8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

staying in hospital longer than expected Empty
PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptySat 13 Jun 2015, 4:49 am

I self funded recently. I do have phi but The Bupa couples cover I have did not cover surgery in the private hospital where my surgeon works out of. Also doesn't cover Bariatric procedures. I paid a little over $21000. I spent 3nights in a private room with no complications, luckily things worked out for the best. That being said I made my decision with the full knowledge that if things got more complicated then it would have been hard financiallly.

From this side of the op it's the best decision I ever made.

Back to top Go down
Debstar
Debstar

Female
Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2015-04-28

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptySat 13 Jun 2015, 3:36 am

If you do the figures I will have spent $15900 with 2 yrs phi and out of pocket surgery coats over a two year period, so I guess it works out much of a muchness. I will be keeping the phi after surgery because we have a few kids to take care of. Listening to others opinions helped me to make my choice. We do what feels right for us at the time, best of luck and hope if all turns out brilliantly.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptySat 13 Jun 2015, 2:27 am

Yep, its everyone's decision when and with which surgeon. 

For me, I just like to make sure I'm covered and feel comfortable with my choices... I want the same for everyone else too.

To tell you the truth, its been a while since I have seen a price for self funded people posted, but I think the last time it was about 15K.  Although, when I was looking into it, I couldn't find anyone in Melbourne who would take on self funded patients for the sleeve, only the band.

Either way, the sleeve is a great choice.  Much better than the band in my opinion! hehe

I pay PHI as a single and its $104 a fortnight.  I think I spent about 5K on my surgery (not including health insurance and my $500 excess).  If I remember correctly my health insurance paid out about 12 or 13K for my hospital stay.
Back to top Go down
Debstar
Debstar

Female
Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2015-04-28

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptyFri 12 Jun 2015, 7:16 am

I also pay $400 a month for 2 adults and 6 children listed on it. I have a $500 hospital excess ( My choice) the anaesthetic is $500 and surgeon $5330. These will be my out of pocket expenses. Then there is initial consult and dietitian and opitfast as extra costs. Although Medicare and phi will pick up some of those costs. I joined phi 2yrs ago I booked in for the sleeve 12 mths later then decided to try hypnosis and cancelled the surgery, now I have a date for the sleeve as my weight is creeping up again and down the roller coaster I go again.
Back to top Go down
SammySleever
Part of the furniture
SammySleever

Female
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2015-01-10

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptyFri 12 Jun 2015, 2:12 am

How much is your PHI??? I pay almost $400 a month for top cover and extras for a family. That's $4800 for the year - there's no way you'll be able to self fund for that much.

If you need a night in ICU that could be an extra $10 000  - you won't be able to go public.
Back to top Go down
reneeski2
reneeski2

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2015-04-24

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptyFri 12 Jun 2015, 1:59 am

Hi Greenfrog

I have thought about private health insurance and was going to join and wait the year but my health issues are getting worse and im so scared of putting on more weight and know this is the time to do it otherwise I wont do it.. I have already nearly cancelled the surgery so many times and thought to myself you can do this alone but I really don't think I can.

Plus the amount I would be paying in PHI would be close to what I am paying out self funding it , I know the security to have the insurance incase of a longer stay etc is really good and it would make sense to have that when I am so worried about an issue .. Thank you its not being a pain at all it makes sense :-)
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptyThu 11 Jun 2015, 10:48 am

Just to be a pain, have you thought about getting PHI and waiting a year... It seems like al ong time, but it will be here before you know it.

I know what it's like to want to do this ASAP.  I nearly went and got the band because I could get that straight away.  In the end I got PHI.  At least it will be one less thing off your mind when you do have surgery.

Note: I always say, get PHI and wait the year.  But of course in the end it is up to you.  :)
Back to top Go down
reneeski2
reneeski2

Female

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptyThu 11 Jun 2015, 8:43 am

Thanks Nini

Yeah I do have to have it sorted have another apt on Monday to meet with Dr before surgery next week so will mention all of this..

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptyTue 09 Jun 2015, 11:16 am

Hi reneeski2,

You need to have it sorted out before your surgery. Discuss with your surgeon what would happen if you did need to stay extra time. Does he have practicing rights at the local public hospital? If not is there a surgeon he knows that would take over your care? What happens if the public hospital has no beds available? If you do have to transfer to the public hospital who pays for the ambulance ride?
I don't mean to worry you but these things do happen and need to be addressed before hand. 

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
reneeski2
reneeski2

Female

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptyTue 09 Jun 2015, 10:45 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply's ..

Bellaballerina that doesn't sound nice how awful for you ... One of my friends got a urinary track infection but they didn't pick it up until she took herself off to the local public hospital after many tests and very bad pain where she thought she was dying they finally picked it up... not nice..

Bumbles Oh wow 18k that's insane ..... husband better be very firm and get me out of there lol
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptyTue 09 Jun 2015, 8:35 am

I stayed in for 6 nights.

The statement I got a copy of that my PHI paid was around $18k for that time.
Back to top Go down
Bellaballerina33
Part of the furniture
Bellaballerina33

Female
Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2014-10-13

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptyTue 09 Jun 2015, 7:45 am

Hi reneeski2, I was in for 10 days, on day 4 I got an infection which they had to get under control with Iv antibiotics. The infection itself was more likely related to the operation itself rather than the sleeve, but I still needed to stay in for the extra time
Back to top Go down
reneeski2
reneeski2

Female

PostSubject: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected EmptyTue 09 Jun 2015, 5:41 am

Hi All

I was just wondering if anyone has had to stay in hospital for longer than the 3 nights?
As i am self funding the surgery in a private hospital I am worried that if something goes wrong and I have to stay longer that we may be up for a massive hospital Bill?
I have told my husband if something goes wrong to have them transfer me out to a public hospital quick smart lol but i am not sure it is that easy... Has anyone gone through this or anyone else concerened about this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: staying in hospital longer than expected   staying in hospital longer than expected Empty

Back to top Go down

staying in hospital longer than expected
Page 1 of 1