Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
psychomum
psychomum

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2011-04-18

Problems drinking water....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyWed 01 Jun 2011, 1:43 pm

Hi Jess, How's it going? Still pretty raw I'm guessing.

I found it hard to tolerate any more than 20 mls at a time. Just kept sipping away all day and I mean sipping. Ice chips were good and finally asked hub to get the diet cordial. Couldn't stand the taste after being on water for days.

So tipped apple juice from the breakfast tray into the water jug in desperation...voila' not too bad.. but I found I've eaten a lot of strange concoctions in order to get some satisfaction since the sleeve....baby food in soup to thicken it up a little... who would have thought...lol Have a fantastic journey and let us all know how you are getting on....hugs psychomum
Back to top Go down
sassysmum
Part of the furniture
sassysmum

Female
Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyWed 01 Jun 2011, 7:47 am

I'm having a similar problem, I use warm water, and sometime put Benefibre Orange flavour in it. It's worse in the mornings, gets better as the day slinks along. Hang in the, it gets better with time. and it is essential that we do as much water as possible.
sassysmum
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyWed 01 Jun 2011, 7:37 am

Try lemonade icy poles. They really worked for me, and I managed to get far more liquid in by consuming it as a 'solid'.
Back to top Go down
jess
jess

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyWed 01 Jun 2011, 4:11 am

thanks eery one. just went and bought some diet cordial and some apple juice. hopefully this helps.
Problems drinking water....... 65317
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyWed 01 Jun 2011, 3:47 am

Took many months for me to drink the stuff, wich was sad cause i love water..
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
Vronnie
Part of the furniture
Vronnie

Female
Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyTue 31 May 2011, 11:36 pm

Yep it has to do with the surface tension of the water.

Rather than getting into the habit of adding cordial why not try adding your benefibre to the water?

I found apple juice was a lifesaver at the beginning of my journey.

Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyTue 31 May 2011, 10:25 pm

Congrats on your sleeve!! I have heard people say they can't do water. A dash of cordial, or maybe drinking it warm might help? Something to do with the molecules breaking down and deviding up if you have cordial in it or something. I really have no idea, but thats just something I heard Problems drinking water....... 314562
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyTue 31 May 2011, 10:05 pm

Hi Jess,
Congrats on getting your sleeve.
Quite a few people have problems drinking straight water, I wasn't one of them. The wise ones on here say that adding a little diet cordial, or some lemon juice etc will make it easier.
I hope the pain stops soon. Good luck on your journey.
Back to top Go down
jess
jess

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-05-30

PostSubject: sipping water hurts?????   Problems drinking water....... EmptyTue 31 May 2011, 2:29 pm

hi all,
i had my surgery on thursday and i have been told to sip sip sip water all day. but i am in alot of pain when i sip water. any other fluid no pain only water. was wondering if this is normal or if i should call the surgeon????

Problems drinking water....... 697586
Back to top Go down
pixelchick
pixelchick

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyThu 16 Dec 2010, 10:21 am

I can't tolerate more than a few swallows of water at a time and I am 6 weeks out. It is the only thing that I have issues with. I struggle to get in a litre a day. I mentioned this to my surgeon and he said that it has to do with the viscocity of water and that it can create an air lock in the tummy for some sleevers. He added that some people manage better when something is added to the water, such as cordial. Not me though! I do need to have it icy cold to tolerate it though which is the opposite to what I have always had. Before the surgery I could not stand cold water. It had to be room temperature. If I was out and bought a bottle of water I would ask for one not in the fridge but from the store room or where ever.
Drinking what I should is a real battle.
Back to top Go down
Jigglypuff
Part of the furniture
Jigglypuff

Female
Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptySat 04 Dec 2010, 5:34 am

I've had no trouble drinking water since day 1. I have at least 2L per day (I am currently 10 days post-op). One taste that has changed though is, I cant stand the taste of coffee anymore. I used to love (obsessively) my coffee, now it taste like chlorinated milk...bleh
Back to top Go down
kazlikesgreen
Part of the furniture
kazlikesgreen

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 3:04 pm

I used to be able to drink 4-5 litres a day before the op (i talk for a living it was needed!)
Post op I struggled for one litre but added other things like vitamin water.
However yesterday I managed to get down FOUR litres!!! First time in 3 months!!
Back to top Go down
http://karenjenniferful.blogspot.com
kilrust

Female
Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 11:23 am

I too had lots of trouble trying to drink water post-op when its all that I drank before as in I rarely drink cool drink and in summer no hot drinks.

I found I had to drink cordial and it was about 6 months before I could drink water again like I used to and now thats all I drink again :)

Dont worry about it just drink what ever you are comfortable drinking because with summer coming it is more important to drink regardless of what you are drinking :)

Ruth :)
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 6:03 am

I had a lot of problems drinking water after surgery. I could tolerate it, if it was icy cold, but to be able to drink tap water or water from out the fridge took a couple of months.
Back to top Go down
fififofum
fififofum

Female
Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Trouble with water?   Problems drinking water....... EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 5:56 am

Hi All,

I'm only Day 3 but was wondering whether others have trouble getting water down after surgery? I can drink tea, choccy milk, up and go but water feel likes it has rocks in it. I think that I've read this on other posts but just wanted some reassurance.
Problems drinking water....... 697586

Other than that, bring on Day 4!

Fi, xx.
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyMon 23 Aug 2010, 9:47 am

YES the dry mouth - i hate it!
Back to top Go down
kilrust

Female
Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyThu 19 Aug 2010, 7:29 am

I found after my op that I was always dry in the mouth and I started to drink cordial which was something I had never done but at least my fluid level went up and as time passed I changed back to water and and haven't had cordial now for maybe 6-8 months.

I think drinking something is better then nothing at this stage and I didn't find that drinking the cordial affected my weight loss either :)

Ruth :)
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyThu 19 Aug 2010, 6:13 am

Joy I rarely drink water these days, far too cold. Promise to start again when the weather improves.
I get up to go to the toilet 3 to 4 times a night anyway. I just put it down to age LOL
Back to top Go down
Joyla
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyThu 19 Aug 2010, 3:17 am

I gotta tell ya that this water business is ruining my sleep.
Do you know how cold it is when you have to visit the loo 2-3 times a night?
I've even tried drinking my water before 3pm so that I am done by the time I goo to bed - but does my baldder behave? Noooooo - still 2-3 times a night.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptySat 14 Aug 2010, 4:38 am

Hi Mel,
I found after surgery that I couldn't stand water and don't much like cordial, so I just squeezed a tiny bit of orange into the glass of water and it was enough and preferable to cordial.

Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: plain water can be ouchy   Problems drinking water....... EmptySat 14 Aug 2010, 2:17 am

hi guys

just thought i'd let you know that my surgeon said to have water with a bit of cordial / juice in it as plain water has a different specific gravity to these other suggestions and can 'grab' air when swallowing

i decided to try it LOL and i found for me (in these early days) the water did tend to gurgle and be gassy when plain (which is a bummer as i don't really drink juice and cordial much)

so at the moment i am doing the cordial water and lots of milk (for the protein count)

just in case nobody tells you
x
mel
Back to top Go down
twoangels72
twoangels72

Female
Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 10:54 am

I'm 6 months out and still can't drink water. Something about it feels like i've just swallowed a massive air bubble and I can feel it going all the way down. Very uncomfortable feeling which is awful. I'm drinking loads of iced tea the moment which keeps me hydrated but has too much sugar in it. About 100 cal per 500ml. Can't drink wine either which annoys me. I've ordered some protein powder that you add to water that makes a fruit type drink and i'm going to give that a go.....
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 6:42 am

Nothing to do with the topic but just wanted to say; Kylie, your face is really starting to change and thin out!
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... EmptyFri 06 Aug 2010, 10:52 pm

I have never had any trouble drinking water from the time I was sleeved.

And you will beable to gulp water again, I can get a glass done in 2 gulps now!

I just can't scull it!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problems drinking water.......   Problems drinking water....... Empty

Back to top Go down

Problems drinking water.......
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next