely brilliant.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
KatesNewLife
KatesNewLife

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-06-21

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: No regrets here   To sleeve or not EmptyMon 21 Jun 2010, 5:10 pm

I had the gastric sleeve procedure on May 17th of this year. I have lost 27 lbs. in the month following my surgery. I have had very little problems. My incisions have healed well and just last week moved to "mushy" food from liquids. So far, so great! The hardest part for me is remembering to drink water all the time. I have gotten into the habit of just carrying water with me everywhere I go and drinking a few sips all day long to get in the amount of water that I should drink daily. My insurance did not pay for the surgery, nor would it pay for any bariatric surgery. In a way that makes it more important to me to be sure that this works and that helps me stay on track. I do not regret having my surgery at all. In just a month I have no high blood pressure at all anymore and my pre-diabetes is improving. Overall I feel much better and am just starting an exercise program that includes resistance weights and swimming. Previously I was walking daily. I still walk but am adding to my regimen. Hopefully this will help tone my body while I continue to lose weight. I wish you the best with whatever decision you make!
Back to top Go down
Gutless Wonder
Gutless Wonder

Female
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-18

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptyMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:22 am

lunarose wrote:
Hi All, I am trying to decide on the sleeve but am somewhat of a wuss about such things, not to mention the costs because my insurance will not cover it.. I was wondering if there any sleevers out there that have any regrets and if so what are they. I am 53 post menopausal with a BMI of 36 (that I have to work at) with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and joint issues. I keep hearing so many conflicting things. No carbonated drinks, carbonated drinks are okay as long as it is sugar free, no bread except dry toast while others have said you can eat anything in moderation as long as it isn't high fat. So what is the truth? So many questions.

Thanks
Nancy

Low fat food? To hell with that!
Hi Nancy :)
My BMI went from 45 to 25 in ten months.
I went out for dinner on Sat night, and everyone at my table ate garlic bread before dinner, but I knew if I ate any I would become so full on one or two bites of bread and not be able to eat my prawns for my main.
But then garlic bread in an Italian restaurant is so irresistible, so I ate the crunchy buttery crust from one piece.
When my main came (which was an entree) I ate the garlic prawns, leaving a few that someone else polished off. I could not manage any salad.
Later I had a scoop of coffee ice cream floating in Kahlua for desert.
I sipped on a glass of coke with my dinner.
So to sum that up, a crust of bread, 6 prawns, a scoop of ice cream was what I ate over a 2 hour period and I was completely satisfied and full.
I can eat anything, and I do. Just not much.
I think it is important to understand that eating less does not make me feel I am missing out and left wishing I could eat more. It doesn't. A little now goes a long long way for me. I never feel deprived.
If that had been before surgery, I may have eaten 2 slices of garlic bread, an entree and a main as well as desert.
And that's why I was fat.
No regrets here.

Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptyMon 21 Jun 2010, 1:24 am

I am 61 (obviously post menopausal) and my BMI has gone from 37.1 to 22.6.

I can eat anything I want - just in smaller quantities.

My energy is up, my confidence is up - only my weight is down. I can drink carbonated drinks also.

Best thing I ever did!!!
Back to top Go down
madmargi
madmargi

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-26

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptySun 20 Jun 2010, 8:00 am

"I am 53 post menopausal with a BMI of 36 with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and joint issues." Hello Nancy, with a BMI of 55 I didn't really have a choice, I needed a sleeve. 7 weeks down the track I have a BMI of 46 (9 less!) Amazing, I could never have done this alone, I know, I have tried often and failed. I like a poached egg on toast, no crusts. Also baked beans or mushrooms on toast. I LOVE fizzy drinks but now buy the teeny ones, 200mls and it takes me an hour to drink one. my blood pressure meds have gone, yipeee! I can walk faster and am more able to to other things, I don't use a walker when I have to go to difficult places. My hips and knees are thanking me for losing 30kgs, another 30 to go! I am 100% happy, I don't care if I can only eat one spring roll or 4 scallops or 1/2 a cup cake, I feel bloody marvellous! Good Luck Nancy. Margi.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptySun 20 Jun 2010, 12:08 am

Ditto, ditto, ditto - read, read, read
I'm 2 years out now, and can eat or drink anything I like. However I do have to be careful of carbonated drinks - I prefer to let them go a little flat first, or they make me feel terribly bloated. This coming from someone who used to relish the bubbles and would never drink them flat!
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptySat 19 Jun 2010, 11:00 pm

lunarose wrote:
Hi All, I am trying to decide on the sleeve but am somewhat of a wuss about such things, not to mention the costs because my insurance will not cover it.. I was wondering if there any sleevers out there that have any regrets and if so what are they. I am 53 post menopausal with a BMI of 36 (that I have to work at) with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and joint issues. I keep hearing so many conflicting things. No carbonated drinks, carbonated drinks are okay as long as it is sugar free, no bread except dry toast while others have said you can eat anything in moderation as long as it isn't high fat. So what is the truth? So many questions.

Thanks
Nancy

Hi Nancy and welcome to the forum.
You could be talking about me here, LOL except my BMI was higher!!

I can drink carbonated drinks, eat bread, eat and drink ANYTHING except much smaller amounts.
I am 6 months out and being sleeved was the best thing I have ever done for myself.
I LOVE MY SLEEVE.

Good luck with your decision and journey To sleeve or not 217555
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptySat 19 Jun 2010, 9:42 am

Hi Nancy
Welcome to the forum..... have a good read as there is a lot of information on here about the sleeve and peoples experiences... each are different so in answering your questions there really is no right or wrong.... the best thing about the sleeve is that you only eat small portions. I have lost 18kg so far and it has been the BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE!!!

Have fun in reading and deciding what is best for you!
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptySat 19 Jun 2010, 2:20 am

Hi Nancy

Ditto to Diamonds welcome...

Have a look through the various threads and forums. You will find there are answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet! The pre-op and post-op forums are a good place to start as are the diaries...where you can read different people's individual journeys.

The reality is that we are all different...As a non-tea and non-coffee drinker who doesn;t particularly like water, I used to drink a lot of carbonated stuff. At 10 weeks post-op I don;t anymore. I haven't tried reintroducing them to my diet yet as I don't need to....it's more important that I get in the essential nutrients, rather than the "empty" ones. One of the reasons I had the sleeve is because I love things like bread and meat...I haven't had a piece of toast yet, but have had sandwiches a couple of times...no problems but I can only eat about a quarter of a sandwich at a time...

So good luck as you explore the site and make some decisions about what to do...I have had a great experience with the sleeve so far...and at 20kgs down am enjoying the additional health benefits already....

cheers

S
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
lunarose

Female

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not EmptySat 19 Jun 2010, 12:51 am

Thanks
Nancy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

To sleeve or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not   To sleeve or not Empty

Back to top Go down

To sleeve or not
Page 1 of 1