Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  EmptyTue 07 Jun 2016, 5:46 am

I don't think that's dumping.  Dumping is when the contents of your stomach travel into the intestine too fast.   Particularly high sugar/high fat stuff.  It may cause nausea/fainting/discomfort etc, but not so much vomiting - except for vomiting out your butt.  

It can happen with a sleeve, but is less common.

It sounds more like either reflux, or just - eating too much, too quick, or not chewing enough.  At 6 weeks out, a lot of people still have a lot of swelling in their stomachs and can only tolerate tiny amounts still.  Particularly if you've been vomiting etc - wouldn't help the healing or swelling.  Any more than tiny amounts of solids, and it's likely to be sitting high in your oesophagus causing that feeling.  I'd be going back to runny/very puree'd, and going very slow.   For some people, the progression to normal food just takes longer.

Of course, it's also possible that the sleeve is too tight, but that's something you need to talk to your surgeon about.
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-03-24

PostSubject: Re: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  EmptyMon 06 Jun 2016, 11:56 pm

Would be nice if I got to see my surgeon - 1st time I waited over two hours and then was so annoyed and rushed the appointment as I had to fetch kids from school! Second time I left after an hour and a half. I have an appointment next week which I have to move out a week or two as my boss is getting the zig with me sitting at appointments for so long! She is not understanding AT ALL! I will chat to him when I do see him again! I am sure he will tell me it is all normal - as usual!
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female
Number of posts : 361

PostSubject: Re: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  EmptyMon 06 Jun 2016, 11:49 am

Gosh, so sorry to hear that.
Must be really tough for you. I wonder if there is a way of getting a second opinion, because this situation does not sound right, and you have had problems for a long time now.

Did the surgeon suggest another gastroscopy, to have a look inside and check if there are issues inside?

I do hope you get an answer and relief soon!
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

PostSubject: Re: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  EmptyMon 06 Jun 2016, 9:48 am

Krakow57

Thanks for explaining! Then I dump at EVERY meal - I get that horrible burning in my chest and the "spasming" feeling in my oesophagus and most meals I have to run to the bathroom as I can feel the food coming up - I don't throw up everytime but I have to swallow really hard to keep the food down. That is what I meant when I say I can feel the food sitting at the top of my throat - that is why I HATE eating - every meal is the same. The only thing I can eat as I mentioned is the Cruskit with cottage cheese and Avo - it is the only thing I don't get "dumping" with. That is why I skip some meals - I can't be arsed for that horrible feeling.
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

PostSubject: Re: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  EmptyMon 06 Jun 2016, 6:47 am

Dumping for me was:

1. Soonest I had my drier scrambled egg, I had horrendous reflux/burning travelling Up my oesophagus, my chest was like on fire, and I knew I had to throw up. Weird thing was, I had no nausea, just burning and feeling food coming up ....

2. I felt unwell after eating too much ice-cream, flu type feeling, extreme sudden tiredness, headache

3. Can also feel suddenly anxious, dizzy

Read up on dumping, as there are many symptoms explained. I am only sharing what I experienced

Dumping can happen with Gastric Sleeve and Bypass also, not only with the band
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

PostSubject: Re: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  EmptyMon 06 Jun 2016, 2:57 am

krakow57

When you say you had dumping - what exactly is that - I see it used so often but thought it was the band patients that had dumping. 
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

PostSubject: Re: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  EmptyMon 06 Jun 2016, 2:27 am

Going back to a previous diet stage for a while is a good idea.
I did it, and it helped me.

As I said, even now, on full solids, I still make sure they are not too dry.
So, runny food, eat very slowly, chew well, use small spoons, tiny forks, small bowls/side plates

It is a learning phase for the new stomach, it will show you which foods are not right for you at this stage. Just avoid those foods, and try them later on.

It is a life-style change and mind-set change.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

PostSubject: Re: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  EmptyMon 06 Jun 2016, 1:21 am

Thanks for the encouragement! I feel so over this op now and would go so far as to say I am having major regrets but I will try and hang in there! I do struggle massively with anything sweet - sweet stuff makes me very nauseas. I have had flavoured yoghurts but find them too sweet - I will try plain yoghurt. I feel like I almost need to go back to puree's again :(
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

PostSubject: Re: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  EmptySun 05 Jun 2016, 2:54 pm

Hi todds,

My main staples are: yoghurt with stewed or grated apples, cruskits with cream or cottage cheese and soft, mashed tinned smoked salmon.
My solids are still bit runny, mainly chicken/turkey/beef/lamb Minces with lots of sauce.

I am now 3 months post op, and some drier foods give me reflux or feel uncomfortable.
So I make sure everything is juicy and easy to eat. Soft veggies as well, spinach, zucchini, cauliflower well cooked and soft.

I take a small sip of black tea with my meal, if I feel thirsty or I want to have my food slide down easily. A sip with my meal, and a sip just after my meal.
This helps me.

Just hang in there, and as Lmw93579 said, the first few months are tough, but things do get better.

Few weeks ago I had a dumping episode because my scrambled egg was too dry.
Now I include sauces in all my savoury meals, so they are not dry.

Good luck with your recovery journey!
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  EmptySun 05 Jun 2016, 12:07 pm

Hang in there Toddsinoz the first few months are pretty tough and for a while it gets pretty discouraging. It's early days and things will improve

I started out pretty much surviving on scrambled egg and laughing cow cheese but now there isn't much that I can't tolerate.

You won't hate food forever, someday soon you'll love it again!
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

PostSubject: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  EmptySun 05 Jun 2016, 11:44 am

Hi There

I am 6 weeks post op and on solids now. When I first started solids I used to eat and get that aweful shoulder pain - my Dietician said that maybe I was eating too fast and that was causing the shoulder pain. I know I have slowed down (as I no longer get the shoulder pain) but no matter what I eat I feel uncomfortable after every meal. I have the feeling like the food is sitting in the top of my throat or I have that awful spasming feeling - no matter what I eat. Fish/Tuna is the worst! I do feel like I am chewing the food to a paste (Maybe not a paste enough?) But I HATE eating now.

The only thing I seem to be able to tolerate without the spasming feeling is Crispbread with Avo and Cottage cheese so this is what I have for Breakfast and lunch EVERYDAY - twice I have tried the same combo with Tuna but then I get that spasming feeling again - with the Tuna Combo.

Is this all normal? Does it get better? How do I know if my sleeve is not too tight?

I would recommend this op for the weight loss but I am really regretting it because I now hate food and dread eating.

I am SURE (bloody hope) this is just parr for the course but I am praying like hell it gets better!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?    How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?  Empty

Back to top Go down

How do I know if my sleeve is too tight?
Page 1 of 1