DayleD
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Marymiggs

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2014-11-29

Eating Rice once completely healed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyThu 19 Feb 2015, 4:15 am

Hi Wendy,
Thanks so much for your helpful post. It was such a relief to me to know that someone else is doing the same thing.  I am eating 6 times a day as well as I get so hungry and the dietician said it's fine, but I felt that I was having too much.  Like you though it is only very small amounts at a time.  I have been counting calories most days just to be sure that I'm not overdoing it. I know we are not supposed to, I guess it's just a habit!  Like you I'm usually between 1000 and 1200.
I've just been on my sewing machine taking in some slacks that were 6 inches too big in the waist!  I don't want to buy any more summer things, so am making do til winter!  Not a bad feeling!
It's great to get such tremendous support on here, again thanks wendy and hope things keep on going well for you.
all the best,  susan
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 17 Feb 2015, 9:00 am

Hey MaryMiggs, Not sure how many meals a day you have but I also get hunger at times - I eat six times a day though (3 main meals, morning tea, arvo tea and supper) and find this works very well for me - Ooh, I've actually just realised I eat 7 times a day as I have "crunch munch" with the kids in my class at 10am. The positive for me is that I only need a small amount to feel satisfied so I'm not really worried about it and am losing weight fairly steadily.  

As an example, today I had my tea with sugar and milk then 1/2 cup nutri-grain w/ 1/3 cup skim milk for breakfast, 6 almonds and a few dried cranberries for Crunch Munch at 10am, a boiled egg, carrot sticks and hommus for morning tea, 2 vita weats topped with tasty cheese and apple slices for lunch and a nectarine for afternoon tea.  I am planning about 1 and a half Sushi Train plates for dinner and my 150ml skim milk with a Paradise Rich Tea biscuit for supper.  Now this would actually be a low calorie day for me as it adds up to under 900 calories (which I rarely do) HOWEVER (confession time) it was Shrove Tuesday today and at work our social club put on pancakes and I couldn't resist so ate one with jam and aerosole cream (1/2 at a time at diferent times of the day - when I had room in my tummy, lol) BUT even with that added, I am sitting just under my normal goal of 1200 calories for the day.

I guess my point is that the hunger doesn't need to be an issue as long as you manage it with good food choices (not like pancakes with jam and cream, lol) and maintain a calorie range which still allows you to lose weight.  I think the big difference was that before the sleeve I got hungry often and rarely felt satisfied, whereas after the sleeve when I get hungry, I am easily satisfied.

Sorry if this came across as naggy, it was supposed to be supportive, but reading back I'm not sure I have been that helpful, lol.  Will post anyway with this disclaimer on the end, lol.

Best wishes,
Back to top Go down
Marymiggs

Female

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 17 Feb 2015, 4:02 am

Hi everyone,
I'm 10weeks post op. So far have lost 17.00kgs. but the weight loss is slowing. I feel upset because I get so hungry between meals. I didn't think I would feel hungry at all!  I discussed it with the dietician and she said that some people need to snack and some don't. So I have snacks between meals.
Both the dietician and doctor stressed the importance of exercise which I am doing. Some days walk aerobics and some days just walking. 
I feel really anxious that I'll fail. I guess a lifetime of failed diets leaves it's mark!
Wendy you have lost so much for 4 months, I so hope I can do the same!
I seem to be able to eat pretty much anything, but just small amounts. One of my favourite snacks at the moment is stewed apple with a spoonful of yogurt and just a little sultanas and nuts. really yummy!
I can't wait to get under the 100kg mark, just 3 kgs to go!
Good luck to you all.
cheers Susan
Back to top Go down
nightowl

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptySun 01 Feb 2015, 8:05 am

I'm 10 months post-op and can eat anything. I can eat rice, couscous and pasta but have only a very small amount as it fills me up too much, ditto potato. I can eat a whole sandwich/wrap or small bread roll. When I have pasta, I usually have about 6 spirals/corkscrews and a couple of tablespoons of sauce with cheese and that does me. I tried the cauliflower faux-rice, and much as I enjoy cauli, I didn't like it, the texture reminded me of shredded coconut which I loathe.

I should go back to my food diary, I haven't lost anything since before Christmas and the parties are over (sadly, it seems my honeymoon is also over).
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptySun 01 Feb 2015, 7:54 am

30 kilos sounds great in 6 months... But obviously I'm not a Dr. Hehe

I can eat about a cup of food. But depends what it is. So it's hard to say. The more protein in the meal, the less I can eat.
Personally I would struggle on three half a cup meals and nuts. I have three meals and two or three snacks.
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptySun 01 Feb 2015, 7:42 am

mookratzer  I managed a whole sandwich last week without any issues and I am 4 1/2 months out. I can also eat a weight watchers meal, although I guess if I squished it into a cup it might not be as much as it seems. I have started to worry that I am able to eat too much.

Others will probably have more info for you. Congrats on losing 30kg that is great work.
Back to top Go down
mookratzer
mookratzer

Female
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2015-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptySun 01 Feb 2015, 7:28 am

I am 6 months post-op, and I have no restrictions on what I eat, apart from the amount!  I saw my surgeon last Thursday, (6 months post-op exactly), and even though I have lost 30 kilo's... that's right... 30 kg's, he said he expected more.  He gave me a lecture on how much to eat, and when to eat it.  I want to ask anybody out there who is watching/reading/listening to this.  How much do you eat at each meal?  I am expected to eat half a cup of whatever for each meal, and a handful of nuts for afternoon tea (If I feel like it).  Well, let me tell you that I have kept a food diary now for 3 days, and I am eating more than 1.5 cups of food.  Is anybody else doing 1.5 cups of food?  I don't want to ruin my chances of losing more weight, and keeping it  off, but I can't survive on 1.5 cups of food for the whole day.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 11:57 am

Fat20sFit30s, 

I am 4 months out and have also eaten rice as part of sushi or with a stir-fry or curry.  I just eat much less. But if you love it, eat it! Just everything in moderation --> except cauliflower obviously, gorge on that stuff! Lol! kidding - or not :)  

Susan, my dietitian was the same - eating a normal diet with a good balance of food groups (including grains).  He was anti being protein focused.  Well so far this has worked for me as I have been losing around half to a kilo a week, my blood results came back all good at my recent surgeon's follow-up, and I haven't had any of the hair loss that some others have complained about.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 11:14 am

Sometimes your new tummy just says...
Nope! I'm not having this!

Rocket is one of those things for me.  I used to love rocket, now I can feel it sitting there.
I can eat toasted bread, but soft fluffy bread... nope. Tummy does not like it.
I am only 7 months out so that could change.  But I'm not fussed, since I have always been a cruchy type of food person.

Ps I can eat rice, I prefer not too (wastes space that could go to better/yummier food).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 10:41 am

Last edited by annabanana87 on Fri 01 May 2015, 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 9:46 am

While I was losing I didn't eat bread, rice or pasta. Since I am in maintenance I occasionally have a small serving of them if I feel like it. Tonight I had Spaghetti bolognese, I had mostly mince sauce and just a very small amount of spaghetti. If I start to put on any weight I just cut out the refined carbs for a couple of weeks. I love sushi rolls, yummy.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture
QuirkyQuaintrelle

Female
Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2014-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 9:21 am

Lol! Fouscous! How do you make it, I'm totally intrigued.

I've had sushi and fried rice without any issues, just not very much of it!
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TheQuirkyQuaintrelle
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 6:02 am

I'm a big fan of 'fouscous' (fake cous cous using cauliflower), it's delicious with the right spices and seasoning.
Back to top Go down
meg_82
meg_82

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 5:12 am

I've been seeing the whole cauliflower as rice thing all over the net recently. I haven't tried it but that might be an idea?
Back to top Go down
http://myfancysleeve.wordpress.com
Marymiggs

Female

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 4:48 am

Hi,
I saw my dietician today (I'm 6 weeks postop) and she said that I should now eat completely normal food whatever I feel like, but just in the right amounts.
I notice that on this forum though that everyone's doctor says different things, but I do think we should eat normally, but make sure it's healthy. She also said that the occasional splurge on something you really want is alright.
Hope that helps you. Best wishes,  Susan
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 2:09 am

Hello!

I'm six months post op and I eat rice, pasta and bread - all in small amounts, every now and then.  I have a small amount of rice with a stir fry or indian occasionally, and had spaghetti bolognaise the other night!  (not a regular occurrence).  The issue when I eat rice, pasta or bread is the fact that I can't eat alot of the meal as it really fills me up quickly...therefore by choosing to eat these carbs it's kind of a waste of tummy space when you can eat other foods (protein and vegies) that are so much more healthy and nutritious for you.  I have sushi twice a week for lunch (there is an amazing Japanese place near my work) and while I find it filling, I thoroughly enjoy my one tiny little sushi roll for lunch, it feels like a real treat considering the rest of the week I generally don't eat rice or pasta.

Cheers, DayleD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 1:48 am

Last edited by annabanana87 on Fri 01 May 2015, 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eating Rice once completely healed   Eating Rice once completely healed Empty

Back to top Go down

Eating Rice once completely healed
Page 1 of 1