Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study

Go down 
+2
krakow57
Melissa Opozda
6 posters
AuthorMessage
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyThu 05 May 2016, 1:01 pm

The thing is I don't know of any papers about why water is so hard to drink after the sleeve.  I have also bee told its the surface tension etc... but as far as I know, ther eis not study ( how can you study that?).

It seems to be very common, we seem to have a few posts about people saying they have trouble with water.  Its seem the surface tension thing is the most common answer.  Will have to google some more of the molecules theory...

:P
Back to top Go down
Melissa Opozda

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-04-18

Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyTue 03 May 2016, 3:33 am

Box of Jewels wrote:
Very common.   The surface tension of water in particular makes it harder for a lot of people.
Also = the question about cordial etc - no option there to differentiate between sugar vs no sugar varieties.  A lot of us add cordial (most of us use sugar free) to change the surface tension of water to make it easier to drink.   I can't drink water as fast as I can other fluids.  I don't have an issue getting volume in if I add cordial/make tea etc - but I would struggle on straight water.

Also - no option to mention the protien drinks we use.  A lot of us use cyborg stuff - it's low cal, tastes like cordial, but is high in protein - to up our protein intake.
Sorry about not including protein powder/drinks in there - and thank you for letting me know. That's definitely something I'll note for future work.

I just read in a Facebook patient group that someone's surgeon or dietitian had said that the molecules of plain water are too 'dense' to go down easily after surgery (I'm not sure why though), but that adding cordial or similar changes the molecule's shape (or maybe forces space between the molecules?), making the water lighter/less dense/easier to drink. It's really interesting if so! I've not seen any published research on drinking patterns after bariatric surgery...
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyMon 02 May 2016, 10:35 pm

Very common.   The surface tension of water in particular makes it harder for a lot of people.
Also = the question about cordial etc - no option there to differentiate between sugar vs no sugar varieties.  A lot of us add cordial (most of us use sugar free) to change the surface tension of water to make it easier to drink.   I can't drink water as fast as I can other fluids.  I don't have an issue getting volume in if I add cordial/make tea etc - but I would struggle on straight water.

Also - no option to mention the protien drinks we use.  A lot of us use cyborg stuff - it's low cal, tastes like cordial, but is high in protein - to up our protein intake.

Actually, that's a research paper in itself.   Most of us are using body building gear for protein, with no research that it's actually helping bariatrics, even though my surgeons office suggests we use it.
Back to top Go down
Melissa Opozda

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyMon 02 May 2016, 2:02 pm

greenfrog wrote:
I just did the questionnaire, .  I wanted to add, it would be interesting to also ask more questions about what people are drinking.  We focus a lot on food, but there are quite a few people that I know that have trouble drinking water after the surgery.

I k now it hurts my tummy still 2 years out.  There is lots of talk/posting on surface tension of water etc.  But I have recently realised, I have never read any proper studies.  Why is this so? I suppose its hard to test.

But still interesting to see if people are actually drinking 2 litres a day and if there drinking water (straight) or adding to it, ie cordial, orange or lemon slices...

Anyway, but my 2 cents.

Good luck with it and would be an interesting read either way.
Thank you greenfrog! And as I responded to others, I'll be back to let you know what I find.

That's actually a really interesting point about drinking... I haven't seen any research papers about variations in patient experiences of drinking liquids after surgery either. Do you know if experiencing discomfort or pain is common?
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyMon 02 May 2016, 1:17 pm

I just did the questionnaire, .  I wanted to add, it would be interesting to also ask more questions about what people are drinking.  We focus a lot on food, but there are quite a few people that I know that have trouble drinking water after the surgery.

I k now it hurts my tummy still 2 years out.  There is lots of talk/posting on surface tension of water etc.  But I have recently realised, I have never read any proper studies.  Why is this so? I suppose its hard to test.

But still interesting to see if people are actually drinking 2 litres a day and if there drinking water (straight) or adding to it, ie cordial, orange or lemon slices...

Anyway, but my 2 cents.

Good luck with it and would be an interesting read either way.
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female
Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2016-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyMon 02 May 2016, 10:44 am

Thank you Mel,

I, like Synna, would love to see the results, and am looking forward to what you find, and to any links you may post in the future.

Good luck with your thesis and PHD.

I'll do the questionnaire now    :)

Margo
Back to top Go down
agus
agus

Female
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2016-03-28

PostSubject: start   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyMon 02 May 2016, 9:56 am

I am at the beginning of the sleeve journey so not eligible but I would love to see the results at the end of your study!
good luck!
Back to top Go down
Melissa Opozda

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyMon 02 May 2016, 9:51 am

krakow57 wrote:
Hi Mel,

I'll have a look at this, thanks for suggesting this.
Hopefully it may help myself and others.

Margo.
Thanks Margo!!
Back to top Go down
Melissa Opozda

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyMon 02 May 2016, 9:49 am

Synna wrote:
Very interesting! I have completed it.

Can you post us a link to your results or your thesis once you complete your PhD? I'd be interested in having a look at what you find. I'm assuming it will be a while, no rush :)
Thanks Synna! Really appreciate your participation!

I'll absolutely come back and post an update on what I find (and hopefully a link to my PhD) once everything's complete - should be around the end of this year or early next year. :)
Back to top Go down
Synna
Part of the furniture
Synna

Female
Number of posts : 436
Location : That twilight space between sleep and consciousness
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyMon 02 May 2016, 9:43 am

Very interesting! I have completed it.

Can you post us a link to your results or your thesis once you complete your PhD? I'd be interested in having a look at what you find. I'm assuming it will be a while, no rush :)
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female
Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2016-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyMon 02 May 2016, 8:37 am

Hi Mel,

I'll have a look at this, thanks for suggesting this.
Hopefully it may help myself and others.

Margo.
Back to top Go down
Melissa Opozda

Female

PostSubject: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study EmptyMon 02 May 2016, 8:00 am

Admins please delete if this type of post isn’t allowed (sorry if so!) and apologies for cross-posting across the site.

My name is Melissa Opozda, and I’m a PhD candidate at The University of Adelaide being supervised by Professor Anna Chur-Hansen and Professor Gary Wittert. I’m also a practising psychologist, and have worked with bariatric patients before and after surgery and used to lead a banding support group in Adelaide. 

For my current research, I’m asking people who have had bariatric surgery to complete a single, anonymous, online questionnaire that will take around 40 minutes. You’ll be asked questions including about your surgery, your presurgery and current eating habits, eating behaviours like bingeing, grazing, and emotional eating, hunger and appetite, your health, and your experiences of eating before and after surgery. All data will be securely stored and no participant will be identifiable in any publications arising from this study.

We are looking for participants who currently live in Australia, and have a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (aka ‘bypass’), adjustable gastric banding (aka ‘banding’ or ‘lap band’), and/or vertical sleeve gastrectomy (aka ‘sleeve’) that was performed in Australia, and who were 18+ years old when that surgery was performed. You need to fit all of these criteria to participate.

For further information and to participate, please visit: http://bariatricstudy.com.

Please feel free to respond to this post, email me at melissa.opozda@adelaide.edu.au, or phone or text me on 0490 044 811 with any questions or comments.

Thanks so much for your participation!

Best wishes
Mel
bariatricstudy.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study   Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study Empty

Back to top Go down

Seeking participants for University of Adelaide Bariatric Eating Experiences Study
Page 1 of 1