80 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
suzie002

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-06-26

Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptyTue 30 Jun 2009, 4:34 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

I have read almost every post on here the past couple of weeks and posted myself and received some valuable feedback. Now I am concerned though. Different topics have postings that talk about stretching your stomach out so fast by eating quickly or drinking too much water. I know we have all had different surgeons but I am worried that some give the impression that it's so easy to stretch it out. Is that true? Can anyone give some feedback that their doctors have told them so that I know? Thank you.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
aprilsun

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Stretching sleeve....   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 2:38 pm

I havent been sleeved yet, so cant put in my experience yet, but a friend of mine had a sleeve done about 3 to 4yrs ago, and she lost a lot of weight...dont know exactly how much, but I nearly freaked out seeing her at a shopping centre one day............ she was skinny, her bones were all sticking out for everywhere. Then I didnt see her for a couple of years, and rang her one day to ask about the sleeve as I was looking into having it done.

She was not a happy lady.............said she had started putting weight on and was devastated, and told me not to go ahead a do it, cause the weight would just come back. Because i hadnt seen her in awhile I asked how much weight she had put on............ she didnt really say, but said that she had got done to a size 8 and that now all her clothes were too tight and she was needing to get bigger ones either 10 or 12.

My theory is that she got down to a weight that was too low for her, and couldnt maintain at that level, either she starved herself on the way down and now her body was not able to keep at that small amount of food and so she might have upped her quantity and was most probably at her ideal weight now......... I say this because she was quite a stocky sort of girl and I just couldnt imagine her a size 8.

I havent seen her so I cant say............ she's a friend that I dont see that often. She had rung her Dr at Mercy Bariatrics and he told her to go in and see him and that the cost of the visit was on him, I'm not sure if she said that he told her that the weight gain was something that could happen later down the track. I suppose I could ring her and find out what happpened, I just dont want her to think Im just ringing her to find out her business, because we are not close friends.
At the time she had her op I didnt know about the sleeve, I thought she had a band put in like me, it was only when I rang her last year that I found out she had the sleeve.
Anyway dont know if thats helpful or not, just thought I would post.

Anna
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 1:34 pm

Yep, my dr did mention that __% did fail but I didn't take that much notice as its got alot to do with the person. I am one determined, and stubborn girl. All I heard was that some people fail, so you must do some exercise to succeed. Which I do anyway, so that is pretty much why I took the plunge to get this operation. However, it costs absolutely nothing to go to an information evening. Ring up the dr who you might think about seeing and ask the questions because every doctor has a different success rate or percentage.

Peazles wrote:
Yep, you're probably right insofar as the stats go - it's more than likely too early to have that kind of data. I'm still interested in hearing what people's surgeons have said to them personally regarding stretching. And don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking you for having an opinion, just trying to highlight that I'm still trying to form my own re. sleeving.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=708312072
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 12:36 pm

Applesauce I was just wondering if you think your sleeve has worked for you?

Its just that I noticed you've only lost approximately 20 kilos (as of July 2008/9??) since your surgery and your goal weight is another 20 kilos away. I can see that you weighed a lot more and you did a fantastic job to get to 118 prior to the sleeve but obviously haven't lost anything in close to a year(??).
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 11:48 am

God this is my biggest fear: FAILING.

Please tell me its difficult to do?
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 11:45 am

Yep, you're probably right insofar as the stats go - it's more than likely too early to have that kind of data. I'm still interested in hearing what people's surgeons have said to them personally regarding stretching. And don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking you for having an opinion, just trying to highlight that I'm still trying to form my own re. sleeving.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 11:19 am

I do not think you are ever going to be able to get scientific evidence if the sleeve stretches or not there are just far to many variables. Every surgeon does a different size even if they use the same guide they all pull tighter or loser from patient to patient as well. I think the only really acurate information is going to be places like this where lots of sleevers are.

I should add those that have had failed sleeves, are those surgeons who seem to have people with VERY large sleeves even if they have so called succeded. I sort of cringe when I see somebody going to one of them. It is very hard all you can do is say talk to your surgeon find out THEIR track record.

I also draw my conclusions from that watching what happens with certain surgeons. I agree it is just my conclusions and they are far from perfect that is for sure. I just think that is a far larger pool that one surgeon doing a study of their patients or even 2 or 3 surgeons doing a study of their patients. A forum like this is a very varied and valuable tool to see information laid out.

Seriously I wouldnt let a surgeon who thought sleeves stretch touch me, nor would I let one who said he had patients that lost to much weight. It is my body I want only the best for this type of surgery.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 11:05 am

Apple, it's good you have drawn your own conclusions and that your belief system, insofar as the sleeve goes, sits comfortably with you. We all should get to that stage before we get sleeved and be comfortable that we're doing the right thing. I'm not there yet.
I'm a 'facts person'. I like medical facts and figures that prove or disprove theories, and medical expert opinion. Has your surgeon told you that your sleeve can't stretch, or do you know of any studies that say this is the case?
My own conclusion thus far is that most stretched sleeves would not be from badly done surgery - I don't believe that there are that many incompetent surgeons out there. I do understand though what you are saying about your body being able to better digest food and thus allow you to eat more, it makes sense.
By the way (and moderators correct me if I am wrong), I don't think Miss was banned by the mods from posting on other threads, but discourage from making her own. I don't mind her posting here.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 10:48 am

I do find it interesting tho with a forum as large as this now that anybody who has gained weight me included when questioned none at all have been able to eat much more than 250ml at on sitting. weight gain was from snacking and very poor food choices.
all those who have screamed my stomach has stretched have also been those who where at a tiny 100ml for an extremely extended time. when questioned again not a single one was eating more than about 250ml at one sitting.
I do have to draw a conclusion from that that yes I am sure there are some stretched stomachs out there either be it badely done surgery or as mamma says maybe a genetic stretchy stomach, but the reality is it is your ability to digest food better as your stomach heals allowing you to eat more often that causes the problem.
I also have to add just about all stomachs will eventually reach 250ml so if you have spent more than a year feeding your metabolizim that tiny amount expect rebound in a serious way not only from double the calories but from the damage done in starvation mode at 100ml long term to your body.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 10:33 am

Mama wrote:
She believed that if you consistently ate beyond the point where you felt satisfied to the point where you felt stuffed you would stretch the stomach. I think this is the point that Miss is making.
Mama

Yep thats the point I was making, thanx Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 314541

Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 618285
Back to top Go down
Mama
Sponsor
Mama

Female
Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 10:24 am

I went for my (late) 12 month check up last week and did the ricecream test - I've written it up in my embryonic diary. I ate about a third of a can of ricecream but the dietician told me she'd had people able to eat 2 full cans in one sitting. I found that pretty sobering.

She believed that if you consistently ate beyond the point where you felt satisfied to the point where you felt stuffed you would stretch the stomach. I think this is the point that Miss is making.

The dietician said that there were people who had been re-sleeved and had then stretched the second sleeve; she put it down to user abuse of the sleeve. I'm sure people with serious psychological issues around food might have trouble changing their behaviour but I'm also wondering whether some people just have a more stretchy stomach. Just a thought - but it's clear that there's still confusion about how things might play out in the long run for most people.

Mama
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 9:20 am

miss eating maccas will not stretch your sleeve it doesnt have magic stretching powder in its ingredients. as always you fail to grasp the reality of this surgery. it is physically impossible to eat an entire pizza, your stomach doesnt stretch to fit it in for heavens sake, if you could eat an entire pizza the surgery has failed.
people are talking the relaxing of the stomach over an extended period of time slowely allowing more food to be eaten.
you do not just stuff your face if you feel like it and your stomach stretchs to hold it.
you had a thread started for you I suggest you put your comments there in future.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 8:53 am

My doctor has this on his website:

Issues with Tube gastrectomy

1. Stomach tube may stretch up over time leading to late weight regain. The extent of this is currently unknown

2. The amount of weight reduction is in the region of 40-60% of excess wt lost over the first 1-2 years.

3. It is a good option for people living in remote areas because it is a "set and forget" operation which requires little post op follow up or nutritional supplements

4. There is no malabsorbtion to nutrients

5. If weight is regained the second stage of the BPD the intestinal bypass can be added... often laparoscopically as well.
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 8:51 am

Carrie, your new tummy can stretch if you continually eat all the bad foods and never listen to your tummy saying to stop! If you choose to eat maccas or a whole pizza (bad choices) and never listen to you tummy when it is saying 'I'm full' thn of course it will stretch. The surgeons must have a technical device that can stretch the tummy to make it bigger or something? Not sure?

Last edited by miss on Sat 17 Apr 2010, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 8:13 am

undersize stomachas are the result of scar tissue forming badly at the time of sleeving. They put a tube down your throat and into your stomach and stretch the inside of the stomach until the scar tissue relaxes.

If you are eating only 100ml at 12 months the chances are you have or have allowed scar tissue to form, but the weight loss from this extended very tiny tummy stage is EXTREMELY addictive and tho people will complain they can not eat much and or are losing to much weight they are VERY reluctant to actually take consistant signifigant steps to fix the problem. They will say they are doing things but when you actually question them it is never consistant and in no way is helping the situation.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 7:21 am

Hi Peazles,

I can't help I'm afraid, but I'm interested in the answers as I have been wondering about this too.

My surgeons literature says "Most failures are due to poor dietary choices ....... although a significant percentage of failures are due to mechanical failure such as the dilatation of the stomach tube."

I have read the posts that say the tube can't stretch, but wonder why not when this is apparently how they cure it if it is undersized.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 7:10 am

Thanks ssjad, I'd love to read that article! I was reading someone's diary too, and their surgeon had told them that it certainly can stretch, and that they had operated on a few people (sleeved them again) because of the stretching. I would like to read why it can't stretch (if that's the case) as I can't figure it out myself =p
Thanks sssss, if I find anything away from this site, I'll post it.
Cos im worth it, I'd appreciate it if you asked your surgeon =)
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 7:07 am

This is purely my own opinion Peazles, I can't see that the small amount of stomach we are left with would really have much capacity TO stretch.

I'll ask my surgeon next week though, it is an interesting thought.
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 7:06 am

Hi Peazles...

Was definitely told by surgical staff (dietician and assessor) that there is now evidence that sleeves can stretch and discussion re potential options of second sleeving (something of which I have no interest at all). One conversation specifically included the words..."once we thought the sleeve was a permanent solution and you couldn't put weight on after having it done...now we know there is evidence that this is not the case....and we'll be sending you out a warning letter at 18mths telling you to be very very careful". I also was sleeved through Mercy Bariatrics...and I know others have been told the same by that clinic....just as I am aware from previous discussion on the forum that some people do not believe this is a problem or real. Personally, I hope the surgeon's wrong...but until I know for sure I'm going to pay particular attention to how I'm feeling/eating in about 18mths time....

Hope you post a summary of your conclusions and good luck in the info hunt.

S
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 7:03 am

hmm - I read in my WLS travels yesterday a scientific (peer reviewed) article (my favourites) that the sleeve can't stretch. I wouldn't be able to tell you where it was sorry. But if I come across another I'll post it here.
My surgeon (Ian Michell) stated that sleeves CAN stretch. Personally I think that if sleeves do start stretching down the track that more surgeons are going to have to do the BPD/DS
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female

PostSubject: Stretching sleeves ...   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2010, 6:36 am

I know that quite a few people on this forum are of the opinion that a sleeve, if done correctly, cannot stretch. Can people please tell me if their surgeon has told them this specifically, or if they've just heard it 'somewhere'. Alternatively, could you please also post if your surgeon has told you that your sleeve can stretch.
If you've read a good, science based article that gives valid reasons as to why your sleeve cannot stretch, could you please point me in the direction of it, as I cannot find anything that tells me that a sleeve can't stretch.
Thanks so much.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Mar 2010, 3:38 am

I am always thinking oh my gawd I am eating way more, so I drag out my little bowl from the cuboard and have dinner in that and what do you know yeap that is all I am eating hehehehe I tend to eye ball stuff now but I do get worried and yes check it with my bowl. I also know from the amount in lean cusines, as they are my stand by lunch during the week so I have one of those at least once a week. I can sometimes push it and finish the 280gram if I take my time but most times it is not worth the effort to do it.

Snacking is the problem I can snack now, it is evil ;)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Mar 2010, 8:35 pm

Actually I am the same as Lady Helena...very rarely do I experience hunger...I do however get busy and forget to eat (which by the way does not help weightloss at all...lol) and then I get all funny feeling and realise crap I havent eaten...so sometimes its my body telling me out of necessity
Back to top Go down
DUSTY
DUSTY

Male
Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Mar 2010, 2:22 pm

Im geting close to a year out and i would say i can only eat one more spoonfull now then i could at the 3 month mark .everytime that i feel like i can eat more its usally because i ate to fast and about 2 minutes later it hits me and i either feel real uncomfortable or throw up that extra bite i shouldnt have ate. I think 9 out of 10 times its our minds playing the old tricks on us.Sometimes after ive been working hard or out hunting hard ill feel real hungry and ill be with my buddys and go get dinner and theyll order and bunch of big portion stuff and ill order a bigger portion because my minds telling me im starving and end up getting full on my same 4 mouthfulls just like always and then sit there and watch the guys chow down with a ton of left over food on my plate.......lol... our minds are still food addict's and will try to trick us every chance it gets.. Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 314562
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Mar 2010, 11:23 am

Hi Issi
I'm not sure where you're at, timewise, so not sure what the amounts are you can be eating... but have you tried putting your meal in a cup? I know it sounds silly, but, at 8 weeks, I can eat between 150 - 200ml a meal, depending on what it actually is. This I need to do 5 - 6 times a day. I'm tending to eat more stew type foods as they're easier for me to take to work, so salad type food I can't judge, sorry. I "forgot" the other day, and ate a bit more. Felt overfull and ill for an hour afterwards. Won't do that again in a hurry!!!
The hunger, I don't feel, but referred pain, yes.
I asked my GP about that, because when I have a mouthful of my cup of tea, I can feel it "go" right down through my stomach and into my abdomen, which is impossible! Referred pain!
Back to top Go down
The Lady Helena
Part of the furniture
The Lady Helena

Female
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Mar 2010, 10:20 am

Hi Issi...about the hunger, I experienced hunger bad enough to keep me awake immediately post surgery but now that I'm three months out I hardly experience any hunger at all...I have no appetite and the only thing that lets me know that I have to eat right now is low blood sugar symptoms. As for stretching your stomach I had read somewhere that the most elastic part of your stomach is the part they remove so the tube part is the most rigid tissue and it would take a concerted effort to stretch it. Cheers,
Back to top Go down
TexasBell
Part of the furniture
TexasBell

Female
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Mar 2010, 4:35 am

Does anyone know when the "long term studies" will be available and can answer some of these questions? Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you stretch your stomach   Can you stretch your stomach - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Can you stretch your stomach
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next