AuthorMessage
KahunaLou
KahunaLou

Male
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Protein Drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Drinks   Protein Drinks EmptySun 27 Sep 2009, 4:34 pm

Disclaimer: I do not work for either of the companies cited nor have any vested interest other than as a very satisfied consumer of the products.

Like you, I could not stomach the whey-based protein shakes (was that a pun?).

I found the PureProtein bars and shakes simply tastes good! I get them at Trader Joes, so if you have one near you, you might want to try them. They are a little pricey, but to be honest, the savings in the overall food budget (we're eating less now) more than makes up for the price and the quality.

The bars have 20g and 32g protein "weights" so they serve very well when you're trying to get that daily protein in as a supplement and satisfy the craving at the same time.

The shakes also come in two sizes: 21g and 32g and are also in a variety of flavors.

For me personally, they taste precisely like what the packaging states and I'm particularly partial to the S'mores bars (maybe it's the Boy Scout in me) and the Strawberry flavor shake.

I'm also a customer of Bariatric Advantage which is where I get my vitamin supplements. They just introduced meal replacements that I now keep in my truck and desk at work as part of my emergency supplies (earthquake, fire, flood, etc.) and eat when I find that work gets in the way of my lunch time. I do not use the meal replacement as a regular item; only in a pinch.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
The Pocket Rocket
Part of the furniture
The Pocket Rocket

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Protein Drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Drinks   Protein Drinks EmptyFri 25 Sep 2009, 7:40 am

Hi, there is a protein powder that I can highly recommend that tastes great. It is called Lean Dessert Protein made by BSN. It is in red tubs with a silver grey lid. You can get it in health food shops etc. There are 6 flavours and they are yummy, Choc Fudge, Choc Coconut, Creamy Vanilla, Cinnamon Scroll, Banana Nut Bread and Banana Creme. My favourite is the Banana Nut Bread. They are good because they are high protein but virtually no fat or sugar. 120 cals per scoop. If you mixed one scoop with a cup of skim milk that would be about 30gms protein.
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

Protein Drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Drinks   Protein Drinks EmptyFri 25 Sep 2009, 5:10 am

Just have to say by 2 cents worth...... I was sort of freaking myself out with all the talk of hair loss etc post op if you don't get enough protein in....i found these drinks in the supermarket that have like 50 grams of protein......... taste like sh!t with oiliness, i managed about a quarter of one and still have a second on in the fridge 3 weeks later. i just make sure I have skim milk a couple of times a day and I read the labels on absolutely everything...... I think we get to know how we can get in enough protein. I also have some protein shots if I am desperate but haven't tried on yet.
Good luck.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Protein Drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Drinks   Protein Drinks EmptyFri 25 Sep 2009, 3:58 am

this is how it works. Here in Australia the most popular weight loss surgery is the lapband, so be it laziness or just follow the leader attitude surgeons just hand out the SAME rules to lapbanding as to sleevers. In the USA the most popular weight loss surgery is b-pass so again be it laziness or just follow the leader attitude surgeons just hand out the SAME rules for bypass to sleevers.
It is really bad habit that they do this. Australia is getting better but in some areas it is still shocking. In the USA it is even worse it is like you sprain your ankle there and to make sure the entire world doesn't get sued they insist on full body scans and thousands of dollars worth of tests.

I am so not telling anybody to go against their surgeons instructions, I am just saying do not stress take a look around at all those thriving without protein shakes or following lapband rules. I just hate to see people get all stressed because they are finding choking down something difficult when in a matter of a few weeks you will be getting all you need from real food.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Protein Drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Drinks   Protein Drinks EmptyThu 24 Sep 2009, 11:52 pm

as long as you get the protein in, with a similar amount to that of the shake... I'd rather eat it than drink it! Even though I use the opti bars as my breakfast on the go, I can't stand the shakes... the bars are good, means I'm not having to worry about choices, or preparation on the mornings I work and go to the gym... but they have the same protein content as one of those shakes anyway!
Back to top Go down
cmc58

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Protein Drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Drinks   Protein Drinks EmptyThu 24 Sep 2009, 7:22 pm

What is the deal with the US and protein shakes!
I had a followup visit with my surgeon (9 months out) recently and he read me the riot act because I haven't been drinking my protien shakes! I wanted to argue that the people on this web site (for the most part) don't have to drink them but kept my month shut and took the lecture. He says my muscles will waste away and I could die, don't know if this is just a scare tactic or not enough experience with sleeve patients.
Anyway I can't stand any of the shakes I have tried, the few I could stomach I got sick of during the 6 weeks of liquids I was required to drink at the start. I can't even gag down half a shake now - so if someone can recommend a good tasting shake it would be much appreciated.
Otherwise I think I am doing fine, the weight loss has slowed quit a bit now but hopefully will keep going slowly but surely.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Protein Drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Drinks   Protein Drinks EmptyThu 24 Sep 2009, 11:03 am

Hi Kelsie,

I don't know if you have opti fast in the US but I am in fact a little addicted to the Strawberry and the Coffee.
When my surgeon asked me if I could keep having one a day even though I am starting more solid food I didn't have a problem at all.
Now these can be purchased on line as well which makes life soooooo much easier.

If you would like me to post you a couple of different flavours so that you can try them let me know I would be more than happy to.
It will save you buying a whole bunch of stuff and then hating it.

Cheers Gail.
Back to top Go down
Kelsie
Kelsie

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-09-21

Protein Drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Drinks   Protein Drinks EmptyThu 24 Sep 2009, 7:06 am

How do you all do it without the drinks?
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Protein Drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Drinks   Protein Drinks EmptyThu 24 Sep 2009, 3:42 am

Honestly every single sleever outside of the USA not only survives but thrives not drinking these hehehe But I am sure somebody from the USA will come along and point you to one you may like.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Kelsie
Kelsie

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-09-21

Protein Drinks Empty
PostSubject: Protein Drinks   Protein Drinks EmptyThu 24 Sep 2009, 2:45 am

I am desperate to find one that doesn't taste like protein! What are your favorites? Do you like the powder or the ones that cmoe ready to drink?

Thanks!
Kelsie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Protein Drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Drinks   Protein Drinks Empty

Back to top Go down

Protein Drinks
Page 1 of 1