Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does the Stomach stretch after some time?

Go down 
+6
chrisbychic
MissMelly
ozrick33
MissHel
Strawberrychick
ummaleah
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

Does the Stomach stretch after some time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does the Stomach stretch after some time?   Does the Stomach stretch after some time? EmptyThu 24 May 2012, 5:27 am

I don't know that it stretches, but the swelling from the surgery definitely takes a long time to go away, and the scar along the suture line takes time just as our external scars do to develop. So overall your capacity does change over time and although the sleeve obviously helps, it's still up to you to regulate your intake eventually.

Me, after almost 2 years, I can eat more than I could postop, but I still get waiters asking me what's wrong with my meal all the time. I try to order appetizers instead of a full meal. Meals are so big here in America that it's impossible to finish one - otherwise I just ask for a takehome box right at the start of the meal! It does depend what I eat too - I could eat a box of cookies in one go still if I tried, as they disintegrate (although I'd likely get an awful sugar rush feeling I've had once after too much sweets and never want again, threw up all night and felt like passing out). If I eat protein though, one egg and a bit of bacon is my limit.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Does the Stomach stretch after some time?   Does the Stomach stretch after some time? EmptyWed 23 May 2012, 8:21 am

I was told that once the stomach is fully healed it will not stretch because of all the scar tissue.

I can eat no more for breakfast now two and a half years out than I did at 6 months out.
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Does the Stomach stretch after some time?   Does the Stomach stretch after some time? EmptyWed 23 May 2012, 7:41 am

I totally agree with Tash ......... I am 6 months out and i can eat a bit more than before ........ i stick to 3 meals a day with no snacks but sometimes a might have a yogurt inbetween ....... Grazing is a problem especially if you stay home ...... try and keep busy so food isn't a issue ... I am real happy with my sleeve ... It's the best thing i' ve ever done ......... I am still learning with my weight loss tool everyday....... Love it ...
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Does the Stomach stretch after some time?   Does the Stomach stretch after some time? EmptyMon 21 May 2012, 3:14 am

Yes it does. I could fit much more in my tummy from about 5 months out. So I need to not eat till I am over full. Watch my portions. Some days my tummy is bigger and some days it is back to tiny again and can't fit much in. Mostly able to fit more in though. I agree with all the advice here. Just try to stay with your recommended amounts and don't graze. Try to have treats very sparingly. It is easy to get into the habit of treats way too often. Stick to the basics. Still will never be able to eat like I did pre sleeve which is wonderful. I still have an appetite but nothing like it was before. Now I feel like a small piece of chocolate or a homemade biccy or piece of cake rather that feeling like a whole pizza or a large serve of fried fish and chips etc. So the damage I can do is so minamalised. It is a great tool but you still need to work it further out.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Does the Stomach stretch after some time?   Does the Stomach stretch after some time? EmptySun 20 May 2012, 11:22 pm

Okay, so I posted this reply and then copied it to my diary for myself, but when I came back here, it wasn't there! Luckily, the diary copy stuck, so here it is again:

Well, nearly 4 years out, I can eat much more now than a couple of years ago. My doc had told me that the stomach would 'relax', but not stretch, too. Times may have changed since my last consult, though, which was over 3 years ago, so there's more info from us 'oldies' for the new sleevers.

HOWEVER if I'd have stuck to what I was eating 2 years ago, I wouldn't now be having the increases in weight that I have now. It's been a stressful couple of years, with lots of operations, hubby getting sick, my mental health going downhill again (and that always leads me to food), and now moving - again. Without the sleeve, I have no doubt that I'd be in serious health trouble just now, and have put on at least 20kg on top of the 150 I used to weigh.

As it is, I have put on some weight but can seriously say that the sleeve has been the best thing that I've ever done to help my own health. I became complacent after 2 years of being able to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, with no ill effects. It was a dream come true, and I want it back! But that's not going to happen, so I just have to get it together soon and get back on track. I know, I've been saying that for the last couple of years, but as I said, they've been tough ones.

I hope that you find this information helpful.
Back to top Go down
MissMelly
Part of the furniture
MissMelly

Female
Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2012-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Does the Stomach stretch after some time?   Does the Stomach stretch after some time? EmptySun 20 May 2012, 11:02 pm

I am only 12 weeks out so can't really speak from personal experience, however my friend is 3.5 years out and now says that she can eat more than she could before ie when the sleeve was first done she could only eat 1/4 of a sandwich now she could eat the whole thing, but she makes sure she doesn't she only eats 1/2 or 3/4 as she doesn't want to put on weight, she watches her weight carefully and lets it fluctuate between 61-64kg if it goes up then she does protein only for 3-4 days until it drops again.

I spoke to my dietician and she said a number of long term Sleevers are putting on weight, however only the ones that are making bad food choices and are having consistently more than 3 meals a day and snacking and grazing all day. So I think as previously stated the sleeve is a tool and you need to use the sleeve correctly to make it work for you.
Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male
Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2012-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Does the Stomach stretch after some time?   Does the Stomach stretch after some time? EmptySun 20 May 2012, 7:49 am

I think it might a little, however, I have been told for it to happen you need to consistently eat beyond the full feeling, which does mean pain. I am not concerned about it. It certainly cannot stretch to anywhere near its old size!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sydneyinsurancebroker.com.au
MissHel
Part of the furniture
MissHel

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2012-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Does the Stomach stretch after some time?   Does the Stomach stretch after some time? EmptySat 19 May 2012, 11:58 am

Ummaleah - why are you stressing? Your sleeve didn't lose 60 kilos - you did!
The sleeve can't work without you and judging from your results you've mastered portion control and the lifestyle change.

Aside from me thinking this GP has some sort of odd agenda - maybe they just aren't a fan of the sleeve and want to discourage people, I don't know, but sure - the sleeve can fail, especially if someone wants to push the boundaries with every meal.

Bottom line - don't worry! It's simply not possible to wake up one day fat again, you would have to work hard against your sleeve for that. And if you do notice you put on a kilo or two, it's easier to take action to shift it.

Take care
H
Back to top Go down
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female
Number of posts : 1211
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Does the Stomach stretch after some time?   Does the Stomach stretch after some time? EmptySat 19 May 2012, 10:44 am

I don't have scientific info or evidence as such but my surgeon told me it can and does happen. The stomach will never stretch again like it once did but my surgeon described it as the stomach will become a little more relaxed and pliable over time, especially if you consistently put in a little more than you should. Those who stick rigorously to portion control probably don't have the issue.

My surgeon described it as let's say I can eat half a ham sandwich 6 months after surgery. He said that if I consistently or frequently eat a little more than I should, to the point of fullness, I am forcing that pliability back into my stomach and 12 months after that, I will find that I can eat the whole ham sandwich.
Back to top Go down
ummaleah

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Does the Stomach stretch after some time?   Does the Stomach stretch after some time? EmptySat 19 May 2012, 10:09 am

HI,

I was sleeved about 1 year and 4 months back...have done very well over 60 kilos down and really happy.

I heard the other day from a doctor who sees lapband and sleeve patients and he told me that many who had the sleeve same time are me are starting to put on weight.

He said that is becoming common now to see G. Sleeve patients putting on the weight again.....I was horrified and he said the stomach stretches back.

Has anyone got any information regarding this?

regards

UmmAleah Does the Stomach stretch after some time? 697586

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does the Stomach stretch after some time?   Does the Stomach stretch after some time? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does the Stomach stretch after some time?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: