xbandit
9 posters
AuthorMessage
xbandit

Female
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-12-08

From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyMon 14 Dec 2009, 5:00 pm

Kyles wrote:
I definately have that xbandit!!! I can still eat too quickly but always seem to know when to stop (so far) but I have occasionally had one bite too many and spat it out instead of swallowing...lol

It's amusing when people encourage you to eat more...and you say you can't. They don't seem to understand...you just physically can't. My husbands intervenes with an annoyed....'don't try and make her eat any more ..she said she can't she can't.' he gets annoyed 'cause he feels he has to protect me from my family. Roar The big lug.
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyThu 10 Dec 2009, 7:24 pm

I definately have that xbandit!!! I can still eat too quickly but always seem to know when to stop (so far) but I have occasionally had one bite too many and spat it out instead of swallowing...lol
Back to top Go down
xbandit

Female

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyThu 10 Dec 2009, 5:54 pm

Tempest wrote:
Hi,
just wanted to add my 10cents worth.
I know that they say not to eat and drink together BUT if I am with friends and there is cheese and wine I do both. I don't do it with every meal because otherwise I would never get in a decent meal LOL I just have a little of each, wait till it is settled then have another sip and a little nibble, have been able to do this from about 10 weeks out.
Mind you I love a good glass of wine always have but now I have to have it ice cold, weird the things that change after. I have been very lucky never had a moment of upchuck or anything like that, learned to eat slowly and in case you hadn't guessed I love my sleeve.

Good luck with the decision.
Cheers Gail

thats good to know thanks.....i noticed when I had my band ...actually it is still in me it is just not connected...I wonder if it can go moving around? From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help 697586 With the band when it was working properly ie proper restriction, I felt that I physiccally could not eat fast even if I wanted to...which I didn't. I would sometimes get a bit in my mouth and then realize..I couldn't swallow it..because there was no more room. Is it the case with the sleeve?
Back to top Go down
xbandit

Female

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyThu 10 Dec 2009, 5:44 pm

Libby wrote:
I am an ex bandit and think the sleeve is so much better than the band. I figured out how to cheat the band pretty early on. You can't over eat with the sleeve. Food doesn't get stuck with the sleeve like it does with the band you just have a smaller stomach so can't physically eat too much. Having said that if you overeat it is extremely uncomfortable and I find I just need to vomit. My Dr told me the band was restrictive but the sleeve is reductive. Everyone's experiences are very different within the first 3 months.

Goodluck with your decision making.

From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help 120705 I saw Dr. Loi yesterday...I am booked in for the sleeve on the 5th of January. Unless..I chicken out.

Overeating and the need to vomit is my concerm...I think thats why my band slipped in the first place, In saying that I think if I feel full or if it is uncomfortable ..I won't.

If you don't mind me asking.how often would you vomit From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help 749870 with the band I would sometimes do it as long as it would take to finish eating and drinking to my delight. That is so wrong. I know.. I would do it mainly when my bamd was too restricted. So I was wondering...will I be more or less likley to vomit with the sleeve, Of course...i know not to do it at all...but what if?
Back to top Go down
xbandit

Female

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyThu 10 Dec 2009, 5:25 pm

mapmar wrote:
HI xbandit.. I note that when you reply to your post you are putting it in the subject line... you need to put it in the section below were it says close tags... message body
That way you can fit more in and we can read it correctly....

all the best!

From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help 595690 Hmm ..I think I did right this time..thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyWed 09 Dec 2009, 10:09 am

Hi,
just wanted to add my 10cents worth.
I know that they say not to eat and drink together BUT if I am with friends and there is cheese and wine I do both. I don't do it with every meal because otherwise I would never get in a decent meal LOL I just have a little of each, wait till it is settled then have another sip and a little nibble, have been able to do this from about 10 weeks out.
Mind you I love a good glass of wine always have but now I have to have it ice cold, weird the things that change after. I have been very lucky never had a moment of upchuck or anything like that, learned to eat slowly and in case you hadn't guessed I love my sleeve.

Good luck with the decision.
Cheers Gail
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyWed 09 Dec 2009, 8:13 am

I am an ex bandit and think the sleeve is so much better than the band. I figured out how to cheat the band pretty early on. You can't over eat with the sleeve. Food doesn't get stuck with the sleeve like it does with the band you just have a smaller stomach so can't physically eat too much. Having said that if you overeat it is extremely uncomfortable and I find I just need to vomit. My Dr told me the band was restrictive but the sleeve is reductive. Everyone's experiences are very different within the first 3 months.

Goodluck with your decision making.
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyWed 09 Dec 2009, 3:47 am

HI xbandit.. I note that when you reply to your post you are putting it in the subject line... you need to put it in the section below were it says close tags... message body
That way you can fit more in and we can read it correctly....

all the best!
Back to top Go down
xbandit

Female

PostSubject: The "there's no need to fit it all in together' made me laugh...my husband always says that to me. I am a bad shoveller..it goes down withoout hitting the sides..I blame it on the diabetes.   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyWed 09 Dec 2009, 3:12 am

bushgirl wrote:
I am now approx 7 months post op, and I can eat anything, I do nibblies when we have friends over, but I can only ever fit in one or two things... and I wait for dinner. I drink before my meals, but try not to during or straight after, and wait usually an hour or so until I feel "empty" to drink again. applesauce has put it in writing that you can eat and drink together, but why? when you can only fit in so much, would you try to drink and get all the healthy goodness from your meal at the same time, when you can drink before or after and get all your nutrition from the meals (paraphrased but giving you the idea). The sleeve is a weightloss tool, and it alone can't help you lose weight, you have to be prepared to change your ways, especailly if these have gotten you to the point of contemplating surgery in the first place. I'm not trying to be horrible, but you can enjoy a little drinkie, and then have a piece of cheese, and then a bit later your meal... there is no need to try and fit it all in together. If you have the operation you are doing it predominantly for your health, so If it were me I'd be looking to change my ways on the whole, and enjoy the occasional drink and cheese but not make it a "must have".
Dog Hello Hello Hello Dog
Back to top Go down
xbandit

Female

PostSubject: That sounds promising...with the band when it was too tight I felt I would die of thirst and would keep pouring it down but it could go nowhere but up. i am happy to hear it's working for you.   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyWed 09 Dec 2009, 3:05 am

Countrygirl wrote:
I am 11 weeks out and can eat everything I did before surgery. I have been around to friends for wine and nibbles and found that it was fine. As long as you only sip the wine and nibble about 1/3 to 1/4 what you used to you will be fine. But remembering that the sleeve is just a tool for weight loss and too much snacking will either stall weight loss or you could still put on. But I know you know that.

Basically the sleeve is everything that I hoped for and better. I probably enjoy my food more now than ever. When they say not to eat then drink straight after is because if you have a full stomach then add that mouthful of water on top you will be sick. I made that mistake when I was at an Ag Show. I simply forgot and was thirsty. I didn't vomit but boy was I feeling sick and sorry for myself for about half and hour and thought I was gonna chuck.

So yes, you can still have nibbles and wine. But go really slow to start with. There is no soft drink for a while, I think 3 months but I am staying away from them anyway.
Back to top Go down
xbandit

Female

PostSubject: thanks for the info...do you know if everyone is different or do we all pan out the same in the end? My surgeon has a dietician...but she makes me feel miserable so i don't see her any more?   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyWed 09 Dec 2009, 2:55 am

lindabinda wrote:
Hi XBandit...... my doctor has a support group for all his WLS peeps, he does all 3 ops and there is one lady there who had multiple probs with her band BUT she went back and had the slippage fixed and the port moved to a different place and she swears by it!!! There are others who have had the sleeve post band and one who had the roux en y or bypass and they are all happy and all losing weight consistently.
Now with the drinking and eating togther, my surgeon says yes you can eventually and I was discussing this with the dietitian last week. She said she wishes he would add a little more when he says it, such as depending on what you are eating you may be able to drink as well.She feels if you have had rice or pasta if you drink it might go glutinous in your stomach and feel uncomfortable but then again it is a matter of trial and error. Also some time around 3 months post op your stomach stats working properley again and empties more efficiently. I am yet to have that happen and I have had more episodes in the last month of needing to vomit than I had earlier post op.......I have to make sure I chew properley and that the food is very moist and sometimes its difficult to do both of these . Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us up to date with your progress
Linda :)
From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help 355206 From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help 355206 From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help 355206 From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help 355206 From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help 355206
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyWed 09 Dec 2009, 2:18 am

I am 11 weeks out and can eat everything I did before surgery. I have been around to friends for wine and nibbles and found that it was fine. As long as you only sip the wine and nibble about 1/3 to 1/4 what you used to you will be fine. But remembering that the sleeve is just a tool for weight loss and too much snacking will either stall weight loss or you could still put on. But I know you know that.

Basically the sleeve is everything that I hoped for and better. I probably enjoy my food more now than ever. When they say not to eat then drink straight after is because if you have a full stomach then add that mouthful of water on top you will be sick. I made that mistake when I was at an Ag Show. I simply forgot and was thirsty. I didn't vomit but boy was I feeling sick and sorry for myself for about half and hour and thought I was gonna chuck.

So yes, you can still have nibbles and wine. But go really slow to start with. There is no soft drink for a while, I think 3 months but I am staying away from them anyway.
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyTue 08 Dec 2009, 10:27 pm

I am now approx 7 months post op, and I can eat anything, I do nibblies when we have friends over, but I can only ever fit in one or two things... and I wait for dinner. I drink before my meals, but try not to during or straight after, and wait usually an hour or so until I feel "empty" to drink again. applesauce has put it in writing that you can eat and drink together, but why? when you can only fit in so much, would you try to drink and get all the healthy goodness from your meal at the same time, when you can drink before or after and get all your nutrition from the meals (paraphrased but giving you the idea). The sleeve is a weightloss tool, and it alone can't help you lose weight, you have to be prepared to change your ways, especailly if these have gotten you to the point of contemplating surgery in the first place. I'm not trying to be horrible, but you can enjoy a little drinkie, and then have a piece of cheese, and then a bit later your meal... there is no need to try and fit it all in together. If you have the operation you are doing it predominantly for your health, so If it were me I'd be looking to change my ways on the whole, and enjoy the occasional drink and cheese but not make it a "must have".
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyTue 08 Dec 2009, 10:18 pm

Hi XBandit...... my doctor has a support group for all his WLS peeps, he does all 3 ops and there is one lady there who had multiple probs with her band BUT she went back and had the slippage fixed and the port moved to a different place and she swears by it!!! There are others who have had the sleeve post band and one who had the roux en y or bypass and they are all happy and all losing weight consistently.
Now with the drinking and eating togther, my surgeon says yes you can eventually and I was discussing this with the dietitian last week. She said she wishes he would add a little more when he says it, such as depending on what you are eating you may be able to drink as well.She feels if you have had rice or pasta if you drink it might go glutinous in your stomach and feel uncomfortable but then again it is a matter of trial and error. Also some time around 3 months post op your stomach stats working properley again and empties more efficiently. I am yet to have that happen and I have had more episodes in the last month of needing to vomit than I had earlier post op.......I have to make sure I chew properley and that the food is very moist and sometimes its difficult to do both of these . Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us up to date with your progress
Linda :)
Back to top Go down
xbandit

Female

PostSubject: It looks like I am not the only early riser...you look great. Thanks..for the reply. One thing though....what happens if you eat and drink together? ohh and is it only for the first few months after the sleave?   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyTue 08 Dec 2009, 9:51 pm

chrisbychic wrote:
hi x-bandit and welcome to the forum
i hope you found the threads where people who have had the band have switched to the sleeve - if not, keep looking as i'm sure it will help you a lot
eating and drinking is not advised, however after time, having some wine and cheese together shouldn't cause any major issues. as a general rule, though, you should avoid it.
Once your sleeve heals, there are very few things that can go wrong, which is one reason i chose it over the band.
As for food gettting stuck - at first, it can be a problem for some, but is usually because they need to slow down the progression to 'real' food after the op, or because they've had a little too much, or haven't chewed well enough - same goes for the vomiting. Of course some ever experience these problems, and once you've had your sleeve for a while, they won't be a problem any more.
Just imagine - no more food getting stuck, no more fills or unfills, no more problems eating bread or steak or salad!
Good luck making your decision - you can't tell i'm a little biased, can you?
Back to top Go down
xbandit

Female

PostSubject: thanks for your response...sounds good..I'fe been too chicken to make an appointment hear my options. i was supposed to see my surgeon last week. i'll give them a call now.   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyTue 08 Dec 2009, 9:47 pm

Kyles wrote:
Hiya xbandit :)

I am still a newbie as far as the sleeve is concerned...12 weeks out today :)

But I wanted to tell you that I have had no problems really at all...once I felt like I might upchuck but I ate too fast and had half a pork strip from the night before...consistency and speed was my enemy...thats all I have had

I can eat anything...bread, steak, pasta rice...all the hard ones that you might have had probs with

I love my sleeve and am so happy that I did have it and like Chris I am a little biased too...good luck with your decision honey :)

PS: Hope to see you around more
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyTue 08 Dec 2009, 7:42 pm

Hiya xbandit :)

I am still a newbie as far as the sleeve is concerned...12 weeks out today :)

But I wanted to tell you that I have had no problems really at all...once I felt like I might upchuck but I ate too fast and had half a pork strip from the night before...consistency and speed was my enemy...thats all I have had

I can eat anything...bread, steak, pasta rice...all the hard ones that you might have had probs with

I love my sleeve and am so happy that I did have it and like Chris I am a little biased too...good luck with your decision honey :)

PS: Hope to see you around more
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyTue 08 Dec 2009, 7:08 pm

hi x-bandit and welcome to the forum
i hope you found the threads where people who have had the band have switched to the sleeve - if not, keep looking as i'm sure it will help you a lot
eating and drinking is not advised, however after time, having some wine and cheese together shouldn't cause any major issues. as a general rule, though, you should avoid it.
Once your sleeve heals, there are very few things that can go wrong, which is one reason i chose it over the band.
As for food gettting stuck - at first, it can be a problem for some, but is usually because they need to slow down the progression to 'real' food after the op, or because they've had a little too much, or haven't chewed well enough - same goes for the vomiting. Of course some ever experience these problems, and once you've had your sleeve for a while, they won't be a problem any more.
Just imagine - no more food getting stuck, no more fills or unfills, no more problems eating bread or steak or salad!
Good luck making your decision - you can't tell i'm a little biased, can you?
Back to top Go down
xbandit

Female

PostSubject: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help EmptyTue 08 Dec 2009, 6:24 pm

This is my first post. I couldn't sleep with the discision to get a sleeve or not. So i thought I might as well search the net to see if I could find an answer. Hence, i came across this friendly forum and have been up reading all night. I got out of bed at 2a.m. and surprised to see that it is now past 5a.m. I thought I had better join up and just ask the questions for the answers that I have been searching for. Otherwise, I may be here all day as well. From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help 725676

I hope someone can help....

My current situation is that after a slippage my Dr. Loi has not removed my band but has pulled it open. So, now I am left th edescision to reconnect it or have a sleeve. Dr. Loi says the golden standard is a sleeve. He says he can't promise that the band will not slip again although he could put in a few stiches to keep it in place.

With the band I did found food got stuck and I did tend to vomit From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help 308167

My concern is that if food gets stuck with a sleeve what happens...with a band you can undo it. A sleeve is permanent. What happens if you drink and eat together? I think I will have a big problem with that one. Wine and cheese will that be a distant memory?

Wow!!! It is soo late/early my husband has just got up to go to work...I'll have to go.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help   From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help Empty

Back to top Go down

From Band to Sleeve with Dr. Loi..should I switch..help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: